Rockstar wins Manhunt 2 appeal

Trowa_Ayanami

Brigade Leader
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6183825.html

The decision by the British Board of Film Classification to ban the controversial action adventure game is overturned.

Just over two weeks ago, a day-long appeal against the British Board of Film Classification's (BBFC) decision to refuse a classification to the game Manhunt 2 was held in central London. Seven members of the independent panel assigned by the BBFC listened to the evidence presented from both sides before retiring to deliberate a verdict.

The argument from Jeffrey Robinson, the legal representative for Rockstar was that Manhunt 2 did not deserve to be singled out, and that it was no more or less violent than similar games currently released in the country, including The Suffering: The Ties That Bind and the original Manhunt. The BBFC's representative, Andrew Caldecott, however, argued that a line must be drawn somewhere and it had chosen to draw it under this game.

Today the Video Appeals Committee panel announced that its decision was four-three in favour of Rockstar, and that the game should be given a classification and released in the UK.

The appeal dealt with the edited version of the game, which is already on sale in North America, not the original version which was given an AO in the US and also refused a classification in the UK.

David Cooke, director of the BBFC, commented in a statement, "The BBFC will carefully study the judgement by the Video Appeals Committee when it becomes available. The BBFC twice rejected Manhunt 2 for its focus on varied and cumulative killings. We recognize that rejection is a very serious step, in which the desire of publishers to market their games, and that of gamers to buy them, must be balanced against the public interest, including the full range of possible harm risks to vulnerable individuals and to any children who may be wrongly exposed to such games. Such balancing judgements are inevitably complex and multifaceted and are made only after very careful consideration of the contents of a work."

Although the verdict has been relayed to the BBFC, the written judgement has not been received yet, which means that the game will not be immediately released with an 18 certificate. A spokesperson for the BBFC explained to GameSpot, "We need to review the written judgement to see if there are any grounds for judicial appeal to the High Court. If we don't see any grounds, we will grant it a certificate."

Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick commented, "We are committed to making great interactive entertainment while also marketing our products responsibly and supporting an effective rating system. We are pleased that the decision of the VAC has recognized that Manhunt 2 is well within the bounds established by other 18-plus rated entertainment."

So, Manhunt 2 is gonna get a UK release.

Score +1 for freedom of speech & Rockstar.

Jayme said:
Too bad its not gonna get any sales.

It will probably get sales, but not because its a good game, but because of Controversy. People will buy it just because of its free advertising its gotten :roll:

Also i read somewhere today that the Wii game No More Heroes is getting edited for its european release, with all the gore, dismemberment getting taken out and the blood being turned black. Now the question is, is the european publisher doing these changes because the BBFC initally refused Manhunt and are arfaid of the game being rejected or is it just because they think that the gore will distract from the game.

Sy said:
I remember when computer games didn't need torture and murder to be fun.

Yeah All you needed was a yellow circle, with or without a pink bow going around eating smaller white dots with different colour "ghosts"

Nah but seriously, I do remember a time when a good game was something simple & for everyone, Tetris, Mario, Pac-man, Qbert, sonic, etc.

Manhunt seem summit that I will be avoiding, not because i hate overly violent games - I do like games like Gears of War, GTA, MOH, etc - Games which rely on Violence to go through the story, but games like that have no appeal to me

Well done, I really wanna try this but first I wanna know what has been removed from it compared to the US JAP releases.

I can see it selling well due to all this controversy, its gonna be a massive selling point... with lines like

The Game they tried to ban

To gory for the public but get it now

The game the censors banned, its back and yours for only £39.99

McIcy said:
Well done, I really wanna try this but first I wanna know what has been removed from it compared to the US JAP releases.

Actually its the same game that got released in the US, the one that got a mature rating. The only countries that i know of that got the full un edited game is Austraila and Sweden i think (though i'm not sure on that).

oh yeah - I wanted to get this one mainly because I enjoyed the first one, mainly because of the stealth elements (but some killing too) I do agree that games dont have to be violent to be enjoyable, I enjoy Mario much more than this series! Also in reaction to No More Heroes, they only edited it because they didnt want their game to be held back for ages! Thanks BBFC now youve ****** us over twice!! I hope you sleep uneasy with nightmares of Daniel Lamb - I find it kind of ironic that they played over 30 hours but we didnt get any - maybe they'll go mad in the night and start killing off their friends and family as they believe thats what might happen as a result of its release!

I bet it does get good sales due to the free publicity. It always happens when they try banning a game. Same thing happened with the first ManHunter. I'm not falling for it again tho. Thought the first game was incredibly boring. It was fun for about half an hour then it just got repetative.

Ok I really wasn't expecting that one >_> once the BBFC ban somthing it hardly ever gets overturned -_-
Meh I think it will sell well myself. Lots of people will want to see what was so bad about it >_>

Back