Planetes, been tempted for a long time.

Its cool it's about believing in your dreams and such like naruto in space with no fighting.........I hope this was helpful........

The ending twas interesting wasn't your typical ending which was good

Yes. Buy it, watch it, don't listen to Aion.

It's great if you like good characterisation, interesting and original storylines and humour which isn't too over the top. Oh, and it probably helps if you're interested in space travel but that isn't necessary to enjoy it. Very similar in feel to (though slightly more serious and subdued than) the Patlabor TV series, if you've ever seen that. Not that many people seem to have done, but I'll just throw that in there in the vain hope of getting some Planetes fans to watch it. ;)

^ What that man said.

It's a very good character-driven piece of hard sci-fi. Not one for action junkies but those who appreciate strong writing and thoughtful storytelling should find a lot to like. My only issue is with one of the lead characters, whose screechy idealism in the early part of the series I find incredibly grating. But your mileage may vary.

fabricatedlunatic said:
My only issue is with one of the lead characters, whose screechy idealism in the early part of the series I find incredibly grating. But your mileage may vary.
That was my gripe as well. The scenario was so highly realistic for an animated sci-fi that her attitude stuck out like a sore thumb. In a less plausible environment I might not have minded.

Cool sounds like its my bag. Being a fan of Patlabour, Gasaraki and other non 100% action series it sounds interesting.

I can get the series in two box sets for about £13 a pop, anyone know of cheaper? Or get it on blue ray?

It's been a while since I've seen it but I'd say check it out from what I remember. I was drawn into it because it had that low tech Sci-fi feel of movies like Outland or 2001. It's a slow burner series in many ways, mainly focusing on characterization than anything else but for me the series could have been shorter. Not because it was boring but because there were padded out episodes that seemed overly silly and kind of ruined the atmosphere. That's not too distracting though in the end.

If you don't mind importing you can pick up the whole series for about a tenner on one of Bandai's anime legends sets. EDIT: Scratch that, it's gone up considerably in price now.

Hokum said:
I can get the series in two box sets for about £13 a pop, anyone know of cheaper? Or get it on blue ray?
You can, but only the Japanese edition. Sadly, it's probably too niche to be brought to these shores. Even if I was willing to pay £300 for it, no subs is a further deal breaker. Thanks again Bandai for continuing to not bother putting English subs on blu-ray titles you already subtitled and released in standard definition. ¬_¬

I think £10 is a little optimistic for that R1 set now Sy. Back when it was two dollars to the pound yeah, but not now. You're looking closer to twenty. I'd go for the UK boxes if you can still get them for that price - nicer packaging.

ayase said:
I think £10 is a little optimistic for that R1 set now Sy. Back when it was two dollars to the pound yeah, but not now. You're looking closer to twenty. I'd go for the UK boxes if you can still get them for that price - nicer packaging.
I know, just looked it up. I'm glad I picked up most of those cheap anime legends sets when I did now. Must have saved a fortune.

DVD Pacific are selling it for £17.45 at today's exchange rate. Which puts it under the customs limit. You're not charged customs on postage.

http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=749143

You'll get the whole thing for around £20-ish all in.

You'll miss out an a smidge of the extra on the US collection. V1-3 were 2-disc sets which put all the extras on disc 2 along with some US exclusive NASA featurettes. The second discs were dropped for the Anime Legends Collection, so Volumes 1-3 will be lacking the Sound Comics and other additional featurettes that are available in the UK. However the audio commentaries are still there.

At that price though it's well worth it, and it's easily one of my favourite series.

Not really adding much here, but hey I'll second the positive comments on the series. It's strengths aren't immediately apparent (garbage collectors in space doesn't exactly sound riveting), but it's steady character development and more restrained take on civilisation in space actually give it an edge over more absurd sci-fi anime. Certainly one of my favourite recent shows.

It's a fantastic series as people have said.

However, there are certain scenes that need sign subs to give them the seriousness that they should have, and if you intend to watch the dub version then unfortunatly the Beez release only has them on the full subtitles track.

My husband has been watching this whilst I work nearby in the evenings lately and he's been enjoying it very much. It's a delight to see the touches of realism from a creator who plainly loves his subject matter. The over-enthusiasm hasn't really bothered me so far, though the more laid back characters are more interesting to watch.

R

This thread has certainly captured my interest. Definately adding this to the list of things to watch at some point in the future.

Great series, well worth a purchase, I agree with Ai Tanabes screachy idealism, really is overly done, but dont let it detract from a cracking series.

Outlawstar said:
Great series, well worth a purchase, I agree with Ai Tanabes screachy idealism, really is overly done, but dont let it detract from a cracking series.

you agree with people shooting eachother with love beams from their eyes? :D

Back