She, The Ultimate Weapon

the OVA's offers sort of an explanation to that... but then again, watch the series first, then the OVA. I find this way more enjoyable..

Truered said:
Though the total lack of explanation as to how Chise became what she is (so far) does leave me a bit annoyed.
There's not much to explain since you can see for yourself. I think what you're really asking is "Why did they do it to Chise?". However, that's not what's important. What's important is the suffering that people go through in wars.

I just ordered it can't turn it down at these prices. Although when I borrowed it of my mate I was not overly impressed, but I do like an "unhappy ever after ending" to a story, real life does not always wrap up nicely.

Is this really that depressing?

Like, I think I might get it, but I'm 14, I don't want to watch it, if its really depressing.

Also, whats so depressing about it?

You can't really say what's depressing about it without seriously ruining certain points within the plot that would be really detrimental to your appreciation of the show.

Perhaps depressing is a bit of a too harsh a word though. If you don't mind your anime being bittersweet and touching. How touching really will depend entirely on how these things affect you personally - though I suppose thats the same with everything. Though in short if your the real emotional type then this one might not be for you

Belphegor said:
You can't really say what's depressing about it without seriously ruining certain points within the plot that would be really detrimental to your appreciation of the show.

Perhaps depressing is a bit of a too harsh a word though. If you don't mind your anime being bittersweet and touching. How touching really will depend entirely on how these things affect you personally - though I suppose thats the same with everything. Though in short if your the real emotional type then this one might not be for you

Thanks for the reply.

I've decided to get it ;).

When its a tenner, its worth it just to try it out, even if I don't like it ;D

Yagami said:
When its a tenner, its worth it just to try it out, even if I don't like it ;D
That was exactly my reasoning when I decided to buy it, i'd only been watching anime for a few months at the time so wanted to grab something cheap/different to expand my collection - wasn't disappointed as I stated in my first post.

Hope you enjoy it!

Belphegor said:
Though in short if your the real emotional type then this one might not be for you
I disagree. Saikano is more for those that are quite emotional since it will have more impact. The most emotion I could muster was "****, that really sucks". That was it. Besides, I didn't find the so-called "depressing aspects" realistic, as some people seem to claim they are. Yes, life isn't always happy, but it's not always sad either.

A heartbreaking scene will have more impact when it comes after happy times, not when the heartbreak and depression are so constant that the viewer becomes desensitised to it. This is why Saikano was a disappointment in that respect.

Agreeing with Maxon's last point. Saikano's only downside in my opinion was that it just tries a little too hard to make you sad/ cry. It's good, but constantly having depressing scenes is a tad on the unrealistic side, even during times of war (I would imagine).

I did not find it that depressing or emotional, though you can start to connect with the characters at points. I had more of an emotional reaction to Grave of The Fireflies and Eps 9 & 10 of Kanon (I think they are the EPs).

Back