Quick question - Witch Blade

well i've seen up to vol 3 if it counts, personally i've enjoyed it, not my favourite by any means but its got a good story past the fanservice (which there is by the bucket load)

I was avoiding this series until I impulsively downloaded the free episode one recently from iTunes (some American promotion). It was surprisingly interesting, even with the American dub. It's never going to be fine art but as far as stories and sex appeal go it looks as though it does what it says on the tin.

Needless to say, the DVDs are now on my shopping list. Even if it does change focus later (I don't want to know!) I'm convinced that what is there is worth a look from me.

R

Maxon said:
AWO can kiss my **** then. Let me guess; they didn't like the ending or character designs?

Actually they (or Gerald more precisely) did like the ending and character designs. He just didn't like anything else about. However he did say it was more sophisticated than it looks and wasn't as bad as he thought it would be.

Its a great series IMO. I have only seen the fansubs so have no idea how good the english dub is. Yes the story is fairly predictable but it is a fun ride.

I find the dub to be not that bad, it works well enough and doesn't leave me feeling as though i want to rip my ears off or complaining that the characters voice didn't fit at all

The dub was watchable but nothing special. I'm completely biased against redubs to and from any language though so that should almost be taken as praise.

R

I've got the first two volumes and it seemed fairly solid - I keep hearing that it evolves into something far more interesting over time so I will get the rest at some point.

My only real complaint is that the fanservice sabotaged it a little, since it just made me laugh at all the wrong moments.

ive just watched the first disk and have to say i'm enjoying it, its a good story, has anyone seen the live action series and is it any good?

story is fairly predictable? is it everyday we see a witchblade in anime?

To me the live action show wasn't that good at all :p and its nothing like the anime other then there's an object in it called the witchblade. Though there is a new live action movie coming out that suposed to be closer to the original comic book. Its a real shame that they never followed up the anime with a Darkness anime, tieing it in to the same universe.

Here's a description from Wiki (probably taken from Top Cow's website but meh)

The comic's central subject is the power known as The Darkness and its wielders. The Darkness is an ageless power dating back beyond human history. It is linked with the Angelus and the Witchblade. The Darkness is passed down a family line from father to son, leaving the previous user (and taking his life) as his first child is conceived. The power then manifests in the child on his 21st birthday.

Darkness users can create anything they desire with The Darkness, even sentient beings, but anything they make will crumble to dust in the light. The Darkness is quite deadly, allowing the user to call forth darkling minions to aid them, and even survive gunshots. The power can also be used to maul and feed on people.

The Darkness does not function unless it is dark, but some users can also manipulate this by creating their own shadows/darkness (e.g. smoke grenades), being underground, turning off lights in a room, etc.

A year or two ago they did bring a game out for it as well

yeh i had a look at the witchblade wiki about the anime. it sed that it not based on the manga and because of this many fans went into a outcry about it. still i found it to be a great series.

I like the fact that this hsow has managed to turn me around from how I first felt about it. When I saw the first shots it looked like a another fan service show that was going to be ****, but the charater focus on the mother and daughter relationship has really made me enjoy it.

I now have the first 5 volumes of Witchblade from MVM and I have preordered the final volume,which probably tells you how much I like this show.If you are thinking that the show is just about the fan-service and that's what you like then you won't be disappointed,but there is also a good story to be told.The best strand of the story for me is the mother(masane)and the daughter (riko) relationship and how they interact with each other.See this show and see pass the fan-service and you won't be sorry.

Back