Saikano movie trailer

Aside, from some distinctly dodgy looking SFX it doesn't look half bad. I've yet to see the original series - not through lack of trying, I was planning to order it today, but neither UP or Otaku had it in stock :( - so I'm not sure how this movie incarnation stacks up, but this trailer has certainly peaked my interest.

On an unrelated note, I don't think much of Manga Ent's chosen moniker for the series, She: The Ultimate Weapon sounds too close to some gawd awful fifties B-movie for comfort.

Paranoia Agent said:
Aside, from some distinctly dodgy looking SFX it doesn't look half bad. I've yet to see the original series - not through lack of trying, I was planning to order it today, but neither UP or Otaku had it in stock :( - so I'm not sure how this movie incarnation stacks up, but this trailer has certainly peaked my interest.

On an unrelated note, I don't think much of Manga Ent's chosen moniker for the series, She: The Ultimate Weapon sounds too close to some gawd awful fifties B-movie for comfort.

I agree, while im aware Saikano isn't a direct translation or anything, it just happens to sound a hell of a lot better.

Paranoia Agent said:
Gotta agree with you on this :?

And either the movie is a lot more action-oriented than the series, or they showed pretty much every action scene in the trailer...

That's why i'm getting the box from america where it's called Saikano.

B000ALM4K8.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Ramadahl said:
Paranoia Agent said:
Uh... You are aware that most of the Japanese materials (DVDs, OSTs, etc) have "She The Ultimate Weapon" as the English translation, right? It's not Manga's idea.

Besides, "SaiKano" means even less in English than it does in Japanese.

'SaiKano' has the fan mindshare. You get quite a few anime titles that stick with their original japanese name, or original japanese fan nickname. (e.g. Haibane Renmai)

Laughing Manji said:
'SaiKano' has the fan mindshare. You get quite a few anime titles that stick with their original japanese name, or original japanese fan nickname. (e.g. Haibane Renmai)
But fans (fans who care more about the show's content than the freakin' name on the box) will buy it anyway. On the other hand, an utterly nonsensical name like "SaiKano", which might work on something comedic ratehr than a dead serious romantic drama, might not have the same appeal to someone unfamiliar with the product.

Hardcore fans are not enough to sustain the industry, and if companies did everything the fans wanted exactly as they wanted it, there'd be no money made by anybody.

But on-topic (sort of), my point is that if you're not going to buy the show because Manga used the name for the show that the Japanese creators themselves used, you're just being elitist - not buying something because the title isn't the fan-adopted Japanese abbreviation? Tell me you're not serious.

I mean, nobody refuses to buy Ghost In The Shell because it's not called Kokaku Kidoutai.

aniki said:
On the other hand, an utterly nonsensical name like "SaiKano", which might work on something comedic ratehr than a dead serious romantic drama, might not have the same appeal to someone unfamiliar with the product.

An utterly nonsensical name ? What you mean like: RahXephon, Escaflowne, Evangelion, Tsukihime etc. You think people are like: "Well gee that sounds like a nonsensical name to me so i better not buy it, despite the fact that it looks cool.

People that are unfamiliar with the products start off on stuff that has a nice clear name like Ghost in the Shell or Ninja Scroll then they work on to things like Saikano by which time they are fans. The only reason it’s called She: the Ultimate Weapon here is because the anime market is so pathetic here compared to America they need to reel in all these new fans to properly get the market off the ground. That’s why they’re having those anime sales in HMV at the moment.

aniki said:
But on-topic (sort of), my point is that if you're not going to buy the show because Manga used the name for the show that the Japanese creators themselves used, you're just being elitist - not buying something because the title isn't the fan-adopted Japanese abbreviation? Tell me you're not serious.

Sorry, at what point in this thread did any one come out and say they won't be buying the series based on manga's decision to tweak the title? Personally, I couldn't give a monkey's what it's called I just pointed out the inherent cheesiness of the title, but I hope you feel vindicated after your pointless little rant nonetheless.

aniki said:
Ramadahl said:
Paranoia Agent said:
Uh... You are aware that most of the Japanese materials (DVDs, OSTs, etc) have "She The Ultimate Weapon" as the English translation, right? It's not Manga's idea.

Besides, "SaiKano" means even less in English than it does in Japanese.

Uh, sure, I'm aware of that. I'm just saying that I think that while titles like Ninja Scroll or Neon Genesis Evangelion sound better with their english names, titles like Kare Kano, Rurouni Kenshin, and, yes, Saikano, sound better when they keep the Japanese titles. It's just a preference thing.

So, umm, back to the movie. I'm not too hopeful of seeing a great adaptation - trying to fit all the romance development of the series into a movie just isn't going to happen - but it could still be interesting to see a live action version, I guess. Although if you've got the cash :)cry:) it'd probably be better to go for the anime. Or the manga, even.

Back