Production I.G. looking to take GitS to Hollywood

Lupus Inu said:
Pfft fine, Motoko will now be played by Madonna.
:shock:
I hope not

I'm looking forward to this film, but I have a feeling that it won't be that good. I can't see any American company producing something that is as good or better than any previous GITS release.

Also, I hope that Production I.G continue to make new GITS series and films, I really want to see a 3rd and possibly 4th GIG soon :D

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Angelina Jolie would probably be cast as Motoko. Nevermind that she's just an average actor.

Hmm... I think Uma Thurman (with purple hair) would play a good Motoko. Not sure if she is 'pretty' enough though...

7zark7 said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
Angelina Jolie would probably be cast as Motoko. Nevermind that she's just an average actor.

Hmm... I think Uma Thurman (with purple hair) would play a good Motoko. Not sure if she is 'pretty' enough though...

God no not Uma I can't stand her, and Jolie would just come off as another Tomb Raider this time in the city battling crime

It would probably be best to us Asian actors/actresses to play the roles, as few American actors seem suitable for the roles (Who would play Aramaki?)

random_pie said:
It would probably be best to us Asian actors/actresses to play the roles, as few American actors seem suitable for the roles (Who would play Aramaki?)

Agreed, I would prefer an asian cast over an overpaid under skilled Hollywood one (I'm sorry but Hollywood just pi$$es me off)

Isn't James Cameron meant to be involved in a Battle Angel Alita film?

Which leads to another question:

Who would potentially direct it (a Ghost In The Shell film I mean)?

I'd nominate Uwe Boll. He needs to branch out doesn't he, right? :wink: :lol:

WTFDaveMustaine said:
More to the point. Who would play Togusa? Who has a mullet?

Hayden Christensen, simply because if he was in it I could watch the film with some one I know well (she likes him see) and I can then talk about Ghost In The Shell with her which she won't mind because Hayden is in it.

Umm, yes. :?

Hovis! said:
Isn't James Cameron meant to be involved in a Battle Angel Alita film?

Which leads to another question:

Who would potentially direct it (a Ghost In The Shell film I mean)?

I'd nominate Uwe Boll. He needs to branch out doesn't he, right? :wink: :lol:

WTFDaveMustaine said:
More to the point. Who would play Togusa? Who has a mullet?

Hayden Christensen, simply because if he was in it I could watch the film with some one I know well (she likes him see) and I can then talk about Ghost In The Shell with her which she won't mind because Hayden is in it.

Umm, yes. :?

We can get Peter Jackson in and we can have some epic battles that last for 2 hours each :p

When could they START to make this... 2009? It would take them a while to get a script and cast several people before filming even started, so it won't be released until around 2011-2012 anyway

Just signed up to this board to voice my opinion on this. I hope they don't go hollywood with this, it will suck.
Innocence and SSS were simply not long enough to hold anywhere near enough plot elements, twists or depth as a full series. Also with a hollywood moofie they'll need to spend half of the allotted time explaining the background to their new target audience, it would need to be a trilogy of 2 hour movies.
I'd find it more acceptable if it kept a cartoon feel by having it played by actors and then rotoscoped like A Scanner Darkly, but no matter how well it was done, I don't think it would touch the sides after being completely blown away by the 2nd gig.
What we need is a 3rd series, not another extra-long "case of the week" episode (ala Innocence and SSS). I think they should lock the writers in a room until they have enough plot for something good enough to top SAC 2nd gig, to push Kuze's dream forward and be remembered in 100 years time as an accurate prediction of the future - not waste their talents on an action b-movie which will be forgotten in 10 years time.

Personally my take on the idea is that if they did go for a live action movie of GitS, then it should be home grown. i also have no idea who would be best suited for each role =/. The idea of hollywood having a go does seem to me that it will turn out to be a flop somewhat.

bitplane said:
What we need is a 3rd series, not another extra-long "case of the week" episode (ala Innocence and SSS).

Though I agree a third season / series (or "Gig") would be fantastic, I think its wrong to be so dismissive of single entry (animated) film installments (or a "case of the week").

Personally, I think there's enough creative room for both a new 3rd Gig and some more Ghost In The Shell animated films.

And personally, I find the films and series of Ghost In The Shell go hand-in-hand, but rate Innocence as my personal favourite enhanced by all the other content around it.

And because for the most part I prefer films to a TV series, I'd rather have another film, but would still prefer both (because I'm greedy).

Maybe I just misinterpretated the meaning, but I got the indication that Innocence was being dismissed (as was Solid State Society, but I haven't seen that yet) and I thought I'd add that. :)

Hovis! said:
And because for the most part I prefer films to a TV series, I'd rather have another film, but would still prefer both (because I'm greedy).

I think that at least one more GIG should be produced, and hopefully a new film. But we will have to wait and see.

Back