Review: R.O.D.: the TV #1

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Martin Butler has taken a look at one of the most anticipated UK anime releases of May; R.O.D.: the TV #1, out now in the UK from MVM. This is a TV series spin-off from the fan favourite Read or Die OVAs.<ul class="menu">"Although it is a bit of a slow starter from a storyline point of view, the opening episodes of R.O.D.: the TV have high quality animation, thoughtfully designed characters and enough fast-paced action to make it great fun to watch. The somewhat late introduction of a potential opponent to the paper masters and the feisty author they are protecting does however suggest that it is a series that will pick up in pace later on."</ul><a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/viewreview.php?showreview=143">Read the full review</a>.

I had doubts 'TV' would live up the to OVA's illustrious reputation, I couldn't have been more wrong. This show simply blew me away, good old fashioned fun with plenty of high octane and inventive set-pieces with characters that amuse and delight in equal measure. My only complaint is the lack of a preview at the end of episode 4 which just makes the wait for Vol.2 twice as hard. :)

EDIT: Just to clarify they're no previews for any of the episodes, wouldn't want anyone to think there's a problem with the disc seems it was a creative decision.

Could that be a dvd mistake? I find it hard to imagine they'd purposefully leave no ep preview, surely they'd want to tempt consumers into buying the next volume, lol.

This series looks and sounds great, and, as ever, I'm evntually planning to get it, after a whole host of other things (like SAC).

As I said in my thread in anime recommendations , I love this series. I can't wait for the next volume. Though the decision for no episode previews is rather odd, did the original Japanese airing have them anyone?

On the US DVDs, the previews were in the extras section. They aren't particularly useful as previews, but they are quite funny.

They where pretty rubbish as previews tbh. They lasted about 30 seconds each, and where simply around 5 seconds or so of footage looping. The comments from the cast was pretty funny tho, at least in the dub.

Back