Ponyo + Eva 1.0 at the Barbican

chaos

The Boss
The Barbican have now secured 4 exclusive previews of "Ponyo" ahead of its 2010 UK launch. A dubbed version of "Ponyo" will launch the <a href="http://www.barbican.org.uk/film/event-detail.asp?ID=9832">London Children's Film Festival</a> at its Opening Gala event this Saturday, and will be shown again on Sun 29th. Due to popular demand, a third SUBTITLED screening has now been added on Sat 28th.

Before this Thursday 26th sees the subtitled "Ponyo" head a special anime double bill, to be introduced by Helen McCarthy as part of our regular Japanimation series. Also featured will be "Mai Mai Miracle", from ex-Studio Ghibli animator Sunao Katabuchi.

<b>Japanimation in 2010</b>

Looking ahead to the new year, a whole new slate of films have been announced and should be available to book soon - All films will be introduced by anime expert and co-author of The Anime Encyclopedia, Helen McCarthy.

Tue 26 Jan 8.30pm
Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone (Evangelion Shin Gekijōban: Jo)
The first in the Evangelion film tetralogy. Hideaki Anno's faithful adaptation is a must-see for fans of the original anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion and a great introduction to the Evangelion universe for the uninitiated.

Japanimation events scheduled for February and March are David Bower's "Astro Boy", and Mamoru Oshii's (Ghosts in the Shell) "The Sky Crawlers" (Sukai kurora). More details to be announced soon.

I cant find any info on Eva on the barbican website, when searching for it or Japan. No movies are listed for the 26th Jan either.

Could you please provide a link to eva, might go to see it, though I guess it depends.

noodles said:
I cant find any info on Eva on the barbican website, when searching for it or Japan. No movies are listed for the 26th Jan either.

Could you please provide a link to eva, might go to see it, though I guess it depends.
Here. The Japanimation page will also have any further listings.

I probably won't be seeing 1.0 again. It's just too painful to watch with the contrast problem, especially after having seen 1.11 on BD.

ilmaestro said:
Oh, I'd never seen 1.0, just 1.01 and 1.11, so I didn't realize it was that bad. Or are you just being typical-anime-fan picky?

I saw 1.0 in the cinema and didn't notice any problems at all. I haven't seen the cleaned up blu-rays though. Yet.

R

1.0 (screened from 35mm stock) is fine.
1.0 (screened from DVD) has the horrible contrast problem. This was the version shown at Sci-Fi London.
1.01 (the version sold by Funimation) has the horrible contrast problem.
1.11 has the contrast issue fixed, as well as better colour balance, a HD release, and extra scenes.

Chatting with Helen after the Ponyo/Mai Mai Miracle screening this evening, they are at the whim of Manga Ent as to what they receive to screen, which almost guarantees it will be the DVD version of 1.0 with the contrast issue. Getting a hold of the single 35mm print with English subtitles would require quite some effort.

Ah, I figured you were saying it was worse than 1.01. Didn't stop me enjoying it at the time, but I haven't gone back and rewatched it since I got 1.11 (as you might expect).

EdZ said:
Chatting with Helen after the Ponyo/Mai Mai Miracle screening this evening...
Hi EdZ, were you sitting at row B? Hughes talked to some "Ed" guy there, I was sitting in row C12 for Ponyo and at row B11 for Mai Mai.

In any case, I was trully, trully impressed with Mai Mai Miracle. Myiazaki is consistently good and every so often he has the genius moments, I just thought that Ponyo wasn't a genius moment, althought it was a very good film.

Mai Mai miracle on the other hand, was a movie I've wanted to see simply because Madhouse works are usually good. Teh only thing I can say about this one is that I've left the cinema in awe.

BTW - it's interesting to notice how TV anime is disappointing recently, but aniem films are just getting better and better. Summer wars was also an amazing recent movie.

ilmaestro said:
chaos said:
In any case, I was trully, trully impressed with Mai Mai Miracle.
Awesome. :) Madhouse can do no wrong this year.
Now that you mentioned, Summer Wars was also a Madhouse film.
Ok, Madhouse is becoming my favourite studio really fast now....

The best anime films of the year are theirs, not to mention they are one of the few studios that actually made shows aimed at western audiences (black lagoon) rather than the usual moe that seems to be the only output these days.

Ponyo was amazing, as expected. Made up for Earthsea :)

Mai Mai miracle was also very good. Glad I stayed to watch it, even if I got home just before 1am.

Shame about the scratches on the Ponyo reel and the not quite readable from second to last row subs.

Interesting to see the same faces whenever you go to anime screenings :)

Project-2501 said:
Ponyo was amazing, as expected. Made up for Earthsea :)

Mai Mai miracle was also very good. Glad I stayed to watch it, even if I got home just before 1am.

Shame about the scratches on the Ponyo reel and the not quite readable from second to last row subs.

Interesting to see the same faces whenever you go to anime screenings :)
Very true. you didn't say hi again :p

Project-2501 said:
I think I'm going to skip Eva. Unless they can reassure everyone that its going to be a good version.
Plenty of people have watched and enjoyed the pre-1.11 DVD version of Eva, it's simply not the best version.

chaos said:
EdZ said:
Chatting with Helen after the Ponyo/Mai Mai Miracle screening this evening...
Hi EdZ, were you sitting at row B? Hughes talked to some "Ed" guy there, I was sitting in row C12 for Ponyo and at row B11 for Mai Mai.
Nope, I was waaay back in row J for Ponyo (and H for MaiMai Miracle).
The last thing I saw in cinema 3 at the Barbican was shown from DVD. You'd hope Eva will be on proper film.
That's actually a very good point: according to the Barbican's venue information, Cinema 3 doesn't even HAVE a film projector. If it changes to Cinema 1 or 2 (which do), I'll book my ticket sharpish.

Speaking of which, the listing for Sky Crawlers isn't up yet, but I wonder if they've gotten a hold of the 35mm print for that. It was at Sci-Fi London too (and almost hilariously grainy and scratched after being passed around so many festivals) but still looks second only to BD. Miles better than a DVD.

Back