SCOTLAND LOVES ANIME FESTIVAL CELEBRATES 15TH ANNIVERSARY WITH LONDON EXPANSION

Sarah

Staff
AUKN Staff
THE COLORS WITHIN, LOOK BACK & MORE HEADLINE UK’S LONGEST RUNNING ANIME FILM FESTIVAL THIS NOVEMBER London, UK, 16 September 2024 - The UK’s biggest and longest running film festival dedicated to anime is coming to London! Scotland Loves Anime has continued to grow as the premiere event for showcasing the best and rising talent in anime. Now celebrating…

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Following the sales of the Weekend Pass for the Glasgow leg commencing today, the line-up was reduced to 9 films instead of 11, as KuraYukaba and KURAMERUKAGARI have both been removed from the list (they both remain in the Edinburgh leg however).

We've just heard from Fetch that it will be screened on the Sunday.
Thanks for letting me know. Although the article still lists KuraYukaba for Friday in Glasgow, despite the website removing both that and KURAMERUKAGARI from the Glasgow list. I'm guessing this could be separate from the Weekend Pass?

Thanks for letting me know. Although the article still lists KuraYukaba for Friday in Glasgow, despite the website removing both that and KURAMERUKAGARI from the Glasgow list. I'm guessing this could be separate from the Weekend Pass?
It's probably best to check with Fetch or Anime Limited; I've only been able to make the changes which I've been told about. Thus far!

I've just heard back our contact and yes, you're right; Kuramerukagari and KuraYukaba have been removed from the Glasgow programme (they seem to have been listed in error). The advice is to check with the SLA link for updates.
No worries. Thanks. I'll keep an eye on the website for times and dates. Either way, I intend on seeing all the films they do have in Glasgow as I bought the weekend pass as soon as it became available (I was too eager).

No worries. Thanks. I'll keep an eye on the website for times and dates. Either way, I intend on seeing all the films they do have in Glasgow as I bought the weekend pass as soon as it became available (I was too eager).
It all looks great - and it's great that you're supporting it! :) (I'm very very keen to see the Kitaro film but just have to hope it will get a general cinema release and make it to the wilds of Somerset...)

It all looks great - and it's great that you're supporting it! :) (I'm very very keen to see the Kitaro film but just have to hope it will get a general cinema release and make it to the wilds of Somerset...)
Truth be told, this would be the second SLA I've ever been to. The first was last year, also in Glasgow, and at first, I thought I was unable to watch every film in the Glasgow line-up due to timing (I had meals to consider) and, for certain titles, not checking out any connecting series/films, but I worked my way around it and watched all of them. Out of all of them, there are two that I would probably need to check out their respective series in order to familiarise myself with the story and/or characters.

Regarding the Kitaro film, from what I've read, it's a prequel to the 2018 series, which I can stream on Crunchyroll. As for Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro, I haven't seen anything Lupin III related, and I would like to familiarise myself with the characters beforehand. Most series I can stream on HIDIVE (except for Part 4), but I don't know how much Lupin III material I need to watch.

Regarding the Kitaro film, from what I've read, it's a prequel to the 2018 series, which I can stream on Crunchyroll. As for Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro, I haven't seen anything Lupin III related, and I would like to familiarise myself with the characters beforehand. Most series I can stream on HIDIVE (except for Part 4), but I don't know how much Lupin III material I need to watch.
I think (though not certain) a lot of Lupin is actually reasonably self-contained, so you should be okay if you have an idea of who the characters are.

I'm doing the Edinburgh weekend rather than Glasgow, but will certainly be trying to watch some of the 2018 Kitaro series in preparation even if it is a prequel. The nice thing about SLA is that they usually pick films that you don't need a lot of knowledge for.

I think (though not certain) a lot of Lupin is actually reasonably self-contained, so you should be okay if you have an idea of who the characters are.

I'm doing the Edinburgh weekend rather than Glasgow, but will certainly be trying to watch some of the 2018 Kitaro series in preparation even if it is a prequel. The nice thing about SLA is that they usually pick films that you don't need a lot of knowledge for.
Thanks. Last year, even though the film was an alternate version, I checked out the series version of Galaxy Express 999 to familiarise myself with the characters (I bought the Discotek BDs from RightStuf (vols 1 and 2, just before their closure) and United Publications (vol 3, just before they stopped selling BDs)), and I checked out the first Matrix movie before checking out The Animatrix.

Truth be told, this would be the second SLA I've ever been to. The first was last year, also in Glasgow, and at first, I thought I was unable to watch every film in the Glasgow line-up due to timing (I had meals to consider) and, for certain titles, not checking out any connecting series/films, but I worked my way around it and watched all of them. Out of all of them, there are two that I would probably need to check out their respective series in order to familiarise myself with the story and/or characters.

The Castle of Cagliostro I would say is still very enjoyable even if you have not seen any other Lupin before, it was one of the first anime films I saw about 20 years ago and I had a lot of fun with it :)

I've been to a few SLAs in recent years, and I've had to learn to identify a film that I can skip in order to get a proper meal in, because watching multiple films in one day is surprisingly tiring. There's also not a lot of places that stay open after the final film. For me, that's usually been a film in a franchise I haven't seen, but this year is trickier in that regard lol.

As for The Castle of Cagliostro, it was actually the very first Lupin III title that I watched. The franchise isn't very lore dependant, so you can just dip in.

Back