Review: The Place Promised In Our Early Days

How do you rate The Place Promised In Our Early Days?

• WOW! Excellent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • T'was Good

• Meh...

• RUBBISH!

• Total voters

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Martin Butler said:
Place Promised… may feature some distracting plot details that you’d normally associate with hard science fiction but anyone can relate to the fundamental messages of love, loss and nostalgia that form the core of the story. From the opening credits to the soaring, tear-jerking final scene it is a unique and heartfelt piece of cinema; I’d even go as far as to say it’s a contender for the DVD release of the year.

Click here to read the full review.

Agree with this review? What do you think of The Place Promised In Our Early Days?

The art - even in the screencaps - looks wonderful. Makoto Shinkai has such an eye for landscapes and lighting.

I loved this movie and I couldn't wait for a UK release :). Absolutely wonderful artwork and another character driven story from Makoto Shinkai.

I can't stand this movie - the hype only make it worse. :x

In terms of other work make by the creator, Voices of a Distant Star is better simply because it's the shorter one of the two and you can get them it over with more quickly...

Not seen the film but i have seen Voices which i really didn't think much of and i know it was mostly done by one guy but i still thought it was a bit poor.

I decided to actually check it out. I was told it was closer to Haibane Renmei in terms of atmosphere than anything else and since Renmei is my second top show after WHR I felt like checking it out.

First off, wonderful artwork but that's where my praise stops. Unlike Renmei I didn't believe the characters and I just wasn't drawn in. With a movie like this it's the character interactions and thier emotions which keep you watching but it just felt so hollow. The settings were nice but like somebody else said, good artwork doesn't make a good movie. That's it i'm afraid. It's not a movie I would not recommend to anyone.

my local arts cinema are showing this on 17th of Nov
ill be buying tickets to go see it now ive read this review :)

Well, I just finished watching it now.
I thought it was excellent.
I liked the characters, I liked the story.
The artwork was amazing.

Criticisms... some of the charatcer actions weren't given enough depth and as such felt a little hollow, notably the guy with glasses. And I can't think of anything else.

Bought it at the Expo, watched last night.

Absolutely spectacular; touching, interesting (confusing) story, touch of Sci-Fi, extremely beautifully drawn. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I really loved Voices of a Distant Star and I’m trying to get some money together so I can purchase this. If it’s any better than Voices then I’ll be extremely happy, I really liked the piano tracks in the OST.

Back