Second half of KARAS coming soon

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
After seemingly going on hiatus for over a year, the second half (episodes 4 to 6) of KARAS will soon be released in Japan (starting in August). The action-packed sci-fi OVA series was conceived as a celebration of Tatsunoko's 40th Year Anniversary; an anime production house world renowned for it's superhero anime (including classics like Gatchaman and Speed Racer).

The first half of the series has already been released in the UK by Manga Ent., and no doubt, they will be lining up the second half soon after it's Japanese launch.

Currently, the UK release is scheduled before the Japanese release of the final episode, so it may be delayed until November/December time depending on whether the Japanese will allow the english language version to be released before their own release. I read on another forum that the Japanese wanted a simultaneous release in Japan & the US (and by consequence the UK), so they may allow it.

Noratav said:
Currently, the UK release is scheduled before the Japanese release of the final episode, so it may be delayed until November/December time depending on whether the Japanese will allow the english language version to be released before their own release. I read on another forum that the Japanese wanted a simultaneous release in Japan & the US (and by consequence the UK), so they may allow it.

The only problem with that idea is that the Japanese release is one episode per disc, which will never happen in the UK and probably not in the US either. Apparently the whole thing will be finished by October so perhaps a Western release before Christmas won't be too much of a stretch.

I must admit I'm looking forward to sitting down with the whole series. The first couple of episodes were extremely random and fairly hard to follow so I'm hoping that once I can sit through the whole series a bit of the incoherence will clear up. I'm more than willing to give it this chance since it's such a great looking and stylish show!

Paul said:
Noratav said:

The only problem with that idea is that the Japanese release is one episode per disc, which will never happen in the UK and probably not in the UK either. Apparently the whole thing will be finished by October so perhaps a Western release before Christmas won't be too much of a stretch.

I must admit I'm looking forward to sitting down with the whole series. The first couple of episodes were extremely random and fairly hard to follow so I'm hoping that once I can sit through the whole series a bit of the incoherence will clear up. I'm more than willing to give it this chance since it's such a great looking and stylish show!

Firstly, the final episode is actually due in November not October.

Secondly, Manga will edit the 3 episodes together to form a movie just like they did for part 1. Judging by the clips they showed at the expo and the rumours I've heard that dubbing is already in progress, production on the R1 release will be finished in time for the September date. The only issue is when the Japanese will let them release it, and if they do want a simultaneous release what does that mean given that we're getting one disk to their three. Currently, I'm optimistic that it will meet the current date or one soon afterwards.

Dani said:
About damm time!

Was there any mention as to the cause of the delay? Or was it planned this way?
The reason for the delay was simple. It simply hadn't been made yet. Japanese OAV releases often take many months to come out and the production costs, both in terms of time and money required, for Karas means that it was always going to be an ambitious project. The only reason we notice this one particularly is because it is getting a near simultaneous Japanese and western release. Most of the time OAVs are released only after they have completed their Japanese run, such as happened with Tenchi Muyo Ryo-ohki series 3.

I was only asking to see if the release was on time or not, which it is. I had forgotten about the title since it's been so long.

For those that are interested OVA 4 aired on Japanese TV two days ago, so it looks like we won't be getting any delayson the japanese side.

rinoas_knight: This thread is about the Japanese release, and that date on play refers to the UK release.

gawyn: Except production was clearly delayed in Japan for some reason. The first three OVAs all received a regular release schedule of every four months. But then there was an 18 month gap between OVA 3 and 4.

Back