Recommendations appreciated! :)

Alice

Student Council President
I'd love some recommendations on what anime to watch next that contains some certain elements.

I'm looking for a serious sort of anime - by this, I mean an anime with a more mature atmosphere as opposed to something aimed more towards children like Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh!. So far, I've completed Wolf's Rain and Cowboy Bebop and have adored both. I've watched a lot of Naruto, but I'm looking for something else a little more sophisticated, similar to the aforementioned. ^^; I hope I'm not sounding too snobby here, haha.

I'd appreciate any suggestions! Thanks in advance.

Beck, Honey and Clover and KGNE are fantastic if your looking for mature dramatic and realistic anime, but if your looking for action etc then theres lots to chose from :D

If you like Cowboy Bebop type of things, Outlaw Star is a nice watch.

I'm sure the others can recommend a lot more though.

Macross Plus would be a good bet based on your love of Bebop and Wolf's Rain. Yoko Kanno did the soundtrack for all three and a lot of the same creative staffs worked on all three. Macross Plus can be found quite cheap too, well worth a bet.

Wow, thanks for all your help. That was quick. :p
I'll read up on all of them and make my decision after I've finished Samurai Champloo (which is brilliant, by the way). Thanks again!

Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent, Crest of the Stars and Witch Hunter Robin are probably worth a look too. All of those have a fairly mature theme to them with some thought provoking story to them as well :).

I never recommend Witch Hunter Robin to anyone anymore. Not after I recommended it to several people and they all ended up slagging it off constantly. :{

Anything directed by Satoshi Kon (he's done Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress and Toyko Godfathers as well as Paranoia Agent)! I'll second the choices of Haibane, Macross Plus and Lain as well.

If you like fantasy Escaflowne is hard to beat - Ms Kanno did the music for that too.

If you liked Bebop it would make sense to check out Wolf's Rain, same director and I've heard the show is quite an emotional & powerful one, may be your kind of thing

EDIT: I really should learn to read posts better, you already seen this :)

Have you seen Basilisk or Gankutsuou (The Count Of Monte Christo)? Both shows are for a 'maturer' audience and you ain't gonna find any funny ha ha moments in either show. Also I try to pimp these shows on anyone coz I love them so much :)

Neon genesis evangelion is a great show to watch. Side effects include confusion, drowsiness, paranoia, wanting to watch it again, and head explosions.

if you're looking for shere WTF-age, then I suggest Puni Puni Poemy and Excel saga. both were directed by Shinichi "nabeshin" watanabe. trus me, wierdness is fight in these two.

Ryo Chan said:
i'm gonna recommend what i always recommend and that is the classic that is Tenchi Muyo

Seconded. The Tenchi OVA's are perhaps some of my favorites.

I'm glad someone remembered to reccomend them. :roll:

I remember renting the Tenchi OVAs a couple of years ago now, having never seen or really heard of any series, and yeah they were really fun. There's a couple of movies available in the UK too IIRC

Yeah. Unfortunately, the movies out are based off of Tenchi! universe.

Why on earth they released movies based on a series that Isn't out over here is beyond me.

Yeah much like the new Saiyuuki Requiem movie coming out here while presently none of the 3 seasons are available, just smacks of making money on anything companies are lucky enough to aquire to me

if you are looking for something more story driven than your average action anime, then you could chek out Peacemaker, it is a cool series.

Back