Ps3 won't read disks

Tachi- said:
Yagami said:
Tachi- said:
I think the laser on my laptop has died, need to fix that now :( which is a pain in the ****.

Laser on your laptop? o.0

the dvd laser, but alas, my technicianess was too much for it and its fxed :p

Tried google?

On another note, i walked in demanding a 1 year guarantee and new 40gb ps3. I walked out with a 80gb PS3 and 1 year guarantee.

Tachi- said:
Yagami said:
Tachi- said:
I think the laser on my laptop has died, need to fix that now :( which is a pain in the ****.

how did you sort it? my dvd drive is le ****** but I can't really afford to fix it. What did you do? Or did you just pick it up and shake it, cos thats plan B

Dizzae said:
Tachi- said:
Yagami said:
Tachi- said:

how did you sort it? my dvd drive is le ****** but I can't really afford to fix it. What did you do? Or did you just pick it up and shake it, cos thats plan B

:lol: funnily enough i broke my old ps2 a similar way, ei leavin a disk in tray, disk buckles, and refuses to open - i get hacked off and shake console. disk lodges and the ps2 doesn't open ever again (couldn't be bothered to open console and take disk out) so i wouldn't shake your technology if i where you lol.

well i'll need to know some more info before i can help you.
is the tray opening and closing without any problems?
when you put a disk in, go into my computer and does the C drive change to "DVD-RW" or does it display the title's name?
|
|-> If the C drive Changes to "DVD-RW" then the fault is merely with the laser, now this |could mean afew things...the laser is scratched (note that the naked eye is damn near |impossible to see a scratch on the laser because its so shiny and small) in which case i'd |recommend contacting any warranty company your under to have it replaced |professionaly OR |its got dust on the laser, a simple lasercleaner dvd will be your saviour |for a couple of quid.
|
|
|-> If the C drive changes to the disk title, but doesn't load...or loads but is glitchy or |skips alot, then check the disk....it maybe scratched to pieces and thats the problem. |gamestation and CEX do disk clean ups for |a small fee.
|
|
|-> if the disk tray wont open then depending its under warranty you may want to call the company your under warranty with. if your not covered, then if you have any technician friends then they could help open up your machine, unplug and unscrew the dvd drive and open it up, in most cases the first thing to go will be the laser due to the amount of exposure it has to everything. second thing to go would be the elastic band...i've seen afew cases where the elastic band has just worn down over time, broke and fallen off. (there won't be an elastic band on laptop computers)

Note that when you close the disk tray, the laser should reset. you'l hear a "zip- zip" sound as it does this. if you don't hear the sound then there could be something wrong with the dvd drive, and i'd advise going to pcworld.

can't really think of anything else that it could be until you've tried what i've already suggested. lemme know how it goes.

it recognizes the dvd and starts playing but it's incredibly slow and choppy I think it's probably a fault with the laser. I'll try and get a cleaning kit and see if that helps any

Dizzae said:
it recognizes the dvd and starts playing but it's incredibly slow and choppy I think it's probably a fault with the laser. I'll try and get a cleaning kit and see if that helps any

If the lens cleaner works then thats great :)
if it doesn't then i'd consult your video card...isit up to scratch or too old? or ....and i was just wondering....if your on vista. and its a laptop right? then click on the battery and select the high performance.....strangley enough it does smoothen dvds. can't think of much else atm, but lemme know if you need any more help. *hopefully you won't need it*

Back