Review: Chrono Crusade #1

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Stuart Bullen has taken a look at the first volume of ADV's Chrono Crusade (out in the UK now), a series that promises to be one of ADV's flagship titles of the year.<ul><span class="menu">Gonzo fans delight, the digi-mation pioneers have yet another hit on their hands with Chrono Crusade, a gleefully subversive action adventure that will fill a big Hellsing shaped hole in many anime fans hearts. I don't want to sell this series short by leaning too heavily on the Hellsing comparisons but they'll inevitably be made, thankfully though CC has enough twists and quirks to emerge from Hellsing's shadow and stand on it's own.</span></ul><a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/viewreview.php?showreview=120">Read the full review.</a>

How does Chrono Crusade compare with Kiddy Grade? I'm not the biggest fan of Kiddy Grade and this looks like a similiar kind of thing; young girls, guns and invincible characters etc.

I watched the first DVD of Kiddy grade but I couldn't get into it, I thought that the character Ecair was really cool tho.

Its better than Kiddy Grade, at least in the getting srtared way (unlike KG it doesnt to be taking ages to get a plot together)

Paul said:
How does Chrono Crusade compare with Kiddy Grade? I'm not the biggest fan of Kiddy Grade and this looks like a similiar kind of thing; young girls, guns and invincible characters etc.

Read the comment I posted after the review- imo Chrono Crusade suceeds where Kiddy Grade, to some extent, failed (not that I didn't enjoy that show personally, but it did have its flaws). For the first couple of episodes, you'll see similarities (Rosette's fellow nuns are giggly and somewhat annoying like Eclair's receptionist friends, for example), but once it hits Episode 3 Chrono Crusade begins to show its superiority. The significance of the times when Chrono is allowed to use his true power, and his backstory with Rosette and her brother are immediately interesting, and although I don't know (and don't want to know ahead of time) what will become of that in future volumes, I'm eager to find out.

In retrospect, Kiddy Grade felt a bit like going out for a meal and only having a starter and dessert- what you had tasted good, but you couldn't help feeling that something was missing. Chrono Crusade just feels a whole lot more satisfying.

I haven't watched mine yet. I must admit the only reason I bought it, is because for some reason the previews I saw reminded me of Steam Detectives!!

Well it is set in the 1940's, so that probably explains he similar look.

Anyway, I've only seen the first two episodes, so I can't comment much appart from it being a light hearted and action packed series so far. Fun stuff, it's a bit reminiscent of Trigun I suppose, in the style of its action / commedy slant.

*checks DVD case* yup, it's set in the 20s. it already shows the signs of being a great show - the mixture of action and comedy is a little uneven to start with but it soon gets into its stride. sadly, i haven't seen Kiddy Grade or Hellsing either so can't draw any comparisons there but Chrono Crusade is definitely one to look out for.

Back