pokemon

koddenaxy said:
and I rather enjoyed collecting all the little animals and naming them.
If there's another game with a similar premise you think is better
Can't help but think of:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sxCfxxeGhXA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sxCfxxeGhXA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Remember that the main aspect of Pokémon is also battling the Pokémon, not just having them and naming them.

As for what games to get, the Pokémon series is currently split up into five generations. In regards to games named after colours, only 3 of those five have that. Pokémon games are usually released in pairs, which are essentially the exact same game except for a few differences (such as certain Pokémon only being available in one of the pair). Up until Generation V, a "third version" would also be released later on that features some upgrades (what upgrades there are depends entirely on the game, but some of them include making certain Pokémon more easily available, adding new features and such).

NOTE: Only Generations IV and V are still readily available in shops.

Generation 1 (Gameboy):
Red Version and Blue Version
Yellow Version

Generation 2 (Gameboy Colour):
Gold Version and Silver Version
Crystal Version

Generation 3 (Gameboy Advance):
Ruby Version and Sapphire Version
FireRed Version and LeafGreen Version (Remakes of the original Red and Blue - which were called Red and Green in Japan, with some new elements).
Emerald Version (Ruby and Sapphire's third version).

Generation IV (Nintendo DS):
Diamond Version and Pearl Version
Platinum Version
HeartGold Version and SoulSilver Version (Remakes of Generation 2's Gold and Silver, with some elements from Crystal and new bits).

Generation V (Nintendo DS):
Black Version and White Version
Black Version 2 and White Version 2 (Sequels; due out in Japan this June and rest of the world in Autumn).

To be honest, if you're only now just looking into getting into the franchise, I would recommend you pick up a copy of Pokémon Black or Pokémon White Version. The games were designed to almost be a "reboot" of such, with the main story featuring nothing but new Pokémon and a plot that is arguably the best the Pokémon franchise has ever had. You can read up more about the pair here.

I would recommend you pick up a copy of Pokémon Black or Pokémon White Version. The games were designed to almost be a "reboot" of such, with the main story featuring nothing but new Pokémon

So...no...no Pikachu?? But Pikachu is Pokemon!

Seriously, though, Pokemon must be one of the best game formula's ever made. They will never lose their appeal (no matter how hard Nintendo pimp out the franchise to every form of merchandising imaginable) and will always make huge profits, considering the global appeal and the relatively low costs it must take to make them.

Pokemon I salute you!

Back