Release dates set for Yukikaze and Crest of the Stars

Crest of the Stars is an excellent anime. I have watched both that and Banner of the Stars on R1 DVD and will shortly watch Banner of the Stars II. (I'll be collecting the UK release when that comes out

You may be interested to know that Tokyopop is shortly going to release the novels upon which the original story is based, which is something I am looking forward to.

Concrete badger said:
Both sound interesting, although the romance element of Crest of the Stars makes it the more appealing of the two.

It's definitely a great show, and easily one of my top 10. I really liked the characters (despite being sci-fi, it's a largely character based show), and the way they've gone for a more mature approach to sci-fi space opera is something that's hard to find in other shows set in space. Plus, the dialogue was surprisingly witty at times. I really hope they release Banner of the Stars I - III here as well.

Yukikaze I've never even heard of before though. :S

Gawyn said:
You may be interested to know that Tokyopop is shortly going to release the novels upon which the original story is based, which is something I am looking forward to.

You dead certain of this? i.e. post a link? The novels is a big deal.

Currently only the manga has been released in the west (and the manga was made after the anime, ie its a fan-only kind of thing, and not a replacement for the anime/nonels).

Recently Tokyopop announced that they were bringing the Seikai trilogy for release in the UK (i.e. you will be able to get it in Waterstones now instead of Forbidden Planet/Gosh etc.). Are you sure you are not confusing it with that announcement.

Personally, I think this is a good time to bring over the Seikai novels series. The early attempts to bring over anime/manga related source novels (e.g. Vampire Hunter D, RahXephon) have apparently been quite successful. Mind you the Seikai series is a bit of a challenge. 7 novels, hard sci-fi technical and a whole new lexicon to deal with. I personally don't think that lexicon was handled well in the manga (if they were going to use the abh language they should have subtitled it). Flipping back to the glossary isn't fun, and would be less so in a novel.

However there is a precedent for made-up languages workign in novels. I believe Harry Harrisons 'Eden' sci-fi series - but he got advise from linguists and stuff when he invented the human tribes' language.

Edit: There isn't so much of a Romance element in the series. The relationship between the leads is unusual, and is probably much more profound that romantic.

Yukikaze: GONZO decide to do something like Macross Zero - sci-fi, lots of dogfights, and then don't bother to finish it. Its been what, nearly 2 years since the release of episode 4 (out of a 5 episode series).

Back