Rate the Last Film You Watched

Justice League Crisis on Infinite Earths part 1 (of 3)

God damn what an amazing film. A rare 10/10 from me. Lived up to the hype.

Flash being the world's biggest gigachad caught in glorious 4k. And amazingly they validated everything, even House of Mystery. The tomorrowverse was secretly cooking when no one believed. The only flaw was ironically from how the last movie (Justice League warworld) abruptly ended leaving this one to pick up a few pieces.

Part 2 soon pls.

Justice League Crisis on Infinite Earths part 1 (of 3)

God damn what an amazing film. A rare 10/10 from me. Lived up to the hype.

Flash being the world's biggest gigachad caught in glorious 4k. And amazingly they validated everything, even House of Mystery. The tomorrowverse was secretly cooking when no one believed. The only flaw was ironically from how the last movie (Justice League warworld) abruptly ended leaving this one to pick up a few pieces.

Part 2 soon pls.
Nice heads up.
I'm a fan of DC's animated stuff.

Always like hearing that someone enjoyed a film enough to give it 10/10.

Just came back from seeing Dune part 2. Worthy followup to the original imo. There were a few jump cuts which felt a bit awkward near the middle (the fast travel phenomenon).

Just like the first movie I'm sure you will hate it if you read the book but I don't have that pleasure so I was forced to enjoy it :p

Just came back from seeing Dune part 2. Worthy followup to the original imo. There were a few jump cuts which felt a bit awkward near the middle (the fast travel phenomenon).

Just like the first movie I'm sure you will hate it if you read the book but I don't have that pleasure so I was forced to enjoy it :p
I also watched Dune pt.2 last week, for some weird reason I didn't like it as much as pt.1 but it was still damn good!
I definitely enjoyed both (apart from some questionable casting choices🤦‍♂️), but yeah I liked the first one more too. The book remains my favourite from my school days so the movies did have a lot to live up to but I was reassured with them being in Villeneuve's hands. Knowing his skills and as a fan of the books, I was however really sad that he didn't put in some fantastic phantasmagorical scenes of Paul's visions of the numerous possible timelines and their potential outcomes. These were probably the one thing from the book that I was looking forward to the most😔. Nevermind, still a great adaptation of the book.

I've read all of Herbert Snr's Dune books and loved them but now I may even be tempted to give his son's books on the series a shot heh. The age of Marvel has certainly helped with adaptations of sci fi classics previously thought unfilmable, including the excellent Foundation series.

Just saw Godzilla x Kong.

That was some Showa series levels of nonsense but it was fun. I rate it Showa / 10

No pink Godzilla was a totally meaningless power up, as matter of fact it was a Kong movie first and foremost guest starring Godzilla.

I've been a fan of Tetsuo: The Iron Man since the 90s, so it's weird that I've taken so long to start catching up on some of Tsukamoto's other movies.

Hiruko the Goblin
A misleading title since yokai has been translated as goblin. The actual monster in this movie is basically the head spider from The Thing. As one of the few studio movies that Tsukamoto has made, it looks oddly clean and conventional compared to his independent movies. There's some uncharacteristically painterly cinematography on display in places, but mixed in with some handheld camera work that looks more Sam-Raimi-esque than Tsukamoto's usual frenetic style.

The horror-comedy plot is also more conventional than I expected, though it's fairly entertaining. Worth watching once, but not one I'd want to revisit.

Tetsuo: The Bullet Man
"You don't want me inside you. You don't know what I'll do."

The third Tetsuo was originally going to be produced by Quentin Tarantino and intended for a US audience. That side of things fell through, but for some reason this still ended up being a very Americanised take on Tetsuo's ironpunk body-horror nightmares. More specifically, it's a warped, overblown, clunky, borderline-parody of what a movie aimed at an American audience should be. Where the original was surreal and abstract, The Bullet Man is painfully literal, going to great lengths to explain what is happening and why in lengthy, dry scenes of exposition delivered by English-speaking actors who have that random-guy-dragged-in-off-the-street cadence to them.

It also suffers from being made in the early digital camera era, when everything coming out of Japan looked like a home movie. The action scenes use the most exaggerated shaky cam I've ever seen (the Bourne movies look practically locked on a tripod by comparison), to the point where it's almost impossible to see what's happening. A few memorable moments aside, this is a major step down from the previous Tetsuo movies.

Kotoko
The most thematically challenging movie I've seen from Tsukamoto, this depicts a single mother struggling to raise her child while being tormented by crippling psychosis. A Beautiful Mind delved into the protagonist's hallucinations and delusions, but sometimes stepped back to a more objective view so the viewer could distinguish reality from hallucination. Kotoko offers no such comfort, keeping us locked inside her tormented viewpoint from start to finish, never certain what is real. The cheap digital camera look is on display here too, but this time it works with the story to lend it a harrowing docudrama air.

