Othello is Tanoshimi's otaku choice for the UK

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
At the beginning of February, UK manga publishers Tanoshimi asked their website visitors ("Otaku Choice") to vote in a poll for what series they should release next. The results are out now and some 800 votes later, the clear winner was Othello with 268 votes, followed by Wallflower (213), Kagetora (125) and finally Genshiken (111).

It's fairly disappointing to see how badly Genshiken got on. Had I known it would score so low we could have run a campaign or something. What a shame.

I think it is more likely that existing Genshiken fans are already heavily invested in importing US Del Rey titles. Notice that the Wallflower, the other heavily popular title in that list didn't top the heap.

With overall numbers that small in the poll (the most surprising thing really) you cannot discount the effects of importing in that selection process.

I'm a bit disappointed, but I can sort of see why - Genshiken's humour can be a bit hit-and-miss if you're not familiar with the ins and outs of Japanese otaku culture.

Still, I hope it gets a release some time in the future - the very fact it was considered shows that the possibility is there.

Back