Preview Death Note with free clips before buying UK release?

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
To celebrate the recent release of Death Note (anime) Volume 1 in the UK (it came out last Monday, 28th April), Manga Ent. have posted up 5 short streaming video clips cut from the first couple of episodes of  the series (English dubbed). If you're interested in sampling what is undoubtedly one of the biggest UK anime releases of the year, see below:
<ul>
<li><a href="http://onlinemoviepromo.com/player.php?id=2440">Clip 1 &ndash; LIGHT FINDS THE DEATH NOTE</a></li>
<li><a href="http://onlinemoviepromo.com/player.php?id=2441">Clip 2 &ndash; LIGHT WRITES IN THE DEATH NOTE</a></li>
<li><a href="http://onlinemoviepromo.com/player.php?id=2442">Clip 3 &ndash; RYUK</a></li>
<li><a href="http://onlinemoviepromo.com/player.php?id=2443">Clip 4 &ndash; RYUK MEETS LIGHT</a></li>
<li><a href="http://onlinemoviepromo.com/player.php?id=2444">Clip 5 &ndash; THE DEATH NOTE IN ACTION</a></li>
</ul>

You think? personally i disagree.
With a series this groundbreaking and big I was expecting much higher quality dub, i can't help but feel it was a bit rushed.
Light sounds more childish and less calm and cool than the original.
L's VA has great tone and pitch but that doesn't make up for the fact that the voice just doesn't match.
I've yet to come across a good ocean dub.

Oh well, i much prefer the Manga anyway, when you put them side by side the anime sometimes looks a bit plastic. (anime's still awesome though haha).

CitizenGeek said:
Wow, that dub is really much better than I expected ^__^

Have to agree, the dub is very good.

Currently drooling over the animation/art........so good :D

Got to disagree with kriffix. I'm picky about dubs for the most part and have to say that the Death Note dub is one of the better I've heard in a long while. I was a little unsure about Light's voice actor in the beginning but as the first episode came to a close my opinion changed. I even prefer L's dub actor to the original. For me it just works a whole lot better and he captures the character perfectly.

Its a good dub, I just get the idea, That if VIZ Media themselves dubbed it rather than pushing it off to some one-room apartment with a recording facility it would've got a much better sounding dub, overall. I like the characters voices, to be honest. Some signature parts sound bit off (Mainly the manic laughs produced by the two main protagonists), Although, really, that doesn't affect anything.

Awww i dont like the dub that much. I saw up to about episode 10 on Death Note TV a while back and, I dont really like Light or L's voice at all. Just doesnt seem to suit :(

I will have to wait and see what Mikami's voice is like to make my mind up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jayme said:
Its a good dub, I just get the idea, That if VIZ Media themselves dubbed it rather than pushing it off to some one-room apartment with a recording facility it would've got a much better sounding dub, overall.
To the best of my knowledge Viz does not have any recording facilities of its own. In fact, so far as I know, of the main companies only ADV handle their own in-house ADR production and everyone else outsources dubs to third party companies.

Gawyn said:
Jayme said:
Its a good dub, I just get the idea, That if VIZ Media themselves dubbed it rather than pushing it off to some one-room apartment with a recording facility it would've got a much better sounding dub, overall.
To the best of my knowledge Viz does not have any recording facilities of its own. In fact, so far as I know, of the main companies only ADV handle their own in-house ADR production and everyone else outsources dubs to third party companies.
Oh? That's interesting to know. I haven't looked into it but Death Note seems to be have done by a different company than some of their other more popular shows... or maybe not, then.

I'm trying to look around to see for third-parties where they might dub some of their licenses but it all seems very quiet and just hid behind the "VIZ Media Dubs.." label. I'm getting myself more interested now.

Jayme said:
Gawyn said:
Jayme said:
Oh? That's interesting to know. I haven't looked into it but Death Note seems to be have done by a different company than some of their other more popular shows... or maybe not, then.

I'm trying to look around to see for third-parties where they might dub some of their licenses but it all seems very quiet and just hid behind the "VIZ Media Dubs.." label. I'm getting myself more interested now.
ADV and FUNimation dub inhouse.

As for Ocean dubs... they are a very good dubbing option in Canada, with two studios. Blue Water (Calgary) and Westwood (Vancouver).

This is a Vancouver dub, with actors that wouldn't be out of place as extras on a Stargate or BSG set. They've also done some very high profile dubs with mixed reception, such as Gundam Seed (Destiny), and the recent GitS:SAC movies.

As for the dub, I've not heard any of it myself, but the word with the dub fans, is that it's middle-of-the-road. Nothing special, but not bad.

credit where credits due i do think it's quite a good dub

still not quite enough to sway me to be interested in the series though, too dark for me

I read that as "Preview Death Note with free Crisps before buying UK release?" and got a good chuckle out of it.

Also, Ryuk is over 9000 in the dub.[/i]

Back