Review: Evangelion - Platinum #2

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Martin Butler has taken a look at Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum #2, released in the UK by ADV last week.<ul><span class="menu">The second disc in the Platinum edition maintains the standards set by the first with the picture, audio and packaging making it by far the most attractive version for new and die-hard fans alike. The episodes’ duration is still the same and the extra features are still unremarkable so less enthusiastic or wealthy buyers might want to go for the lower priced regular edition instead.</span></ul><a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/viewreview.php?showreview=114">Read the full review.</a>

Why go for the regular version? Its on more discs, has poor image quailty, NO extras and the DC version of the last few eps arent avalible in the normal stlye packaging, so they wont match up.

For the money you may save (not a lot) it just isnt worth it.

Yeh, definitely go for the NGE Platinum version if you don't already have the original NGE DVDs. But if you do have the original DVDs, then you'll have to be pretty die-hard to ship out another load of cash for the Platinums!

I've had the aussie eva box set for some time and it's a series i re-watch regularly. when i've got the cash i'll probably upgrade, just imagine those eva battles in bone rattling 5.1 surround.....heaven

I've got the old releases but I still had to shell out for the platinums (well I didn't have to, but I did.
Call me sad (No please don't) but I just NEEDED to have the ultimate edition of the best series ever.

Tessai said:
I've got the old releases but I still had to shell out for the platinums (well I didn't have to, but I did.
Call me sad (No please don't) but I just NEEDED to have the ultimate edition of the best series ever.
there are a lot of us who have done that...myself included! i'm not sure what i'll do with my regular editions though.

Although I do want the Platinum editions, the fact that I only got the originals last year has put me off collecting them straightaway. Knowing my luck, though, if I don't get them, they'll become super rare, but if I do, they'll go on sale or be outstaged by a new 'Titanium' edition.

I think the only reason I'd pick up these dvds is if I had a lot of spare cash , and it would be for the cover art (I really like the R1 artbox too ) . Picture quality isnt something I particularly care about as long as its watchable.

This is probably a good place to ask which one i should get because i've never watched the series and i know i should. When i was at HMV the other day i was going to buy the first dvd, i saw the platinum one there but there also seemed to be a few others there so i got confused and ended up buying Last Exile instead

In DvD terms for the UK I think there is the normal series ( not the same picture quality as Platinum ) which spans 8 discs, without the extended final directors cut episodes. Two Directors cut Dvds with longer versions of the ending episodes . A Perfect Collection ( although I think it was a Limited release so might be hard to track down now ) , which contains the complete normal series ( Not the Platinum picture quality , and not with the Directors Cut Episodes) . And the first 2 Platinum editions ( which have better picture and audio) . Oh and the two films , individual releases and a boxset ( Death And Rebirth , and End Of Evangelion).

But if you don't have any of them, you might as well start with the Platinum Editions, they have the remastered picture and sound, and are spread across fewer discs, plus you get the cool looking packaging. Of course if you're not interested in the newest and shiniest release, the release of the Platinum editions means that the originals should be going cheap.

Thanks that helps, i was just standing in that shop with such a baffled look on my face. Next time i get some money i will go for the Platinum edition then, i could tell which ones they were with their nice shiny covers

Back