Some film-makers spend their whole career trying to tell one story, and it's interesting to see the structural parallels between Kotoko, Tetsuo, and A Snake of June. All of these stories see someone trying to lead a normal life, only to be stalked by a stranger who pushes them to awaken to an opposite, often self-destructive way of being, inevitably with disastrous consequences. Tetsuo depicts this as metal corrupting first the body, the mind, and finally the world. A Snake of June (and Tetsuo again) depicts it as a sexual awakening clashing against a disease that threatens to overwhelm the protagonist's body.

Kotoko flips the script in some ways, having the protagonist begin deep within disastrous circumstances, while the stalker seeks to help her back to reality, albeit through equally disruptive means. It's interesting that Tsukamoto always casts himself as the stalker in these stories.

Tár
There are pieces of a great movie here: a powerhouse performance by Cate Blachett as a brilliant, flawed, egomaniac conductor; strong visual storytelling that trusts the actors to convey meaning through body language and trusts the viewer to pick up on it; and some plot elements that have strong dramatic potiential. Sadly it's undone by bloated, indulgent editing that goes round in circles and lacks focus. Numerous small scenes lack any purpose. Longer scenes often drag on longer than needed. Entire sub-plots meander along and are never resolved. There's an argument to be made that the edit is structured in a way that mirrors Tár's comments in the opening scene about the way conductors manipulate the passage of time for the audience, but the result didn't have me tapping my foot to the beat, just tapping it in impatience.

I had the same reaction to another critically lauded character study, There Will Be Blood. Both follow a viciously direct and driven individual on a path that threatens to ruin them. Both come from film-makers who seem so mesmerised by their lead's performance that it blinkers them to the structural needs of the story. So both are films that I can appreciate on an academic level, but will probably never revisit.

Christiane F. (1981)

A milestone of German cinema, adapted from a series of real-life interviews with a young girl who drifted into the world of addiction and vice centred on Berlin’s notorious Bahnhof Zoo transit hub in the mid 1970s. Its verite-style approach to the material lends it a shocking immediacy, only made all the more horrific by the very young age of the actors, but I felt its clinical eye left me a little too detached from everything. Perhaps viewing it as an adult makes it harder to disengage yourself from the thought that Detlev, the pursuit of whom is arguably the main catalyst for Christiane’s addiction, is quite clearly a wrong ‘un, right from the start.

On a lighter note, the soundtrack, provided entirely by David Bowie (also appearing as himself in a cameo) is incredible- it really gives a whole new sense of time and place to his Berlin albums.

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire
This improved on Afterlife by not recycling the plot of one of the previous movies verbatim. I don't know if I would say it's a better movie overall though. The Ghostbusters formula is usually supernatural action-comedy, but this one only manages the supernatural part. On the action front, there's one arbitrary ghostbusting scene at the start and the whole cast stand around waving their proton streams in the last few minutes, but I don't recall there being any action inbetween. That wouldn't be too bad if it it managed to be funny, but it's not.

Phoebe is played much straighter than in Afterlife while Podcast barely appears. They were the best characters in Afterlife, and this movie suffers by not letting them be more entertaining. Paul Rudd has an okay arc as he struggles to adjust to being a stepfather, but it's nothing special. Phoebe's mother flat-out sucks. Ray is dour and burnt out. Venkman has one funny moment, but isn't around much. Meanwhile, great comedians like James Acaster and Patton Oswalt are added the cast while being given no funny material to work with, like they were instructed not to upstage the more established cast members. Kumail Nanjiani ends up being the one bright spot in story, since he's given a character with an actual personality.

The main problem with Frozen Empire is the overstuffed cast. You have almost all the surviving cast members from the 1984 original, the whole cast from Afterlife, and a bunch of new characters. They're constantly stepping on each other's toes as they fight for their moment in the spotlight. That's no doubt why the movie takes forever to get going. The only threat for the middle 80% is an ominous orb that vibrates occasionally.

Unlike Afterlife, this is a movie I might--might--want to watch again at some point, but Ghostbusters 2016 keeps looking better and better in comparison to these later sequels.

Last edited:
MaXXXine (2024)

The third instalment of Ti West‘s ‘X’ series sees an ambitious adult star reach the cusp of breaking into mainstream movies, only for her dark past to start catching up with her, all while a leather-clad killer roams the streets in 1985 Los Angeles. With its pitch perfect evocation of the 80s slasher/giallo movie aesthetic, this appealed to me far more than X or Pearl, but that did give me certain expectations that the film falls a little short of. It has a strong first half, with a great lead performance from Mia Goth as the morally ambiguous title character (alongside a scene-stealing turn from Kevin Bacon in a small role), but once the film starts to show its hand and it becomes clear where the story is headed, I felt it became less interesting, eventually reaching a surprisingly conventional finale.

Well worth seeing if the look of it appeals to you, but anyone expecting something on the level of Argento or De Palma in their prime will be disappointed.

Civil War
A solid movie in the vein of Apocalypse Now, where a group of journalists travel across the wartorn US to interview its president on what seems to be the eve of his defeat. It's received some criticism for being vague about the reasons for a second US civil war, but that's pretty well inferred by a conversation halfway through. Also the why would just get in the way, since it's clearly designed as an exercise in shock and awe based around the premise of "What if it happened here (again)?". It probably fell a bit short on that for me, since the US isn't my "here", but it's visceral enough to get the point across.

