Sex in anime rather than hentai (possible 18+ discussion)

Ryo Chan

Symphogear
Something that was brought up on the Anime-on-DVD forums about Code Geass, but it's an interesting theory, we know know how sex is looked down apon with anime (specially in non-hentai shows) and people even moan about shows giving people the idea that sex is involved without showing it (Guy and girl waking up with clothes on the side for example)

But even if that is the case, is sex in anime looked down apon more than animes giving the impession of masterbation during the show (again i repeat not actually showing any nudity or anything.) While it is very rare (i seem to remember something like it in Tenchi GXP, and then we have the Nina scene in Code Geass) do you feel that impression of characters having sex in isn't as bad in a show as the impression of characters and masterbation?

oh and if you're wondering the reason this topic came up, it's down to the rumoured delay of the Code geass release due to the age limit thanks to a previously said scene even though Tenchi GXP got away with it being a 13+

I think there was a scene in Sakura Diaries where a guy is, ahem, making his own entertainment but since I watched it ages ago and didn't think much to the show as a whole I can't recall that very clearly.

Sex scenes in anime are rare though - the only examples off the top of my head in which it's used as part of the story (i.e. not in a gratuitous way) are Kare Kano and Saikano. In both cases not much was shown but things like characters' narration makes it clear that it did happen (if you'd seen the eps in question, you'd know what I meant by that).

Basically, non-hentai anime implies and references sex a lot but hardly ever portrays it. I blogged the issue quite recently actually (Warning: Saikano spoilers within)

There is the scene in Lain where her best friend from school is sat at her desk playing with herself fantasising about her teacher, so it is not all about the boys.

Evangelion had both kinds (one in EoE, one in the TV series), to add another example (and was rumoured at the time to have upset viewers on more than one occasion with the TV escapades). Sex in non-hentai happens a lot in manga but far less in anime - probably to protect random people who might be shocked more if they tune in unexpectedly.

Paradise Kiss had obviously implied sex but nothing visible (that I remember) in the anime version. I haven't seen Nana but expect that will be similar from the manga's content. Loads of girly series deal with sex in general - Fushigi Yuugi and Ayashi No Ceres both deal with the subject, though without depicting it particularly.

Paranoia Agent had sex in it too (less subtle than the shoujo shows I mentioned), and Perfect Blue had a rape scene. Oh, and Wings of Honneamise did as well IIRC.

Then there are all the non-hentai (IMO) but sort of dodgy shows like Golden Boy (love it) and horror/sex films like Wicked City.

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets think, Rahxephon had one or two. The movie had the one between Ayato and Haruka, and the series had an implied sex between Haruka and Isshiki. Rec had some it in the first episode. Samurai Champaloo, and Afro Samurai, Gundam Seed, Infinite Ryvius, Armitage 3 had horizontal rumba. Can't remeber clearly but i think Yugo and Macross Plus had some as well.

In my mind it all depends on how it's done and it's context within the story. Put simply, is it done gratuitously or not? I'm not offended or even bothered by it if it's done for the story, if it's done purely for the viewer (though arguably everything is) with no greater impact on the rest of the storyline than it's just fanservice.

I'm sure someone mentioned the 'Nina scene' from Code Geass at the start of this thread? I didn't have a problem with that at all. It's only a silouhette and ties in with the end of the series. Compared with something like Gantz it's pretty tame really.

What possibly a lot of people on this board forget is that most anime is aimed at th younger age range (10 -15yrs) who arn't supposed to be thinking about that yet.

hopeful_monster said:
What possibly a lot of people on this board forget is that most anime is aimed at th younger age range (10 -15yrs) who arn't supposed to be thinking about that yet.

Quick check on the net confirmed what I thought Japan's age of consent is different to ours, but I did not realise how different. Depending on the area it can range from 13-17 years of age. So maybe those shows with teenage sex are aimed at an audience where it is legal for them to think about and act on what they have seen.

The odd thing with this is that the Japanese population is on the decline. So here is my conspiracy theory on the subject, maybe these shows and the increase in fan service shows are an attempt to get the younger generation to have sex and bread a new generation.

In terms of western culture, most anime isn't really aimed at younger people. You get some anime suitable for all ages, but younger people wouldn't necessarily "get" it.

Ryo Chan said:
pretty sure most shows mentioned are aimed at young adults though 15-19
Which is why they show sex. Thing is that most of the rest don't show it cause they are aimed at a different demographic

Dracos said:
The odd thing with this is that the Japanese population is on the decline. So here is my conspiracy theory on the subject, maybe these shows and the increase in fan service shows are an attempt to get the younger generation to have sex and bread a new generation.
Well judging by what i've seen on 4chan if they follow what they read and watch they aren't going to be doing it right. :wink: :wink: :arrow: :arrow: say no more.

The Kenshin OVA Reflections had an interesting sex scene. It completely focused on their hands and how they gripped each other for about a minute. Still never really understood what the disease was that Kenshin had that he passed onto Karou.

