Serial Experiments Lain

Ammish

Stand User
I've been watching Digimon Tamer again for quite a while, to revisit old memories. So I had a nosy on wikipedia to refresh my memory on Tamer and came across that it has influences from Serial Experiments Lain (Probably a debatable question =P)

And I looked around the net to pursue some reviews on it, and what it's about... It looks really interesting and it's grabbing my interest because of the philophiscal belief and depressing nature, which I'm a sucker for.

But before I might purchase this, Can anyone tell me if this anime is any good?

Many thanks

Lain is an anime that's always intrigued me -- mainly because a lot of people seem to think it's similar to Evangelion in a way (and, judging by Dracos's comment that it "messes with your head", I think they are probably right!).

CitizenGeek said:
Lain is an anime that's always intrigued me -- mainly because a lot of people seem to think it's similar to Evangelion in a way (and, judging by Dracos's comment that it "messes with your head", I think they are probably right!).

The only thing that's similar would be the fact that both the main characters become part of a higher existence, temporary for Shinji, permenant for Lain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads-up, just passing through =D

Maybe I was a bit of an idiot to dive straight through and bought it from the store without knowing what it's like >.> But heh, it's not like my bank has lots of money in my account =P

So thanks for the help, guys =D (Btw, what is Anime On line like?)

I've never had a problem with Anime On Line, although I've only bought about £50 worth of stuff from there.

I got one dodgy Miyu disc from them once, and they replaced it within two days of me posting it back. So excellent customer service.

The thing with this sale stuff is that it is remaindered stuff sent back from retailers, so while everything gets the right packaging, you may not get cellophane on the Amaray, and you might get the wrong postcard for further information in the case. It should be MVM, but I've had ADV and even Playboy. Fine if you're buying for yourself, but not so good if you're sending a present. But that's only a problem with the 99p/£1.99 sale items.

It's not a big deal for me, but some people find it troublesome.

I could call it thought-provoking, revolutionary, haunting and awesome...and I'd mean every word of it. Unfortunately it's one of those shows that you might not 'get' at all - most people either love it or hate it.

I bought the whole series quite recently but I’m struggling to make much headway with it. It’s certainly not that I don’t like it but just that I’ve only ever had chance to watch it late at night. Although in some respects that is probably the best time to watch Lain (in terms of atmosphere), but when you’re feeling very tired it is probably also the worst time to try and watch it. It requires concentration for sure. And like Martin has just said, some people just won’t get it – and I’m starting to feel like I may be one of them.

Another series that I’ve been struggling to watch recently is Boogiepop Phantom. I’ve found it to be a very similar series in style and atmosphere. In fact I can add Texhnolyze to this list of dark, sparse, thought provoking anime that I’ve bought but failed (so far) to see through.

harkins said:
Another series that I’ve been struggling to watch recently is Boogiepop Phantom. I’ve found it to be a very similar series in style and atmosphere. In fact I can add Texhnolyze to this list of dark, sparse, thought provoking anime that I’ve bought but failed (so far) to see through.

I have the R1 boxset of Boogiepop Phantom, whilst the anime is good it does take some watching. However in the boxset you get the live action film and I thought that was really good and helped me understand the anime.

harkins said:
Although in some respects that is probably the best time to watch Lain (in terms of atmosphere)

I think that's the real reason why people see a similarity between Eva and Lain. They both make you feel like you're being watched.

harkins said:

Can't say I liked Boogie Pop Phantom much. The only thing I did like about it was Die Meistersinger in whistling form which was pretty sweet. Only second to the use of it in Curb Your Enthusiasm and much better than the way it was used in that anime about singing robots.

Definitely worth watching - and I say this as someone who wasn't entirely convinced by the premise upon which it is built! It is a very well executed attempt to rethink the world marked by extraordinary attention to detail - both at the visual level and on the narrative front.

As a few others have already pointed out, Serial Experiments Lain can certainly be a very demanding story to watch since (if memory serves) none of the things and situations one encounters as the series progresses turns out to be what it initially seemed, but I found it very rewarding even when I wasn't quite sure I figured out what's going on.

Its a great series which deals with events that are becoming the norm over here.
As mentioned earlier the single volumes are available fairly cheap on anime-on-line but they also have the entire boxset for £20 so keep an eye out for it. (I ordered it yesterday :) )

All I can say is that if you think it looks interesting then you'll probably like it. Of course not everyone will but I find it creepy, haunting and at the same time beautiful! It also makes you think about issues that are becoming more relevant. Wow! £20 for Serial Experiments Lain?! Ordered!

I watched the DVD yesterday and today (strangely, it wouldn't play on my mate's 360... MS hates anime >.>) I already fallen in love with it <3

I actually finding myself preffering the Dub to the Japanese sub. Morely because Lain sounds more fragile in the Dub than sub, and I found that her father's voice suits in the dub more imo. Otherwise, all the other voice are okay...

And also I love the psychological thriller, how people become corrupted in the wire... and absolutely everything <3

This seriously is going to become number one in my chart.

I'm currently re-watching it after not seeing it for a while. Its definitely one of the most thought-provoking series I've ever seen, and is a bugger to understand in places.

Back