Shenmue - any fans?

Churchy99

Adventurer
Hey I just thought I'd ask if there any Shenmue fans among us because I love the story so much - one of gamings forgotten gems.

Although it looks increasingly likely that Shenmue 3 will never happen (I don't count Shenmue online as being any part of the series if that ever came out) it got me thinking is there any other form of media that they could at least finish the story? I was thinking maybe finish it in a graphic novel - I couldn't remember if they already released one

Anyway, I would like to hear people's thoughts on Shenmue, perhaps your favourite character and what you would like the future to have in store for this ill-fated franchise.

YES. I loved Shenmue, and I have to agree that I don't see a Shenmue 3 coming anytime soon, which is a shame, I'd have loved to have seen where it went from the end of the 2nd game.

It's been so long since I've played it, but I remember really liking Ren in the 2nd game, I think just overall I liked the 2nd game, of course saying that it's been years since I've played the first game all the way through again and can't honestly remember anything past/during the harbour area.

I'd like there to be a 3rd game but it's wishful thinking really, I would like to see how it all turns out though, how I'm not too sure though.

I never got round to playing the first game, but I watched my younger brother play through it. Shenmue II tho, I couldn't put down. One of the best games I ever played I loved it, the quicktime events were awesome as well as the fighting system. I watched a video of Shenmue I running on a Saturn, it's original intended platform, kinda glad they saved it for the DC.

I'll always be a huuuuuuuge Sega fanboy, can't help it. Besides it's another reason for me to hate on Sony :wink:

I'm a bit of a Shenmue fan.

6954451a5984617973l.jpg

Oh man, I love Shenmue! My favourite games of all time, or at least in the top 5.

Was anyone else a little shocked by the ending to number 2? Really didn't expect that. Kinda Zeldaish, not that I'm complaining.

There was news, and a video, a while ago of Shenmue 3 being an MMORPG. Or was that fake?

Cool cosplay by the way ^_^

hell yeh i'm a shenmue fan
my dreamcast is gathering dust at the moment so i never play the first one.
i still play 2 on the 360 sometimes though. (voice acting = fail)

Generic Fan Boy said:
Oh man, I love Shenmue! My favourite games of all time, or at least in the top 5.

Was anyone else a little shocked by the ending to number 2? Really didn't expect that. Kinda Zeldaish, not that I'm complaining.

There was news, and a video, a while ago of Shenmue 3 being an MMORPG. Or was that fake?

Cool cosplay by the way ^_^

Yeah that must be a publicity shot for the 3rd - I know what you mean it was zeldaish but thats why I wanted to see what happened next! a real cliffhanger!

The MMORPG you speak of was called Shenmue Online but that along with Shenmue 3 seems unlikely to be released - What we really wanted was the 3rd one not the MMO!

I have never played the second one in spoken English - only in english subtitles on the dreamcast

Oh does anyone know what has happened to Yu Suzuki at all as he could just try and create the game with another developer - I just want the story to be finished in some way as it is one of my favourite games!

Shenmue, loved it :)
Never got round to playing the 2nd one though.

I loved playing in the arcade on Space Harrier and Darts lol
Just the scale of free roaming was great back then.

"Perhaps they're out"

LukasROAR said:

"Perhaps they're out"

*drinks can* ahhhh good!

Oh if you loved the first one you should definately play the second one - just as good if not better than the first!

I loved the first game and played it to the end, but gave up on the second game after a few hours.

I have to work by means of bad mini-games? Ine-san, I demand my allowance! (I think it's only because I enjoyed fork-lifting that I finished the first one!)

I really should give it another go. My Dreamcast isn't connected at the moment, but might give it a try on Xbox instead (yes I have both versions as I saw the Xbox one cheap!).

Churchy99 said:
LukasROAR said:

"Perhaps they're out"

*drinks can* ahhhh good!

Oh if you loved the first one you should definately play the second one - just as good if not better than the first!

Awesome, a few of my mates have it, i'll see if they'll lend it me.

"I'm just fine and dandy"

I loved the capsules, what are the mini games like on Shenmue II?

theres a hell of a lot more - of course you get darts but in one place you get to play certain characters at darts (such as a posh snob) - there is of course the arcades, the slot machines, more capsules, the winning cans make a return,oh and there are street fights you can take part in and they have different conditions and ways of beating them, but the main one you'll be faced with is lucky hit and its many, many versions!

If you didn't know, Lucky hit is basically a long wooden board with pins in it and you drop a ball down and hope it lands in the right place - you can also make money by taking over a store and playing customers but this is bloody hard

In case you guys didn't know, we are trying to convince Microsoft and Sega to bring Shenmue I & II to XBLA and Xbox Originals (respectively). We have a topic in these forums asking for it to be done: <a href="http://forums.xbox.com/1/16752814/ShowPost.aspx#16752814">The Call for Shenmue</a>. Currently it is the most requested game in the whole site with over 750,000 views on the one topic!!!

Please voice your opinion! Getting this game on Live just may open the doors to getting Shenmue III

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<a href="http://www.myspace.com/legendofshenmue">http://www.myspace.com/legendofshenmue</a>

^Join the fight for Shenmue III^

The Shenmue Myspace Campaign

LukasROAR said:

"Perhaps they're out"

^ He said pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Absolutely loved Shenmue but never played Shenmue II. Anyone remember the scene where those gangsters knocked Tom's lunch into the sea and he goes "Hey, my lunch. :(" and then they beat him up? That upset me hugely back in the day for some reason. o_O

Also, forklift racing = awesome, and that rasta guy was great too.

Shenmue was amazing! My friend lent me his dreamcast and both the games xD was a while ago though, I wish I could play it again~

Back