Patlabor (1989) - R1 REMASTER vs. R4

EvaUnit02

Completely Average High School Student
Patlabor (1989) - R1 REMASTER (2006, Bandai Visual/Image Ent) vs. R4 (2003, Madman)

No contest really, the R4 is unrestored 1.66:1 letterboxed NTSC-PAL junk, while the R1 is remastered 1.78:1 anamorphic progressive NTSC.

The 5.1 track on the R1 is fabulous. They also commissioned a new sub translation (and a new dub, if anyone cares).

They've totally cleaned the print for remaster.

Some background info on the 5.1:-
In 1999, Oshii reunited the cast members to re-record the dialogue for a Dolby Digital 5.1 channel remix. Additional music was also added by Kenji Kawai. The remastered version of this film, and "Patlabor 2 the movie", were re-released in Japanese cinemas, and later on the home video and DVD. (source)

R1
r1pat1-sub.jpg

R4
r4pat1-sub.jpg

R1
r1pat1-1.jpg

R4
r4pat1-1.jpg

R1
r1pat1-2.jpg

R4
r4pat1-2.jpg

R1
r1pat1-3.jpg

R4
r4pat1-3.jpg

R1
r1pat1-4.jpg

R4
r4pat1-4.jpg

R1
r1pat1-5.jpg

R4
r4pat1-5.jpg

R1
r1pat1-6.jpg

R4
r4pat1-6.jpg

Or you could buy the R2 version which has been out in the UK for months.

Also might I ask why on earth you are highlighting a battle between a R4 and R1 disc in the R2 zone? :?

Unfortunately the new remastered release in R1 and R2UK lack the original 2.0 stereo track. If fans want to hear the original audio track from 1989 then they need to import the R2J or R3 copy.

Fair enough but I must admit that I assumed it was, because, call me intolerant but this R1/NTSC thing is enough to make anyone say ‘rude’ things.

Ok, so it is anime related discussion of sorts but in my opinion it’s just going too far now. I like reading people's thoughts on anime and manga in terms of overall quality and enjoyment etc. Surely there are other forums for discussing the merits of different audio and visual systems?

butch-cassidy said:
Also might I ask why on earth you are highlighting a battle between a R4 and R1 disc in the R2 zone? :?
Cuz that's what I own. The R4 is a direct port-over of the old R2UK Manga Patlabor 1&2 set anyway.

You know that the Manga UK version is now out of print and we now have a new remastered version released by Beez though don't you?

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Why was my post deleted....?

Because like your subsequent post, it had nothing to do with the subject at hand and was just complaining about the fact that this is yet another RX vs RX debate.

I know it can be annoying - it annoys me too, but we stand for free speech here and as long as people are willing to engage in debate and not resort to petty remarks, I'm not going to start removing topics and banning users simply because someone don't like what they are saying. Besides you don't have to read a thread if you don't want to. I'm well aware that people are getting sick of the R1 superiority theme we've seen from some users over the last few days but a big part of coexisting means putting up with people and points of view that we don't necessarily agree with.

Fair enough, seems a bit ironic to delete my post while claiming to stand up for free speech though. You could have quoted me and said that rather than just delete my post.

Area88 said:
Unfortunately the new remastered release in R1 and R2UK lack the original 2.0 stereo track. If fans want to hear the original audio track from 1989 then they need to import the R2J or R3 copy.

I know man, I was so vexed after I bought this and started watching. The "sound renewal" soundtrack is so poor by comparison- I just don't know what they were thinking. I complained to Bandai but unsurprisingly they didn't get back to me.

Has anyone got a link to the R2J or R3 versions?

Not to bothered wether it's R1 or R2, the pics show they've done a good job with the remastering. As said, Beez have the UK release of Patlabor at the mo' and I'm hopping they see sense and release the remasterd version of Gunbuster over here.

Back