Plotting is more conventional than I expected, since it follows the Hollywood patterns of older people sacrificing themselves to save the young, and most villains getting their comeuppance. Perhaps it should have played against those tropes and gone for total soul-crushing bleakness, but I'm not sure if that would have made it markedly better. Instead it peppers its gut-punches through its imagery and dialogue to great effect, which seems fitting for a story that follows the press.

Perhaps more disturbing to me was that Kirsten Dunst is now old enough to be the grizzled veteran war photographer passing the torch to the new generation. I feel like I blinked and missed when she stopped being the new generation.

Perhaps more disturbing to me was that Kirsten Dunst is now old enough to be the grizzled veteran war photographer passing the torch to the new generation. I feel like I blinked and missed when she stopped being the new generation.
Heheh, I know the feeling whenever I look at The Virgin Suicides - getting old sucks. I look at tennis players and am already talking like a grandpa on watching tennis' golden age in my youth 😂.

Great movie though, one of my favourites of the year. I totally get what you mean about the Hollywood patterns, I registered them but found the movie so bleak that in the grand scheme of the completely avoidable and unnecessary destruction wrought by humanity on itself, it didn't feel to me that it really mattered which individuals ended up six feet under a tad bit earlier. Far more a horror movie I felt compared to most for projecting an increasingly probable "what if"...

Memories of Murder (2003)
This was my first experience with a Bong Joon-Ho film and I found myself thouroughly captivated by it. I'll admit that it took me a while to settle into the tone of the film as my experience with asian cinema beyond anime and tokusatsu productions is limited, but once the film started weaving the threads of the plot together and I grew acustomed to the characters and their dynamics, I felt like it only got better and better as it continued.

And goddamn, those last 10 minutes expecially were a damn masterpiece.

Dune: Part 2
I have conflicting feelings about this movie. That's not down to any particular flaws, though I don't think it reaches the same heights as part 1, but rather because it makes me drastically reassess a story that I've known in various forms for decades.

The 1984 movie is how I've experienced it dozens of times since I was a child. Setting aside Lynch's stylistic quirks, perhaps the most significant change it made from the novel is how it smoothes out and simplifies Paul's arc, painting him as a hero who seeks retribution for his wronged family and freedom for his adopted homeworld. That coloured my experience of reading the novel for the first time many years later, as did the inherent power of perspective bias that influences the reader to agree with a story's protagonist. In both the novel and the 1984 movie, Paul rarely faces a significant voice speaking against him from his own camp. Granted, the situation in Dune Messiah is different, but that's after the story jumps ahead over a decade.

Dune: Part 2 makes a major change to the power dynamics by turning Chani from a passive love interest to a vocal opponent of the Bene Gesserit prophecy. The further Paul walks down the path of prophecy, the more it drives a wedge between them. So while much of the climax of the movie plays out in a familiar way on the macro level of conflicts between factions, it amps up Paul's eventual turn to prophetic fervour and the impact that change in him has on Chani. This made me finally look beyond the battle for freedom on Arrakis and realise that, for the galaxy as a whole, Paul's ascension to the imperial throne is a nihilistic case of "meet the new tyrant, same as the old tyrant."

Mad Max

A movie I have been meaning to watch for a long time. It was fine, when I read the synopsis "ex-cop must avenge his family" I fully expected a lot of 80's action hero tropes but surprisingly the synopsis was a bit of a red herring.

I have a couple of complaints with the movie having a lot of fast cuts and messy camera work which made following a long a bit tricky sometimes, and I had to suspend my disbelief to try and figure out how certain characters knew certain things. On top of that it was described as a post apocalyptic setting but it really fails to make that part believable, considering society still exists in universe albeit in a bit of a wild west format. I would rather describe it as the normal world but the government has disappeared, that would be more accurate.

On the positive side though the stunts and action moments were great. In an age before CGI seeing a car plow through a group of bikers was definitely something and I would be interested to see some behind the scenes on how they did that safely. Overall it was enjoyable but a bit amateurish.

Mad Max

A movie I have been meaning to watch for a long time. It was fine, when I read the synopsis "ex-cop must avenge his family" I fully expected a lot of 80's action hero tropes but surprisingly the synopsis was a bit of a red herring.

I have a couple of complaints with the movie having a lot of fast cuts and messy camera work which made following a long a bit tricky sometimes, and I had to suspend my disbelief to try and figure out how certain characters knew certain things. On top of that it was described as a post apocalyptic setting but it really fails to make that part believable, considering society still exists in universe albeit in a bit of a wild west format. I would rather describe it as the normal world but the government has disappeared, that would be more accurate.

On the positive side though the stunts and action moments were great. In an age before CGI seeing a car plow through a group of bikers was definitely something and I would be interested to see some behind the scenes on how they did that safely. Overall it was enjoyable but a bit amateurish.
If I remember correctly it had budget of $400,000. The sequel had 10 times the money and Max gets some character development. It's the better film.
On a positive note my Mum enjoyed spotting actors from her Australian soaps.
Go Goose.

Back