Real murder sees School Days replaced by Nice Boats

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
The final episode of School Days, which was scheduled to air on Japanese TV this past Tuesday evening, was pulled from broadcast and replaced by calming images of "<a href="http://animearimasu.animeblogger.net/2007/09/18/school-days-12-enwait-what/">Nice Boat</a>"s after it was reported that <a href="http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20070918p2a00m0na006000c.html">earlier on in the day</a>, a 16-year-old Japanese school girl axe-murdered her 45-year-old police sergeant father; the girl is quoted as saying "I attacked him. I hate my father".

<a href="http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20070919p2a00m0et021000c.html">TV networks quickly responded</a> to the news by pulling the last episode of the School Days anime, which was said to feature a "schoolgirl acting violently" - possibly "slashing a victim with a knife".

Oh yes I heard about this. Well I still would have wanted to watch this episode since it was going to be the last episode. It was rumoured to have a bad ending and school days are to be known to have very violent bad endings in their games. . I heard that when they were going to air this episode they were going to show the blood black instead of red. In my opinion I don't think that the ending will be too violent. I am expecting it to be similar to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni's violence.

Ouch :eek:

This is going back to the whole, TV and games influencing kids argument.
Why connect the two, just because something was similar to the series doesn't mean that there was a direct influence or cause. This news is still fresh at the moment, perhaps there were underlined problems (well I say perhaps) :S
Anyway, I'm guessing the series was a 15 age rating so we can't argue that she wasn't old enough to watch it in the first place. Grande Theft Auto and ManHunter had that problem (Manhunter not being that good either). The only thing this mite have done is promote the series, so more people will be interested in seeing what could have been soo bad it was cancled.
::sigh::
I would go on but I really should be doing somting.
I am in work afterall :p

Voddas said:

Why connect the two, just because something was similar to the series doesn't mean that there was a direct influence or cause. This news is still fresh at the moment, perhaps there were underlined problems (well I say perhaps) :S
Anyway, I'm guessing the series was a 15 age rating so we can't argue that she wasn't old enough to watch it in the first place. Grande Theft Auto and ManHunter had that problem (Manhunter not being that good either). The only thing this mite have done is promote the series, so more people will be interested in seeing what could have been soo bad it was cancled.

i think it's more of a respect thing

u wouldn't put on an episode of 24 the same day as 9/11 would you?

Ryo Chan said:
Voddas said:

As Ryo said, it is out of respect. The same thing happened for Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu when one episode got split into two sections because the second half of one episode dealt with a kidnapping (or similar) and a high-profile kidnapping had recently occurred.

Ryo Chan said:
Voddas said:

Good point. Guess I'm just in that annoyed state of mind with being at work and all. There is still an argument there though :)

Paul said:
A 16-year-old Japanese school girl axe-murdered her 45-year-old police sergeant father; the girl is quoted as saying "I attacked him. I hate my father".
OH SHI-- It's Tokyo Godfathers all over again.

I wanted to watch School Days just because of reading it was going to have a violent ending. :X. Poor me. On the upside, Its another anime that has been knocked off my list for now.

Gawyn said:
Ryo Chan said:
Voddas said:

As Ryo said, it is out of respect. The same thing happened for Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu when one episode got split into two sections because the second half of one episode dealt with a kidnapping (or similar) and a high-profile kidnapping had recently occurred.

Didn't they also hold back on airing the original FMP Series as well due to the events of 9/11, since the show had a plane hijacking as well?

I was never really planning to watch this in the first place but i knew somehow the ending was going to be one of those 'bad endings' which the game itself had.

Arbalest said:
Didn't they also hold back on airing the original FMP Series as well due to the events of 9/11, since the show had a plane hijacking as well?

I was never really planning to watch this in the first place but i knew somehow the ending was going to be one of those 'bad endings' which the game itself had.

think the only episode of fmp that got pulled was the child kidnapping one as a kid was kidnapped in japan about the same time.

Nyu said:
Arbalest said:

think the only episode of fmp that got pulled was the child kidnapping one as a kid was kidnapped in japan about the same time.

no i double checked, originally the first series was to be aired in autumn 2001, but due to the events of 9/11 it was pushed to 2002.

Okay, it's a tragedy but what in heaven's name does it have to do with a TV show?! I'm guessing fans of the show are outraged, and rightly so. I guess 'bowling for Columbine' knee-jerk reactions aren't restricted to the US!

I'm sure the picture of a 'nice boat' will persuade anyone thinking of committing a heinous and brutal crime to change their minds though.[/sarcasm]

Martin said:
Okay, it's a tragedy but what in heaven's name does it have to do with a TV show?! I'm guessing fans of the show are outraged, and rightly so. I guess 'bowling for Columbine' knee-jerk reactions aren't restricted to the US!

I'm sure the picture of a 'nice boat' will persuade anyone thinking of committing a heinous and brutal crime to change their minds though.[/sarcasm]
It is hardly a knee-jerk reaction. Japan is a very society-centred culture and I am sure that the TV station did not want to offend anybody involved with the incident. Besides that, violent crimes in Japan happen somewhat less than most other places in the world, which is why they cause such a fuss when they do happen.

Back