Review of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Hehehe, I knew it would get a 9 or 10 because I think it's truly the best anime film I've seen in quite a while. I was about to quit anime because there were serious crap I was watching and this kinda save my interest. I'm just more picky than I ever was.

The main character isn't some big boob or fanservice character, but a strong, ditsy and very likable female character. It does have a mixture of whacky moments and serious but depressing moments. I do wish the ending was given a bit more attention, but at the end of the day... It's slice of life. It suppose to end normally.

And the soundtrack is beautiful to me. Truly, this is my favourite anime film and I can definitley see it being my favourite for a long time.

HD/Bluray isn't going to have a huge impact on cell type animation. You've got a finite minimum resolution determined by the pens and brushes used.

Pure CG animation will look better on a high def medium.

Well the fact is that the most watched stuff tends to ace polls. You can see it in the character battle on this very forum - many contests have people commenting "well, I voted for [character] because I've never seen the show with the other one". Full Metal Panic seems to be very well known (and deservedly - it's a high quality show) but as a result it's stomping all over the competition. The two guys in the finals are relatively minor characters in their respective shows - just those two shows happen to be extremely popular.

Polls are just for fun in most cases, they don't really mean much.

R

good point there roy! i just wanted to not see natruo the movie which wasn't great in my opinion win the award cause it will mean that the second movie will win next year now.

devilrules666 said:
good point there roy! i just wanted to not see natruo the movie which wasn't great in my opinion win the award cause it will mean that the second movie will win next year now.

Even your calling her roy now? :p Besides Naruto 2 may not get it after all the first bleach movie is out over here in may. Don't think either of them deserve it like, but polls can be very misleading anyway.

I thought the first Naruto movie was pretty good (as Shounen Jump movie spinoff cash cows go). Pity after that it all went downhill very fast.

Of course, it's nothing compared to a more thoughtful movie like this one. But that seems to be how these things go. Popularity and quality don't see eye to eye most of the time. And my DVD of this movie *still* hasn't arrived which is making me bitter!

R

fabricatedlunatic said:
Even though I have the R1 I'm tempted to buy the HMV exclusive edition for the bonus disc and art cards. I much prefer the cover art of the UK version, too; the R1 art is somewhat bland by comparison.
I'll likely end up with three copies. I have the HK R3, have ordered the HMV exclusive for the bonus content and if it comes out on Blu as well...

You've probably guessed that I like this film a lot.

Bit of a random post but I took some snapshots of both the SD DVD and Blu-ray rips for people wanting to see the differences between the two. I resized the SD snashot to 1270x720.

480P:

720p:

Is the difference visible? Yes, but I don't feel it's worth paying a great deal more for the Blu-ray release when the DVD quality is great.

I'm going to re-watch the film later, alongside Sword of the Stranger. I need to be reminded that anime films can be good after watching Wings of Boredom.

Edit: Again...

480P:

720P:

I can see a fairly major difference, especially in the top one. Look at the Auntie's badge around her neck. Look at Makoto's bag strap. Hell, just look at all the edges. The colours are the same all the way to a sharp, black line. Though I have to admit that the backgrounds don't benefit as much in this as I have seen in other HD animation.

There's a difference but chances are when it's moving constantly you will either forget that it's there or not notice at all. The Paprika bluray seemed like a rip. All they seemed to do was blur the image a little, it didn't look particularly crisp or clean at all when I watched it.

DVD's might be good if you're taking screenshots for reviews but as for simply watching unless you're really anal about picture quality generally speaking we're not there yet. I'm holding out for the real next big thing because bluray and HD just seems like an inbetweener.

Sy said:
There's a difference but chances are when it's moving constantly you will either forget that it's there or not notice at all. The Paprika bluray seemed like a rip. All they seemed to do was blur the image a little, it didn't look particularly crisp or clean at all when I watched it.

DVD's might be good if you're taking screenshots for reviews but as for simply watching unless you're really anal about picture quality generally speaking we're not there yet. I'm holding out for the real next big thing because bluray and HD just seems like an inbetweener.

Cannot agree more! I have a small setup anyway so bluray is redundant for me.

Full 4K (4096 x 3112) will be as far as we can go with anything made with most current technology, otherwise you'd need to enhance the picture beyond what it looked like on 32mm film. With animation, I expect it's lower than that because of the resolution / size of the actual cels and the fact that a lot is made for TV and not cinema (I don't know what film stock they use).

The way I look at it, now I have a PS3 I might as well buy Blu's and get something more for my money now that the price gap is so narrow. Plus it rids us of interlacing as well, which I always seem to notice on DVD. Each to their own - I know a lot of people say they can barely see the difference, so I'm either glad of my particularly good eyesight or they need to visit the opticians.

I can read your post from the other side of the room so my eyesight is fine.What I say is this. If the movie or TV show is any good then you won't be focusing so directly on the minor pixilation or whatever on the screen. If you find yourself not actually enjoying the movie and looking for every imperfection in the transfer then I'd hate to see how you watch films from the 50's or before.

Aion said:
Bit of a random post but I took some snapshots of both the SD DVD and Blu-ray rips for people wanting to see the differences between the two. I resized the SD snashot to 1270x720.

Why did you rip from NTSC?

You've also introduced artifacts by scaling the SD picture. Motion scaling as used by video scalers works very differently to the resizing done by a graphics package.

And you're comparing images with different compression, a 350kB JPEG vs a 1MB PNG.

Back