Random Impulse made me buy Random Anime.

Ammish

Stand User
Yep, I decided to buy a random anime, something I known nothing about. What attracted me was the cover and it has 13 episodes for a reasonable price. Good ol' Manga, your quality and amount of episodes made me sucumb to buy it.

Ghost Hunt it's called and... 10 episodes in, because my sister wanted to watch it with me and couldn't stop watching it, and... well, I have certainly learnt my lesson.

It isn't that the anime is bad, but the characters really put me off. John Brown is like... the only appealing character, and that's because of his Australian accent. The dub voice isn't bad, I actually got used to them and it does suit certain characters. But the personality of them are... urking, especially the two main lead. The rest of the character cast, apart from John Brown, are bland and uninteresting. And the only thing that sets them apart is their background and rituals.

Other than that, it's nothing special and I wish I could've got it for a cheaper price =/ I bet it's one of these cases where the 'Manga' is superior.

So anything you bought out of randomness that you know nothing about? Or was it just me?

ghost hunt is a light novel from Fuyumi Ono who wrote my absolutely all time favourite 12 kingdoms (which I seem to be the only one to like it as someone recognized me as chaos from AUKN at expo because of it)

I've got it already, but I'm actually waiting or part 2 to be out before I start watching it.

Generally my answer would be no, as I like to do a fair bit of research before I invest money or bandwidth. However, Renkin San-kyu Magical Pokaan and Disgaea were both total spur of the moment choices for when I wanted to watch something light hearted.

MagiPoka - big hit with me. Anyone who likes to see Magical Girl series' having the piss taken out of them and some hilarious (and downright wrong) ecchi moments should give it a try. Disgaea... I think it's been long enough to consider it dropped. It didn't make me laugh, and I didn't find the story engaging either.

Aion said:
I did a huge amount of research before buying Petite Princess Yucie.
Really? Ryo just went ahead and bought it to my knowledge... :p T'was a decent series I suppose.

I do have a look at what interests me rather than just mainstreaming it. If something grabs my attention, I buy it. TBH, it's more true for my manga than my anime as you go into a bookstore and they display certain manga you may not have heard of before. So I pick it up, look at the 2 covers (maybe a peek inside to look at the style) and then decide if it's for me. That's how I got into Kieli, Black God and a few others. Granted, a few series I bought 1 volume and gave up on it, but for manga, £7 isn't too bad compared to a DVD around £12/15.

There have been occasions when I've bought something without expecting to make a purchase on such a day, but they're probably exempt: the only products I buy are the ones I have had at least a general intention of owning at some point.
The Gundam films I bought at the Expo may count, but then again I came in there intending to buy something, so I wished to purchase them in a de dicto sense, as opposed to a de re one.

As I tend to buy on the net I don't impulse buy that much unless I am making up an order to get the best out of shipping rates or offers. However a few times I have flicked past something and then ordered it as I remembered a trailer or someone saying some thing about it, not always with the best results. Things like Ghost Stories, Samurai Gun, Divergence Eve or Amazing Nurse Nanako probably fall into this category although every so often you manage to pick some thing up that is worth the risk.

As for Ghost Hunt I actually quite liked it, but I was disappointed that so many questions were left unanswered at the end of the second set.

I bourght the Shinkai collection after only remembering seeing a few wallpapers. Probably my best purchase ever.

Maltos said:
I bourght the Shinkai collection after only remembering seeing a few wallpapers. Probably my best purchase ever.
Good to hear. Pictures of clouds and overhead electric cables are part-and-parcel of his filmmaking, so those wallpapers were probably accurate depictions of what to expect.

Zin5ki said:
Maltos said:
Good to hear. Pictures of clouds and overhead electric cables are part-and-parcel of his filmmaking, so those wallpapers were probably accurate depictions of what to expect.
I believe it was this poignant image from 'The Place Promised...' that initially pushed me into purchasing the collection. Although it does have the trademark Shinkai clouds, it lacks the electric cables which have become one of my favourite inclusions in his work. It didn't quite prepare me for the melancholic story-telling though!

I fall for this every so often. The last time was Tokyo Mew Mew. Before that was Detective Loki and before that Demon Diary.

It's reassuring in a way. It tells me that i can't just watch any anime and like it regardless. And that there is quality to some of the crap i do watch and enjoy.

I've only made impulse purchases a handful of times, usually when something is going cheaper than £10. It's worked out occasionally (Evangelion, FMA), other times it hasn't (Ergo Proxy, Trinity Blood). Thankfully I've managed to steer clear of the real howlers though.

I don't think I ever impulse buy Anime nowadays, but when I first got into buying Anime dvds every purchase I made was impulse, and I stuck mostly to stand alone volumes. Thus so almost everything I have from those very early days is utter crap that I havn't cared to re-watch since!

On the other hand I impulse buy alot with Manga. I generally know what I like so I don't often go too wrong.

CitizenGeek said:
I've also done impulse buying on anime in the past with uniformly awful results (Golgo13, Tank Police, Dai-Guard, etc.) :/
Haha, and now you've unloaded them onto me. Well done. :)

I think the worst random purchase ever was The Ultimate Horror boxset by MVM with three decidedly awful films packaged into one throwaway boxset. Three licenses that they obviously couldn't sell individually without giving all three away for a fiver.

The CGI Appleseed movie was a bad idea as well. I couldn't stand the visuals on that one.

Back