SFX plan special edition magazine totally devoted to anime

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
SFX Magazine are to publish a new one-off magazine that just so happens to be totally devoted to anime. Set for release on Wednesday, 6th December, with a cover-price of £5.99, below is the full run down of what to expect (including a free DVD and posters) and if interested, click here to peak at the magazine's cover-art too.<ul class="menu">"Packed with all-new features, SFX interviews two major anime directors, Goro Miyazaki and Satoshi Kon, as well as previewing their upcoming films, Tales from Earthsea and Paprika. The SFX team also present their guide to essential anime viewing in a top 25 list that acts as both a perfect introduction to the genre for newcomers, as well as an essential guide to the best movies and TV series that hardcore anime fans may have missed."

"Also inside the 132-page magazine, SFX takes a retrospective look at the Oscar winning Studio Ghibli – the anime outfit responsible for Spirited Away. Rounding off the special collectors’ issue in style, SFX publishes the first chapter of The Sunwell Trilogy, Tokyopop’s new manga series based on World of Warcraft, as well as pages from Arcturus Publishing’s ‘How to Draw Manga’ series – with a special money-off deal for SFX readers."

"Every issue of the SFX anime special comes with a free DVD from ADV films, including an episode of top-rated anime series Samurai Gun, as well as loads of exclusive preview material for the guns-and-swords-based Nintendo Wii game, Red Steel. The package is completed with a free double-sided A2 poster, featuring Manga Entertainment’s Naruto on one side and exclusive Final Fantasy XII artwork from Square Enix on the other."</ul>

Rukario said:
Heh, it seems ADV really want Samurai Gun to be bought.

Anyone would think they haven't actually sat down and watched it cause its soooooooo aweful they wouldn't knowingly promote it if they'd seen even half an episode

Cool I have set a reminder in my phone for Wednesday 6th December, it'll give me something to read on nights, I just hope its not full of reviews of old series or things I've already watched

This magazine looks quite good, actually. The free DVD is something they have over NEO and I must admit I'm interested to see what they name as their "25 anime titles you must see", but I expect it will be an extremely mainstream and slightly predictable list (The Animatrix and Naruto will be included as token entries by virtue of their current popularity, but I hope to find a few random inclusions like Kino's Journey and FLCL).

It's nice to see SFX trying something like this, even if it is only a one-off. Fingers crossed it sells well enough to justify more regular publications.

Re: SFX plan special edition magazine totally devoted to ani

Paul said:
Including an episode of top-rated anime series Samurai Gun

Samurai Gun is top rated? By who? ADV's marketing department? Ubisoft? Aren't they supposed to be encouraging people to buy this thing rather than threatening us with Samurai Gun. Doesn't matter though, I'll probably buy it regardless.

Tasker said:
I can't say I even know anything about it.

I take it Samurai Gun is one to say clear of then?
I can't say honestly whether it is good or bad since I have never seen it but the general consensus amongst the anime community is that it is pretty poor. Given the basic premise, which seems to be based around a desire to be controversial, just makes it not appeal to me.

Paul said:
This magazine looks quite good, actually. The free DVD is something they have over NEO and I must admit I'm interested to see what they name as their "25 anime titles you must see", but I expect it will be an extremely mainstream and slightly predictable list

*Cough* probably look just like the equivalent feature in Neo.

Bought it, read most of it and its quite good. Top five of must see anime is
5. Paranoia Agent
4. Evangelion
3. GitS: SAC
2. Akira
1. My Neighbour Totoro

Rest a good mix of old an new, popular (FMA was 14, Naruto at 15) and obscure (have never heard of 'Mind Game' @ 21). Same could be said for the rest of the magazine, Lots on Ghibli and Miyazaki, what to expect in the future and a look at retro anime (and cartoons in general), some stuff on games (FFXII and Red Steel esp.) and general noob stuff.

Of course Eva had to be there it is one of the most well know and well merchandised anime series It is also genrally consideded the high of mecha anime (even thought i prefer Rahxephon). Surprised it wasn't higher. the one i am surprised about is Paranoia Agent. While i've heard good things about it, didn't think it would be that high.

hopeful_monster said:
Of course Eva had to be there it is one of the most well know and well merchandised anime series It is also genrally consideded the high of mecha anime (even thought i prefer Rahxephon). Surprised it wasn't higher. the one i am surprised about is Paranoia Agent. While i've heard good things about it, didn't think it would be that high.
Paranoia Agent got a lot of good reviews in the UK outside of the anime press (including SFX if I am not too mistaken) so it isn't very surpring to see it up there. I was fairly surprised at the time that it proved to be the breakout (ie accepted outside of the anime community) that it did. Nice to see it get the praise it deserves though.

"Mind Game" will be their obligatory hardcore recommendation - as far as I know it hasn't been released outside of Japan and was directed by Masaaki Yuasa, who most recently worked on the excellently weird Kemonozume. His style is completely unique and the animation used (Studio 4C) totally subverts contemporary anime; hence anime "fans" knowing nothing about him.

Paranoia Agent is an interesting choice too. I suppose at least something from Satoshi Kon had to be up there, though I would have expected Perfect Blue. Then again, all of his work is on the same superlative level anyway.

If possible, I'd love to see the full list :)

hopeful_monster said:
Bought it, read most of it and its quite good. Top five of must see anime is
5. Paranoia Agent
4. Evangelion
3. GitS: SAC
2. Akira
1. My Neighbour Totoro

I love GITS SAC but what a surprise having Akira there, I mean its an ok film but not something I'd put in my top 5

Back