Pokémon tournament!

Mutsumi

Guild Member
I reckon enough of us would enter to make it worthwhile. :)

This thread is just a heads up on it though. Making a team takes time, so I want you all to have enough time to do so.

To keep it fair for everyone, including those who do not have the previous generation of games, or perhaps just no access to a second DS to trade between games with, I propose the following rules, though feel free to discuss them here.

Unova Pokémon only (National dex 494+)
No legendaries (this would include Victini)

All suggestions/comments welcome.

Sounds interesting so count me in :)

I already got half my team ready =)

The rules sound good but (don't read if you haven't beat the elite 4) some Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh pokemon can be caught in the games once you got the national dex

Last edited by a moderator:
Rena Ryuugu said:
Sounds interesting so count me in :)

I already got half my team ready =)

The rules sound good but (don't read if you haven't beat the elite 4) some Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh pokemon can be caught in the games once you got the national dex

Aye, but at the risk of otherwise having to have a complicated list of allowed/disallowed, Unova-only might be best.

Also, I think it would provide an interesting challenge, as many of us know which Pokémon are good from the previous generations, but the new ones are still new. :)

Also, probably worth having a rule of "no having more than one of the same Pokémon". Nobody wants to face a team of 6 Hydreigons.

Btw, I've just done the 7th gym. I'm not playing at a particularly speedy pace, so I figure that by the time my team is ready, most others will be close too. I'll post a rough date plenty in advance though. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and perhaps no more than one of each held item? This'd be the same as some of the battle rules in one of the battle modes already in the game.

I will agree to that rule and as for prizes I can give a Deoxys to the winner and a swift swim Poliwag(Swift swim is Poliwag's dreamworld ability and turns into drizzle if you evolve into a Politoed) for everyone who participates.

I have a shiny Voltorb I can offer up to the winner as well, once I transfer it over from SoulSilver.

Very soon, I will make a new thread to announce when I'll start taking teams. So that we don't have anyone waiting to see everyone elses teams to make theirs a counter for it, I'll take teams via PM, then post them all up on an assigned date. Only problem is I'll need to finalise my own team before I do that, so I can PM my own team to someone. I've also had one other idea I wish to include in this that, in my opinion, should be agreeable to all; the inclusion of a 'substitute' Pokémon. IE you submit a team of 7, but obviously can only use 6 at a time. Should encourage a bit of second-guessing, and prevent certain battles being one-sided by allowing a little more type coverage through having a pool of 7 from which to choose 6. Thoughts, anyone?

Stuart-says-yes said:
a 7 pokemon team doesn't sound too bad, it keeps things fresh with every round, so even if the opponent knows what team your going into battle with, you'll always have one surprise up your sleeve.

Exactly! It means that right until they've seen all six Pokémon you've brought against them, they cannot assume exactly what you have.

UPDATE!

One small problem... I was exploring the battle rules by testing them between my own white and black versions, and the rule that lowers all participant's levels to 50 also limits the number of participants to 3 in single battles, but still allows 6 in triple battles. Therefore we have 3 options:

1. We all get our teams to lv100.
2. We make it a triple battle.
3. We figure out some other way.

Personally, unless someone has access to a lot of rare candies, getting our teams to lv100 is going to be too time consuming for everyone, and I've no objection to triple battling, so that may be the easier option.

However, I would like to have a test battle with someone over wifi, just to see if the rules options are more flexible there than on wireless club room.

Edit: Tested in a wifi battle, and its the same. :/

So, lv100 singles, or a triple battle?

Back