Seven Seas to create yuri (lesbian) manga label in US

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Via their new "Strawberry" label, Seven Seas Entertainment will kick start North America's first ever yuri (lesbian) manga label later in 2006 by releasing several fan favourite series (including Strawberry Panic and Kashimashi).

The yuri genre, in terms of both manga and anime, has yet to really take off outside of Japan but with the genre's recent surge in popularity amongst hardcore otaku, deprived yuri fans could well be set for a fulfilling few years.

Cool Mangaminx is into Yuri and has gotten me into it with Mangas like Strawberry Shake so I will keep an eye out for these releases too

Any particular reason why strawberries are the yuri fruit of choice?

Either way, this will be great news to all those long suffering yuri fans out there.

Paul said:

Either way, this will be great news to all those long suffering yuri fans out there.

Because they are sweet, much like female relationships.....

....apparently.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Lesbians!
Not quite sure why I should be so amused by a dinosaur shouting 'Lesbians!' - if indeed a dinosaur is capable of 'shouting' - he/she could be just thinking it perhaps - are dinosaurs capabale of such abstract thoughts?

Made me laugh all the same - long live absurdity!

Just what we all need - some more yuri worshippers :p

Ah well. At least now I know what to investigate for my girlfriend for Christmas ^_^

not that i'm into yuri, but, about time someone started a label.
i mean all this Yaoi business has been on for a long time, and even at the Waterstones book store next to my college, in their manga section they have quite a few Yoai ones, and i read one thinking it was some normal, manga, my eyes .....oh....my eyes.....they....burn.
*shrugs*

Paul said:

I's not just yuri, it's a lot of anime (I Me My Strawberry Eggs, Ichigo 100% etc). I think it's something to do with strawberries not being such a common fruit in Japan and they're looked upon as being a delicacy (like a musk melon being a symbol of love - they cost something like 10,000 yen!). It's also possible (my opinion only of course, but I've wondered about strawberries in anime for a long time!) that the Japanese look at strawberries in the way we look at cherries when it comes to sexuality :wink:

Back