Picking your busy brains

Kiffsberg

Hikikomori
Hello there, AnimeUK peeps!

Good old Paul suggested I take a poke around and see what you have to say.

I manage shirt designs for GOTCAUGHT CLOTHING and would like to expand our range into the anime market. At the moment we cater to pop and sub-culture and I'd like Anime to be a part of it so I came to you. Lay it on me. We're open to anything.

Below's an advertisement with couple grabs of our current designs but I'd encourage you to check out the full range on our website, which is constantly changing:

teestestto0.gif

I'm looking to differenciate our range from that of designers such as Terratag so if you have any suggestions or requests, I'd love to hear them.

As far as T-shirt designs go you can't go wrong with Tenchi Muyo and Cowboy Bebop.

If the design and quality was upto scratch i'd consider purchasing some.

Using stylish art from the likes of Cowboy Bebop and possibly even Trigun would be a good start, also Gankutsuou and Kino's Journey. I do think there is good potential for anime-themed T-shirts, given the majority are basically poorly produced with pixelated JPEGs (sometime just screen caps?).

Id pretty much buy any t-shirt with elfen lied or air gear characters on it. There are a lot of people out there that like cowboy bebop but im not one of them :lol: I would not recomend using naruto. so many t-shirts have naruto on them its kind of boring. Trigun is also a great aime I would highly recomend using that.

If you do decide to use anything from elfen lied give me the heads up Im sure to buy some t-shirts off you :D

McIcy said:
Would love some decent Bleach T-shirts, Trigun, Tenchi, Cowboy bebop.

I agree with the bleach t-shirts but make sure you dont put all your designs on black t-shirts when ever I SEE AN ANIME T-SHIRT ITS BLACK AND IT REALY PISSES ME OFF.

Thanks, guys.

Appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming!

I'm gonna look into including some of those as reference but direct lifts can be a problem.

Most anime t-shirts have pics that start cracking after about 6 washes and look awful. How bout some 'smart' t-shirts, i.e collared ones with a small logo/words on the breast. You could have Logo's like Nerve or terra, or just show names. Though we are geeks we don't always want to dress like one.

Kiffsberg said:
Thanks, guys.

Appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming!

I'm gonna look into including some of those as reference but direct lifts can be a problem.

It depends on the styles you are offering, would they be big pictures small logos etc.

Theres a crapload to consider but if you need help, this is your place.

The only reason I don't buy anime t-shirts is because they're usually a plain colour baggy t-shirt with a huge, brightly coloured image that covers the whole of the front, which just screams 'DORK' and 'UGLY' to me. Just like band t-shirts that have all these intricate skull and rose designs on the front, it puts me off buying it completely.

Some trendy, simple shirts would be REALLY appreciated, such as a plain colour with just a small character printed on the breast or perhaps just on the back? All the anime shirts I've seen looks like no effort has been put into making them at all - just a screencap or garish image pasted on the front. D:

If you wanted to create some lovely anime inspired clothing, you should look at some of the themes from popular anime.

Popular themes such as the harem sceanario, as seen in such shows as Tenchi Muyo and Love Hina, with a young dude surrounded by any diferant types of crazy girlies all looking for his attention.

Terratag has the whole Gundam-esque mecha inspired stuff all suited up, but what about specific anime traits such big watery eyes, or the cute "chibi" super deformed look, it would be interesting to see such styles applied to modern pop culture, celebrities, films, politicians, such cuteness can hide social and popular messages with an interesting tangent of anime inspired style.

Not all about the boy either, the a whole fanbase and mass of anime and manga enthusiasts out there in "bisshounen" or "pretty boy" titles, such titles have a very unique appeal to them and work well with female consumers and such.

I blabber on...

Note that you would need to have a licence from the copyright holder in order to produce T-shirts featuring characters, etc., from existing anime and manga, and they probably don't come cheap. Otherwise you'd be producing bootleg goods, which is not a good thing.

You'd be better off finding some talented manga-style artists to create original characters for you (and paying them a one-off fee or commission on sales).

I too wouldn't wear the majority of anime T-shirts I've seen, as they are too geeky. I do have loads of Terratag Ts (not all giant robot designs), though, as they're much more stylish.

[Happosai]

Glad to hear it, guys!

One thing is certain and that's that GCC won't be carrying over-the-top, over complicated and garish designs. It's our belief that the best designs are understated, not screaming for attention like a cold, wet child.

As I've mentioned before, the designs will be reference, not direct lifts / graphics. We don't do 'bootlegs'. Our designers are independant and work on a quarterly commision basis, per t-shirt sold.

If any of you are interested in contributing, get in contact with me and we'll have chat. Probably the best place to start looking since you're already steeped in the material and we're all about new people starting out (cos that's what we are) rather than just sticking with established artists.

'd agree that you'd be better off keeping the designs simple and stylish. If you can keep them quite plain and smart, without over the top garish colours then you should be fine. I'd say however, most t-shirts with images mounted on them have this awful rough plasticy/rubbery feeling to the material that the image itself is printed into. If you could avoid that, perhaps by using a slightly higher quality backing, you're away.

As for actual anime suggestions... well, I haven't seen my tastes posted so far, so I think I'll keep quiet ^^;;.

Back