Pokémon Voice Actress Maddie Blaustein Passes Away

ConanThe3rd

Railgun
It's been reported on ANN and Serebii.net that Maddie Blaustein, who is noted for providing the voice for Meowth for the greater majority of the first three pokemon generations and besides that has provided a great deal of voice work for other Pokemon and 4kids properites, has passed away on Tuseday at the age of 48.

Reports say she passed away in her sleap after a short bout of illness

On ANN, Michael "Leonardo, Gai, HoroHoro" Sinterniklaas was noted as saying: "We're deeply saddened by the loss of our friend, Maddie Blaustein. She was an incredible actress with unlimited range. She had recently started working for us as a writer as well. The community has lost a true talent and a great person."

Regardless of what your thoughts are on Pokemon and it's ilk, it's undinable that Pokemon was one of those "It" shows that brought a lot of people into the medium. Hence, I feel it's important that some respect is shown to one of the voice actors who helped anime to some degreee become as popular as it is today.

48 is rather young! That's sad to hear. I don't really like dubs, but her Meowth was very memorable and cute.

R

According to Wikipedia (I looked her up earlier nosily) she was actually transgender, which may be part of why she was able to talk like a male [cartoon monster cat] so convincingly in her performance. She was definitely the stand-out voice in that show for me.

She's apparently done quite a few male and female voice roles in her career so it was definitely something she went for. A lot of voice actors (both English and Japanese, to be topical) seem to stick to the same voice in a lot of their series. It seems she was one of the rarer ones who could adapt hers for the character.

R

It's horrble to have to hear a good entertainer have to die with possibly a lot more years to look forward to. Her voice stood out the most in Pokemon, and her acting with it was top notch.

Thanks for helping me love anime, Maddie. If it weren't for Pokemon and Meowth's voice, I wouldn't have loved anime as I do now.

RIP - honestly, this is the first time I've heard her voice, as I had gave up Pokemon long before moving here, so it was usually the japanese va or the equivalent brazilian one for me.

Funilly, he voice reminded me the brazilian voice over.

Ah, thats a shame really, i may not be the biggest fan of dubs, bar the odd few, but i think with Pokémon, i didn't really mind, mainly because i was at the kid at the time. Meowth did stand out, and was well done, so its a shame to see his english VA pass away. Rest in Peace is all i can say, and my condolences to her family.

Aion said:
I wonder which Pokemon hater wrote the name into his/her notebook...
This would've been been funny three years ago.

Also, R.I.P. she was pretty nice, answering peoples questions on Serebii and such.

Back