Oshii encourages Goro Miyazaki to succeed

ConcreteBadger said:
If that means we agree to disagree that's cool with me! No hard feeling I hope. :) Nietzsche had some very interesting and insightful ideas - funny you should mention him since I was talking about his theories with some friends of mine this evening.

Nietzsche is without doubt one of the best, although to understand you really need to read it more than once. A forerunner to existentialism which in my own opinion is one of only two philosophies worth talking about, the only being Marxism.

ConcreteBadger said:
Oshii (back on topic a little) is himself into philosophy but sometimes it seems to get in the way of the story at times. GitS 2 is ahead of its time and all but I felt that it was a vehicle for his own ideas and musings. A great film overall but very different to the Ghibli stuff.

I wouldn't say it gets in the way of the story, after all isn't the story only the mechanism to get the philosophy across to the masses? As far as i'm concerned all writing and creative work is a vehicle for thought and ideas whether that be deep philosophy or simple opinions of the world. GitS 2 is a very fine move and my personal favourite but i will admit that it doesn't work simply as a piece of entertainment. I guess thats why people like the Ghibli films, there more able to fit into the catagory of entertainment.

kupoartist said:
KDS is the single most precisely demographically targetted Ghibli film. You fall far outside that demographic. No-one goes out of their way to shove KDS down people's throats, and the praise it recieves is rather conservative at best. Even if you did like it, you would tell yourself you hated it because a guy liking Kiki's Delivery Service is anime's equivilent of a guy liking Dirty Dancing or Pretty Woman. Some guys can look past the girl-factor in the film and enjoy it, but they are a minority. The first person to suggest that KDS is a poor film simply because it is a femininely targetted one recieves a quick virtual kick in the balls. It's just not for you!

Whoa! Turn it down a notch. :lol:

Personally, I feel there are some very universal themes in all the Ghibli movies I've seen. I mean, I loved "Whisper of the Heart", and so have all the people I've shown it to, and that's something you could call 'female demographic' quite easily. Same with "Kiki's Delivery Service", and you could probably also count "Spirited Away" in there as well. I think it's unfair really to say the films are just 'girls' films or 'boys' films. Central themes in all three films are about growing up and maturing as a person, which is something I feel that most people can relate to. It's also why I'm really looking forward to "Only Yesterday".

It's quite possible that 'teh bloke' simply doesn't like it because he doesn't like it. Tastes DO differ, quite outside the range of gender preferences. I mean, the first time I watched Spirited Away, I thought it was overhyped and I didn't really like it at all. When I watched it a 2nd time and just let the movie wash over me, I thought it was really awesome and have liked it since.

There's no need to say that the reason he doesn't like it is because he's male. I think that's unfair, it's just dismissing his opinion outright as a gender issue.

Ramen89 said:
I expected Kiki's stay in the town to be a short stop off point where she would go onto somewhere actually interesting, but she stayed in the same boring town with the same boring characters for the entirity of the boring film, and a wise cracking Cat? Never seen one of them before.

I thought Kiki was a pretty boring movie the first time I watched it, but - for some unknown reason - it was 10x as good the second time round! :)

Back