Robin Williams: The anime fan?

I've imported a copy of the Disney dub of Nausicaa. It got sent today.

If I could get one famous actor to do an anime dub, I'd have to use Bruce Campbell. He's the dude.

To be honest, I prefer 'unknown' voice talent. I often think companies rely on big names as a selling point and don't concentrate on performance etc.

bmxgamer said:
To be honest, I prefer 'unknown' voice talent. I often think companies rely on big names as a selling point and don't concentrate on performance etc.
I don't suppose i mind either way, although it does depend sometimes.
I do find it fun though when watching any anime if i recognise a voice(s) because me and my sister always have a competition to see who can tell either who it is or what other voices they do

bmxgamer said:
I've imported a copy of the Disney dub of Nausicaa. It got sent today.

If I could get one famous actor to do an anime dub, I'd have to use Bruce Campbell. He's the dude.

Bruce Campbell?

Sorry, I'd keep wondering where the Chainsaw went. :mrgreen:

bmxgamer said:
I assume by "unknown" you mean "not an a-list celebrity".

There are a number of dub-supportive communities out there, and there's not many anime voice actors that would be considered "unknown" in them. Even relative newcomers like Caitlin Glass and Nancy Novotny would be pretty well-renowned and respected, despite only having been in a couple of shows each at this point.

I saw an interesting interview (forget where, though) with a guy called Tom Kenny. He's a full-time voice actor in LA, and although you might not know the name, chances are you've heard him in something at some point. He was complaining about the number of big stars taking voice roles nowadays, when there are a lot of people who have dedicated their careers to learning how to use just your voice to convey every emotion and nuance. The way he put it was, "I don't expect to walk onto a set and be able to do Tom Cruise's job".

aniki said:
I assume by "unknown" you mean "not an a-list celebrity".

There are a number of dub-supportive communities out there, and there's not many anime voice actors that would be considered "unknown" in them.

[snip]

Yep. Pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

If I went to an random member of public and said "Tiffany Grant" or "Spike Spencer". I would expect most people to reply "WHAT!?". Now if I said "Tom Cruise" or "Kirsten Dunst". I would expect most people to randomly give me a movie they've been in or something alone the lines of that.

Within the closed (but expanding) circle of anime/manga fans; more is known about the voice talent. Move out of this circle and the talent becomes quite often 'unknown'. (Hope that made some sense)

Back