Review: Elfen Lied #1

Pomtry

Combat Butler
Paul Bates said:
Elfen Lied #1 is animated exploitation, quite thrilling in execution but somewhat by the numbers with hindsight. You will be distracted by the violence, after all- who doesn’t enjoy seeing a man have his beating heart ripped from his body, but I am at a loss to highlight anything else as outstanding about Elfen Lied. There is a humorous harem comedy building underneath the ever growing pile of severed arms and legs but truthfully, it's all about the gore.

Click here to read the full review.

Ultra violent anime I dont recomend eating while watching this anime because it wont stay there for long.

pomtry said:
Paul Bates said:
Elfen Lied #1 is animated exploitation, quite thrilling in execution but somewhat by the numbers with hindsight. You will be distracted by the violence, after all- who doesn’t enjoy seeing a man have his beating heart ripped from his body, but I am at a loss to highlight anything else as outstanding about Elfen Lied. There is a humorous harem comedy building underneath the ever growing pile of severed arms and legs but truthfully, it's all about the gore.

Click here to read the full review.

Ultra violent anime I dont recomend eating while watching this anime because it wont stay there for long.

or if your screamish like me lol

The violence didn't bother me that much. Really bloody (in both senses :p) awesome anime :D My male friend came into school on theme day dressed as Lucy xD It was way good.

But yeah don't watch if you are squimish!

JJ181 said:
The violence didn't bother me that much. Really bloody (in both senses :p) awesome anime :D My male friend came into school on theme day dressed as Lucy xD It was way good.

But yeah don't watch if you are squimish!

:shock: a guy came in dressed as Lucy? ok that’s actually a little disturbing. And when I watched Elfen Lied I actually got more wrapped up in the weird story and hardly noticed the blood. Guess I play to many violent video games :p

The first five minutes of the first episode are shocking (including the opening), for a little bit, but you get a custom to it, so its all good. some parts can be a bit sickening though, story wise anyways.

haha that's true I completely absorbed the violence too and didn't really notice it just was sucked in by the storyline :D

Everybody makes out Elfen Lied is the most voilent anime out...Yes, the first episode along with a few other parts on other episodes do have a lot of it...though I've seen worst...havent anyone watched legend of the overfiend? Anyway, it tries to balance it out with other things (possibly romance?) and rarely includes swearing. (with the exeption of that guy who gets his eyes stabbed) They do though, like to include alot of blood and is a bit more realistic than most animes when poeple on it get half of their bodies sliced in half...

Deidara said:
havent anyone watched legend of the overfiend?

In all fairness; The Legend of the Overfiend is hentai and quite a lot of the anime watching population tend to stray away from anything like that.

Akaten said:
I've only seen the first episode on Propellar (hate watching foreign language shows being dubbed though) so I cannot judge the series as a whole. How does it develop? But from what I saw wasn't impressed at all. Didn't find the gore offensive, just throwaway violence and had no impact on me, it doesn't mean anything just a splatter of blood here and there for stylised effect.

The first episode is all about the shock value. It has blood, gore and all the likes but the good stuff doesn't come until later. Elfen Lied had a very good story underneath all the gore, i'm too busy to go into it with detail now. But after the first episode the story starts to build and if you can look past the blood etc it's pretty good.

Aye, the blood and gore are really more of a suppliment to the story, greasing the wheels if ya like :wink: to hammer the points of the story. I don't feel that the violence is uneccessary, ESPECIALLY when you compare it to something like Hostel which is plain disgusting and has no real point to it whatsoever other than to take one point and stretch it out for an hour and a half.

Buy hey i'm pretty much entiretly desensitised to violence now, it doesnt bother me and in most cases there is a valid reason (or a reason you can make up for it hehe) To be honest i felt that End of Evangelion is gorier, or at least more graphic; the one and only fight scene is pretty vicious.

Back