Since Martin has, I'll join in the pimpage: I also bloggedthe subject, last Valentine's Day.

The only instances where a sexual encounter (between two people, as opposed to masturbation) was used to move the story on in some way, that I can think of off-hand, are (like Martin said) Kare Kano, School Days (which is packed with sex, but isn't hentai - or very good) and (no, really) Gundam SEED. (And that is not meant to be a pun.) There are probably others - such as the Kenshin OVA that Ice Climber mentions.

As for the famous Nina x table scene, I thought it worked rather well. It drove home that Nina was acting irrationally (I mean, use your own table, not one where you might be
caught in flagrante delicto by Nunally.
)

Picking up on the OP, I think it's very rare for anime to depict sex (when it does) in a positive light. To take the Gundam SEED example, the sex concerned is (long story short) an unpleasant business in motivation beforehand and effect afterwards. Later in the show the hero establishes a relationship with someone else, and this relationship is portrayed as chaste - and much more positively than his previous seduction.

Last edited by a moderator:
hopeful_monster said:
Well judging by what i've seen on 4chan if they follow what they read and watch they aren't going to be doing it right. :wink: :wink: :arrow: :arrow: say no more.

I always find it funny how when reading a doujinshi or looking at some dodgy fanart you can instantly tell whether the artist has actually had sex before (in some cases, I question whether they've even seen a naked woman/man before too!). Nothing kills a picture faster than terrible sex scenes for me :(

I tend to prefer manga for series I know will have erotic scenes in them as the anime versions are almost always toned down (or have the sex removed entirely). I assume this is mostly due to the danger that it could more easily be seen (a kid is more likely to turn on the TV at a weird time than to go to a bookstore and buy a volume of Happy Mania). I wonder if it's also partly due to the amount of imagination required when reading a sex scene compared to the less subtle grunting and moving version. Most TV series depictions of sex try hard to recapture the level of subtlety, such as Eva/Kenshin/Karekano.

I find series with annoyingly chaste relationships terribly unrealistic sometimes (most bishoujo series historically rub me up the wrong way like that). I like the series which have the guts to establish relationships, even if they dance around depicting the act itself in the name of decency or just throw in a reference to acknowledge that it's a normal part of life. Subtle references are fine :)

R (and for those completely sexless series - thank goodness for doujinshi and the imagination)

Rui said:
I find series with annoyingly chaste relationships terribly unrealistic sometimes (most bishoujo series historically rub me up the wrong way like that). I like the series which have the guts to establish relationships, even if they dance around depicting the act itself in the name of decency or just throw in a reference to acknowledge that it's a normal part of life. Subtle references are fine :)
I feel the same way, although I love Maison Ikkoku, a story that spans several years with the main characters remaining chaste until the very end.

One show that surprised me with its realistic portrayal of adult relationships, especially given its bishoujo game origins, is Rumbling Hearts. The sex scenes are not gratuitous and are vital to the plot and character development.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I feel the same way, although I love Maison Ikkoku, a story that spans several years with the main characters remaining chaste until the very end.

One show that surprised me with its realistic portrayal of adult relationships, especially given its bishoujo game origins, is Rumbling Hearts. The sex scenes are not gratuitous and are vital to the plot and character development.

Rumiko Takahashi series are terrible for that! I still love them anyway but the woman knows how to drive me nuts with amazing skill :)

Rumbling Hearts surprised me too, especially as I'd watched a friend play the game a long time ago (which had far more pointless sex in it than the anime). I don't know why I watched it originally after seeing that but somehow I was convinced and ended up quite liking the series in spite of myself. It hasn't yet taught me to stop avoiding bishoujo material like the plague where possible, but it's a good exception to the general rule.

R

Thought id just add GITS has a episode where The Major offers a minor sex. its random but as for "looking down on sex in anime" 1 its a natural thing and the general target audience is for the later teens/young adults. admittedly there are some manga/anime that borderline the ages...for example; Bleach, there are many referrences to one characters chest size. the target audience is 13+

To be perfectable honest i don't mind if theres mild referrences to sex in anime. most people in the UK are taught sex Ed in year 4 (at the age of 9) so its not like anime has put the idea into youths mind or they use anime sex referrences as a reason to go out and have sex. if anything you can blame teenagers for being stupid and not using protection and terrible "role model's" (celeb's) dont help matters either.

Rec which romance/comedy/senin has sex in the very first epsiode, but not hentai ofcourse. Its pretty cool, reminds me of maison ikkoku but don't know why.

Also ef a tale of memories aka the better version of school days
LOL!

Ok i havent read all the posts here because im tired. But im going to put my input!

I think the whole thing about sex in animes (but not being seen, correct?) is alright aslong as its meant for the proper age group. Im not sure when sex education is starting in schools because my schools were crap and only really started it in year 10 (I never knew a thing till i got into that year i swear! -.-, Sarcasm is the lowest form of humor, i know). But people should know about the basics and such at an early-ish age.

Back