Send your questions to Satoshi Nishimura & Shigeru Kitayama

chaos

The Boss
Director Satoshi Nishimura & producer Shigeru Kitayama will be attending Scotland loves animation this October. As tradition dictates, they will hold a talk session, which we will attempt to ask your questions! Post your questions here and we will do our best to ask them.
"Mr. Satoshi Nishimura has worked for years as an animator on numerous anime titles providing key animation and story board work. He has worked on numerous series including MASHIN EIYUUDEN WATARU, FUTURE GPX CYBER FORMULA,CARD CAPTOR SAKURA, DRAGON BALL , PARADISE KISS and more. Later, Mr. Nishimura became a Director with several equally notable titles to his credit, including Trigun, and Hajime no Ippo. Mr. Nishimura’s latest title is Trigun Badlands Rumble."
"Mr. Shigeru Kitayama joined Victor Japan in 1984 and became an animation producer in 1993 after an assistant producer position in the anime titled NINJA SCROLL. He is also the current chief producer of Flying Dog Inc. Mr. Kitayama enjoys war and “spaghetti-western” movies with hobbies consisting mainly of plastic models and toy guns. He also plays guitar for an amateur band. Mr. Kitayama has worked on such titles such as TRIGUN, EXCEL SAGA, NOIR, GUNGRAVE and MADLAX."

I shall put forward the question that didn't get asked to Masahiro Ando, despite my submission of it last October.

The question reads as follows: Would you like a sandwich?

Zin5ki said:
The question reads as follows: Would you like a sandwich?
Talkie_Toaster.jpg

Such a shame that apparently no one took this seriously. Come on folks, they have an amazing portfolio! Dragon Ball, Cardcaptors, Trigun, Excel Saga to name a few of their works!

Will they be taking questions from people at the screenings? I want to see if I can ask stuff about Hajime no Ippo (Satoshi Nishimura) and Aquarian Age (Shigeru Kitayama) if they appear at Edinburgh.

Maxon, I'm heading to Glasgow, as they won't be at Edinburgh. If you want to post your questions here, I'll see if I can get them to answer.

OK Chaos - time to help a brother out huh. I'm not great with questions, so I'm gonna write a stream of consciousness right now, and hopefully some good questions you can take from it.

For Mr. Nishimura - how was Hajime no Ippo received back in Japan during its time? How did he feel when it failed in the US? Does he have any opinions as to why it may have failed?

Also, how come he wasn't involved in the last series - 'Hajime no Ippo: The New Challengers'? What does he think of the series, and will he be involved with Hajime no Ippo at all in the future? Also, is there any hope that the original series you directed will be released in the UK?

As for Mr. Kitagawa - what the hell was the thinking behind Excel Saga? Why was a different storyline from the manga desired by the publishers at the time? What was Mr. Shinichi Watanabe's vision for this series? Did he achieve it?
Finally, I was a big fan of Nabeshin's cameos and the humour that he was involved in - given his fame across the whole anime industry with his various cameos, is there any possibility of having a Nabeshin anime? Would you like to see that one day?

Regarding Gungrave - what made him interested in the game to convert it to a full anime series? What challenges did he face doing this? Was there any feedback, positive or negative, from fans of the original game? Was the game actually popular at all?

That's all I got for now Chaos - hope that helps.

Jayme said:
Wow, I totally read that as "Send your questions to Satoshi Kon!" Now I'm sad.

Me too. I am also sad.

On topic: How do they fell Trigun compares with the manga. Do they feel that their conclusion to it turned out well in line with how Maximum ended, or do they wish they'd been able to do a more direct adaptation (I say this as a fan of the anime over the manga, I'm glad of the direction it took)

What did Yasuhiro Nightow (sp?) think of the changes they made?

They do have excellent portfolios indeed - especially Nishimura directing CCS and Hajime no Ippo (two paragons of their respective genres and my favourites) and Paradise Kiss. Am also a huge fan of Kitayama's Gungrave and, of course, Trigun.

My Question to Nishimura:

You have worked on a diverse set of shows, from archetypical shoujo like Card Captor Sakura to archetypical shounen like Hajime no Ippo. How do you adapt your working practises or approach to the requirements of each show to make it the best it can be? Or is making a great shoujo pretty much the same process as making a great shounen?

Back