Serial Experiments Lain (Sub or Dub)

Voddas

Symphogear
I bought LAIN while I was over in the USA last week along with some other animes and wanted your opinions. What would you say was best, the English Dub or the English Sub (Sub obviously being the official Geneon translation). I gonna start watching it and couldn't decide which one to watch. Please let me know what you think.

*Oh, and sorry if this thread was already created a while back* :p

Sub. The dub isn't awful but Lain's voice always seems to stay the same throughout the series and Lain's subtle development throught the course of the series is so important to the conclusion that that lack to change in her dub voice just lacks any sort of impact.

I can imagine taht would be irritating if you'd seen the sub first especialy. Did you watch it with the DVD sub Sy or by fansub means?

I watched them on DVD and the subs were fine as far as I can remember. It's a fantastic series but no one I revist that often.

Cool, thanks for the heads up Sy. I'm more of a sub person anyway. Just sometimes I find DVD subs to be off from what the characters are actually saying. More often tho dubbed anime has bad choice in VA.

Just sometimes I find DVD subs to be off from what the characters are actually saying.

Well, they make the subs sound more natural, not literal - which is why sometimes they may be slightly tweaked.

We all know "Hai" in Japanese means "Yes", but in many anime "Yes" isn't always what you'll get, simply because saying it wouldn't necessarily seem natural depending on the context it's used in. (Quite often subtitles read "Okay" instead, or have something small added to it).

Dubtitles are different, but I won't bother going into that.

I have to say its the dub for me, I think all the characters voices are suited perfectly and distinctive(except for lains annoying friends)

Something just fitting about lains dubbed voice, its perfect.

Sub. I did what I always do with dual audio DVD's, watched the first ep subbed, and then again dubbed to see if the English VA's sounded right. To me, it was Lain herself who really didn't.

I can see where the majority are heading then. Was gonna start watching it tonight but decided to catch up on Bleach and naruto (DVD ain't going nowhere). I think I'll do as Ayase said and watch the 1st episode in both sub and dub. I allready know which one I'm gonna go for like =P

Back