Overplayed Music

Will-O'-The-Wisp

Cardcaptor
Basically, this is about music that hit the mainstream years ago are still and recent songs played an awful lot today. In fact, some have been played that much, that it's killed the songs I used to love and I now I just find them plain annoying.

My main example is "Bring Me To Life" by Evanescense. Sure, it was a good song a couple of years ago, but now it makes me grind my teeth every God damn time I hear it, especially when played on someone's phone.

Some are fairly new, and yet get listened to/played way more than they should... Yes, "Rockstar" by Nickleback. The first few weeks of hearing this were great. Now, though, it's ridiculous.

So how about it? You guys know of any music that's been brutally raped by being over played?

Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars. Actually, all Snow Patrol. I don't listen to them, but their seemingly four songs are four songs that tend to always turn up on the radio in a car journey to somewhere.

Bleeding Love also got immensely overplayed. Hated it all the way through its life.

MGMT's 'Kids' gets played a lot. Only song I don't really listen to on the album.

I generally get annoyed with any old or new Lily Allen.

If they ever play Nirvana on the radio, it always has to be 'Smells like teen spirit'. Again, never listen to that on the album.

Hallelujah. God damn it was everywhere at one point. It was released as about 4 singles last christmas with most of them in the charts, it was all over the radio, playing in shops, out of earphones, mobile phones, televisions, tramps were humming it, they even managed to sneak it into Watchmen. Thankfully that phase seems to have all but faded away now but I swear if I hear that song again I may have to break some heads.

Anything by Nickel-*******-back. Couldn't get away from Chad Kroeger's voice no matter where I went when Spiderman came out because How You Remind Me and Hero were playing all the damn time at that period of time.

Maxon said:
Anything by Nickel-*******-back. Couldn't get away from Chad Kroeger's voice no matter where I went when Spiderman came out because How You Remind Me and Hero were playing all the damn time at that period of time.

Amen, brother. Not that he has a bad voice. It's just annoying hearing it all the time...

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
Maxon said:

Amen, brother. Not that he has a bad voice. It's just annoying hearing it all the time...

Yeah i agree, although i like the band but How you Remind Me, Hero and Rockstar were really overplayed beyond death, although a friend's mishearing made How you remind Me a bit more bearable. Instead of "at the bottom of every bottle" he once misheard it as "at the bottom of Fairy bottle" prompting fairly liquid jokes whenever the song came on.

Amercian Idiot was also another that got played way too much, even my g/f who loves Green Day dislikes that song now because of it.

The new Green Day album in its entirety appears to be played in every music shop at the moment too- it's doing my ******* head in.

RetroRainbow said:
Joy Division's 'Love Will Tear Us Apart',
Oasis' 'Wonderwall'.

I despise both of them so, so much right now.

just listening to love will tear us apart on the radio

yeah, its been played zillions of times, but its a pretty timeless song don't ya think?

just listen to heart radio...them bastards should be burnt at the stake for the aamount of songs they play 5+times a day.

Anything linked to a film normally gets over played. Like Born Slippy.

The main song that bugged me a few years back was Tub Thumping buy Chumbawamba. I liked them well before that and had seen them live, but that song really got to me and they lost some of my respect.

Dracos said:
The main song that bugged me a few years back was Tub Thumping buy Chumbawamba. I liked them well before that and had seen them live, but that song really got to me and they lost some of my respect.
The fact that it's an incredibly repetetive song doesn't help. Those are always the worst - You feel like you've listened to them three times already by the time you've heard it once.

Speaking of which, that friggin' American Boy song. That was so overplayed at the time that if I ever hear it again whoever is responsible will never be able to hear anything ever again.

On holiday if I had to hear Lady Gaga, the black eyed peas, the song that won eurovision and a few other songs again I was going to go insane! Seriously it was the same 7 songs everyday all day long..

JamesX, I know what you mean about Lady GaGa. I'm so sick of Poker Face. Also, anyone remember Amarillo? That was everywhere at one point... it was being sung on buses, in the street, just everywhere.

Sex on Fire by Kings of Leon is massively overplayed

it's kinda the only song they're known for! Rockstar by Nickleback is another example, i have Silver Side Up and that's a fantastic album, but most of their "fans" have only really heard of Rockstar! bloody ridiculous!

Back