popular anime that doesn't get a release AU/US/UK

Animefreak17

Godhand
a few weeks back i watched a review on the anime monster and i thought whao iv got to get this, so i looked it up and i saw how popular it was but sadly only the first boxset got released with 13 episodes, and the rest was cancelled, and im like-

hold on if monster is so popular why didn't it get a full release over here?

and im not just talking about monster im talking about other popular series that didn't get a full release, im not sure which other series didn't get a release or was cancelled but-

the thing is why isn't these popular anime getting the release they deserve, if there so popular then why?

The only thing I can think of is

The distributors tests the waters by releasing 12/13 episodes and saying to themselves "if this goes well we'll release the rest" but they don't tell us that's what their doing so...

We see a release for part 1 and say "I'll rather wait for the complete sets", less people buy it so they don't release the rest.

thats the problem, they dont tell us either there going to release it complete or in parts, personally id wait for the complete collection if i can help it

Viz is a bit unpredictable with season sets in general. They tend to drop anything which doesn't sell well, so I presume that despite its fame almost nobody bought Monster and they gave up. There are a lot of cases where a show will get a lot of buzz online and sell atrociously, and strangely, just as many cases where the opposite happens. I was surprised when Funimation mentioned at some point that Kenichi was one of their big hits since I never hear it talked about online - and Origin's position in the Anime Limited sales charts is mind-blowing, good distribution deal or not.

I didn't buy Monster myself because I already had the manga and I heard it was an especially close adaptation. Still waiting for the end of Full Moon Wo Sagashite though, Viz.

R

Viz..you only released 2 of the 26 Shakugan no Shana light novels, do something about that or give the license to someone who will.
Not to mention, 6 volumes of the 10 volume manga series...which curiously ends at the same point as the end of the 2nd light novel.

Agreed, I have the 2 light novels and volume 4-6 of the manga ( the first 3 have been hard to find for a reasonable price). Seeing as the anime doesn't always closely follow the story I'd love to understand how everything actually played out.

Hajime no ippo has one of the best mangas out there and have a great anime with two two series, both great, one movie/special and one ova. This should be released in here for sure.

you know what else pisses me off, when they do release a popular they do intend to forget ovas or specials, like the HOTD OVA but they there releasing it now.

Obviously it depends on the anime, but for ones with more than one OVA perhaps they were waiting to release them as a set? Like with Ranma 1/2, that has about 6 episodes on it.

animefreak17 said:
you know what else pisses me off, when they do release a popular they do intend to forget ovas or specials, like the HOTD OVA but they there releasing it now.

I'd assume it wasn't part of what Sentai liscenced and therefore beyond Manga's ability to obtain. Knowing Sentai they probably had HOTD liscenced before ep 1 even aired, well I exagerate but they definately had it done before the OAV as otherwise they'd of snagged it too.

I'm no expert but it seems like ViZ are the main culprits for starting but not finishing something.

Also popular online/in general doesn't always lead to good sales, thats why we didn't get the rest of the school rumble manga.

Back