Second Durarara!! TV Anime Announced

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
In 2010 Brain's Base released a twenty-four episode anime adaptation of Ryohgo Narita's <em>Durarara!! </em>light novels about the interconnecting stories of the numerous weird and wonderful residents of Ikebukuro - who range from gangs, to information brokers and a headless rider. To celebrate the tenth anniversary of the publication of the original novels, the cast and staff of the anime series revealed at the Dengeki Game Festival 2014 that a brand new television anime is in production, with Studio Shuka taking over the animation duties.

The new series will be set one year after the events of the first TV anime and will be produced by the same staff, with Noboru Takagi returning to the directoral chair along with character designer Takahiro Kishida, soundtrack composer Makoto Yoshimori and script supervisor Noboru Takagi.

Anime Limited will be releasing the first series in the United Kingdom on DVD and Blu-Ray on 24th March, following a subtitled-only DVD release from Beez Entertainment back in 2011.

Source

&nbsp;

I literally Banderas'd full on when I saw the topic title

Durarara blu-ray release next week and this news today, it's a good time to like Durarara!!!

Brilliant news and definitely a season to keep an eye on. I always loved the first season but felt it got a bit lost in the second half (probably because it was setting up for things it was never going to get to cover...), and I wasn't all that fond of the seasons ending because it felt far too open when nothing else was coming. That said, I'm confident a second season will tie everything together nicely and I can't wait to revisit this world and set of characters. :)

Hopefully Crunchyroll get to stream it again when we get to that point too.

And hey, if nothing else I definitely have the incentive to go buy Anime Limited's release later in the month now. xD

Incredible! I already own the Bleez DVDs and will be getting the blu-ray release (already have it on preorder), hopefully this one also gets the Blu-ray treatment as well!

It's been very difficult to keep quiet on this one as I'm such a huge fan of the original author's works! We're very excited about this and I'm sure you'll hear more from us in due course ;).

Andrew

anime_andrew said:
It's been very difficult to keep quiet on this one as I'm such a huge fan of the original author's works! We're very excited about this and I'm sure you'll hear more from us in due course ;).

Andrew

..I like your ever so subtle hints.

1376221.jpg

While I have yet to watch Durarara it's most definitely great news that this gem will be getting a second season! ^_^

Usually when a new season gets announced of an anime I shall be watching I wait to watch it until the second season is out there in all its glory, but with me supporting the Anime Limited release I already had the crazy idea of watching this during spring break (or at worst early July) and I don't feel like amending those plans at the moment of speaking.

This news makes me rise a few questions, like:
- When is it slated to air? (Summer and/or fall probably)
- How many cours shall it have? (My guess would be 2)
- How will Aniplex USA be handling this? Will they go the Fate/Zero route with a sub-only import release first and a dub later (presumably the same route Madoka Magica is taking now)?

The Fate/Zero route was like this:
- S1 aired fall 2011
- Import S1 released march 2012
- S2 aired spring 2012
- Import S2 released september 2012
- Dual Language LE S1 November 2013
- Dual Language LE S2 December 2013
- UK BD S1 April 2014 (with LE artbox)
- UK BD S2 May 2014

If Durarara S2 would take that route that'd probably mean I'd only be able to watch S2 of DRRR somewhere in 2016. xD

I just hope that Anime Ltd's release of S2 with dual audio will be a nice box that fits next to S1, and the reason I'm a bit afraid here is because this is a popular title and my guess is that Anime Ltd will be trying to put this out as soon as possible which might mean only the sub-only release would be getting the LE treatment what would be a shame by all means (for people who'll watch it dubbed and still want a nice LE). Another reason to be afraid is because things change, nothing stays the same. The style Anime Ltd releases anime in now might not be the same in 2016, especially if Andrew indeed manages to get the BBFC ratings and logos onto an O-card for LE releases from TTGL on. And by all means I'd love to get the ratings and all OFF the actual artbox, but that'd mean that the S1 box doesn't fit next to S2, but the S2 box would presumably look better.
I'm worried about stuff I shouldn't worry about, I know, I know...

In an ideal situation Aniplex would try to pull a "Space Dandy"-treatment for Durarara S2, but it seems unlikely. I hear good stuff about the DRRR dub and I believe it'll be important that S2 is dubbed accordingly with the same cast and with the same "sophisticated" vocabulary whatever the style was of the S1 dub.

However, this remains great news for all the fans out there and I'm pretty sure I'll be looking forward with a lot of anticipation to watching S2 soon too.

anime_andrew said:

Andrew
I think that's not the only reason why it was hard to keep quiet on it. :p And it's great to hear the latter part of that sentence. ^_^

This news has honestly made my week, the only down side is that there's no time frame as to when it'll air. It'd be pretty great if this aired in Q4 with Ufotable's Fate/Stay Night.
It's also a relief to hear that the same staff will be returning for the second season. Now I'll just need to rewatch Durarara!! with Japanese audio for the first time.

That's super news yet at the same time not so super for a dub loving fan like me. After all, how long has it taken for the dub of the first series?!?!?! I'll be devastated if I have to wait the same amount of time again :(

Back