Recession hits UK Anime fans again

An interesting service there, angelkaede. Your 'stamps for pocky' initiative strikes me as quite a novel one.
I should expect you're quite popular with the local anime society.

angelkaede said:
Mohawk52 said:
Ryo Chan said:
Zin5ki said:
angelkaede said:
I work for a specialized Manga Store just outside of London.
We're all ears. Some more details would most probably be of use to us.
:

I believe UP1 is.
Yes we're based in Reading, but as i said, we also do P&P if people live far off (we got a lot of people in Uni and stuff)

our website is www.redgardenmanga.com

If theres any queries, please email us at [email protected]

Please do visit, we would be very grateful and we look forward to hearing from any of you.
For minute there I though you were implying that United Publications had moved to Reading, and changed their name to Redgarden, but then I realised it was just a large typo on your part. :wink:
Living in Basingstoke, it's good to see a Manga shoppe closer to the "stokes". Sadly Reading's extortionate parking charges prohibit me ever going there to shop. :wink:

Spyro201 said:
angelkaede said:

Please do visit, we would be very grateful and we look forward to hearing from any of you.

In the new releases you metion ; Ghost in the Shell [Kodansha] - New Print!

Care to supply an image in a PM to me or something? I'm interested in all Ghost in the Shell 8)8)

From what I have heard on a US podcast it is a re-print of what Dark Horse have put out with additional censoring.

Well, from looking in the Borders just off Tottenham Court road last week I'd have to say it didn't look like they were too worred about niche markets.

The manga section was about 50% Naturo and Bleach, of the rest I don't think I spotted a vol 1 or 2 of anything. Not a lot of use if you wanted to go and pick up a new title. Even the sci-fi section was so-so. My local waterstones carries a better selection (and possibly more manga too). Again very few first books of series. Lots of 'that looks interesting, wait, its book 3 in a series and books 1 & 2 are not here'.

Cue a short walk to Forbidden Planet and about an hour and £80 browsing their sci-fi section :)

I actually had a glance at their manga section when I went to Leeds, since they have a Border shop. I've got to say, they take better care of their manga far more than Bradford's Waterstones. They have it neat and tidy, and it span two parts, with around 4-5 shelfs on each.

Waterstones have it on a spin-deck and dump the rest either in those manga cardboard shelfs or stack them on the floor next to it.

Manga hardly sells well in a shop. It's expensive collecting them compared to say, buying a novel that will give you hours or days worth of reading.

Dracos said:
Spyro201 said:
angelkaede said:

In the new releases you metion ; Ghost in the Shell [Kodansha] - New Print!

Care to supply an image in a PM to me or something? I'm interested in all Ghost in the Shell 8)8)

From what I have heard on a US podcast it is a re-print of what Dark Horse have put out with additional censoring.

I'm assuming that will be regarding certain coloured pages. I think il keep my uncensored copy then :)

Spyro201 said:

It's simply they've reprinted it in a larger version to the original. it includes colour pages/ panels dotted amongst the b&w ones.

the cover is this one >> http://cdn.comixology.com/2009/AUG09/AUG090982.jpg

personally i dunno is it's overly much different form the original (never having read it myself), but my boss seems to like it thoroughly, along with some of the customers.

Zin5ki said:
An interesting service there, angelkaede. Your 'stamps for pocky' initiative strikes me as quite a novel one.
I should expect you're quite popular with the local anime society.

ha ha xD

wll we're trying our bit to save the planet :p a lot of people go for it ^^

Kyoraki said:
Also-
Borders, which also owns Books Etc, has suffered from increased competition from online retailers and supermarkets.

Since when did supermarkets have a good enough range of books to compete with bookstores?

It's not the range that Supermarkets compete with. They do so by pricing the bestsellers out of the range of the bookshops. It's exactly what the Supermarkets do with everything else - sell things at near cost price at volume to maximise profits.

Back