Puella Magi Madoka Magica discussion (from The News Thread)

ayase said:
Rui said:
I think your manly-o-meter has indeed gone haywire.
In fairness to Vash, I don't think it necessarily has. Those of us who've been inside anime fandom for long enough sometimes end up with slightly distorted vision. More tolerant perhaps, but certainly not in-line with the attitudes of the majority. Is it good to give things a chance before you judge 'em? Yeah. Is it manly to collect statues of cute anime girls? In the eyes of most people, I'd imagine the answer would be no.

Personally I'm not predisposed to taking an interest in "cutesy" looking things unless people rave about them and assure me they're actually quite cool really (as happened with Higurashi, MagiPoka, Strawberry Marshmallow and yes, My Little Pony). My attitude was identical to yours up until about two years ago Vash, before I fell into the inescapable chasm of otakudom. I've found a nice little ledge about a hundred feet from the bottom if you want to join me. It's far enough down that I'm free from shame but not so far down that I collect hug pillows.

Mmm, summed up what I said better than I did :p

Though I still don't get the My Little Pony love...

Vash, you're an A+ amusing guy at times, but you do have somewhat of a history of making blind, sweeping statements of this nature. ^^; It's cliche, but you know what they say about when you assume...

ayase said:
Rui said:
I think your manly-o-meter has indeed gone haywire.
In fairness to Vash, I don't think it necessarily has.
In the context of the discussion, this was in response to Vash saying "I think they've misjudged what appeals to adult men"... clearly they haven't, since this is a profitable area of the market. I think one of the least manly things you can do is genuinely show an interest in who might win some reality TV show (and by that, I mean you would be laughed out of your own house by men of my Grandad's and possibly even my Dad's generation for showing an interest in it), but from what I can tell around my office it's actually fairly accepted these days. Things change.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
I think you undercut your own argument somewhat with the Ouran reference. :lol:

ilmaestro said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
I think you undercut your own argument somewhat with the Ouran reference. :lol:

:p I probably should have clarified that I did not initially watch Ouran out of choice, it was just one of the anime shown as a taster for my uni's anime club. Had I not seen it there I probably wouldn't have watched it, hence it feeds into the "don't judge by appearances" argument.

but you do have somewhat of a history of making blind, sweeping statements of this nature

Aye, I won't deny it, when it comes to anime I do have a habit of abruptly pre-judging a show based on first appearance(although I can't say my judgments always land far from their mark..). From now on I shall try and tame my inner Clergyman who just wants to slap an anime series in the face with a firey righteous Bible.

You have my apologies.

I think I'd trust an anime producer long before a clergyman.

Incidentally, and I'm not really qualified to say this at all despite the aura of raw machismo I seem to possess online, to me the manliest possible thing is not caring about how manly things are and just going with what feels good.

I prescribe the wonderful manga Otomen to anyone worried about gender roles. All the more so because it's shoujo.

R

(Argh, it's really starting to bug me how I'm reading all my posts in Koyasu Takehito's voice.)

I think I'd trust an anime producer long before a clergyman

Yeah, I think I'm with you on that one....hmm actually now that I think about it, it really depends on what anime producer we're talking about. I think certain anime producers and certain clergymen probably have a thing or two in common....

the manliest possible thing is not caring about how manly things are and just going with what feels good.

Hmm wha? I can't understand what you just wrote...I just see random letters...

All the more so because it's shoujo

......I think I would rather go out in high heels then read the dreaded shoujo.

My brain is exploding in awesome ways at the concept of a guy refusing to read a girly manga which is about a guy who is afraid to read girly manga.

R

ilmaestro said:
Rui said:
(Argh, it's really starting to bug me how I'm reading all my posts in Koyasu Takehito's voice.)
Bug you? imo it makes all of your posts far more epic and... manly. :lol:

But I'm enjoying rereading my own posts too much ;_;

R

Back