Oscar nominations snub Paprika in favour of Penguins

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
As expected - the Oscar nominations were announced on Tuesday night and no anime made the final cut. Hopes were high that Satoshi Kon's well received sci-fi thriller Paprika would earn a nomination for best animated film, but in the end that honor has gone to a bunch of talking cars and dancing penguins (Cars, Happy Feet, and Monster House).

cornixt said:
Only three nominations? Nearly all the other categories have five.
Theres only ever three nominations for the Best Animated film, probably because there isn't such a large amount of them released every year.
Still as for whats actually been nominated, i guess you can't expect much different, what Epsy said is true. Cars and Happy Feet were alright films, nothing amazing, but enjoyable enough (Happy Feet did have some great effects). But Monster House in my opinion was very poor, i couldn't stand the way it looked, and i was so bored i almost fell asleep, i don't give a damn if Spielberg was involved

Lupus Inu said:
I'm fawking sick of CGI movies which are only good because they have an "All star cast" Please die.
I demand the return of 2D animated movies with actual good scripts.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Lupus Inu said:
I'm fawking sick of CGI movies which are only good because they have an "All star cast" Please die.

Word.

Every CGI movie that isn't a Pixar film or Shrek nowadays is either trying to rip off Pixar films or Shrek.

They're shooting themselved in the foot really...

Think about how many anime fans would have tuned in, just to see and support an anime clip on prime time TV.

adamcube said:
They're shooting themselved in the foot really...

Think about how many anime fans would have tuned in, just to see and support an anime clip on prime time TV.

...Was that sarcastic?

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Oscars are a waste of time.

Indeed. If you look at how many films / movies are released world wide from all territories the year over, how many of them have fine actors, actresses, stories, screenplays, scores, effects, art direction etc. which don't get any recognition whatsoever, deserving or not.

Still, Academy Awards are good for one thing - publicity and, ultimately, sales. And in that regards a nomination for an animè film such as Paprika wouldn't harm the whole animè scene whatsoever because it, yet again, proves that animation is more than just about talking animals and / or inanimate (get it?!) objects!

Perhaps certain people in certain countries make a deliberate effort for animation never to be percieved in any other way apart from the stapled stereotypes? I mean, I remember when Steamboy: Director's Cut on DVD was being reviewed in The Mail On Sunday's magazine Night & Day the reviewer even wrote that "...he didn't get the point of adult orientated animation...".

If people have defences like that up what can be done? :evil:

Anyway, thought I'd share that.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Lupus Inu said:
Me too, but i think those days are lost. It's sad, theres only so much you can take of the same thing with the same style over and over again.
I'm looking forward to the new Shrek, but in truth i wonder if now they are beginning to just bring them out for the sake of it, i didn't think a great deal of the trailer i saw at the cinema the other day.
CGI movies are really nice appearance wise, but most of my favourite animated movies are still the old Disney movies and the like

CGI movies were nice when it was 1/10 of them, now it's like 10:1 on that a new CGI movie will come out and not an live-action movie.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Lupus Inu said:

Agreed. CGI is so 'throwaway' IMO.

Why can't they make animated kids films like 'The Secret of NIMH' again? :)

Lupus Inu said:
CGI movies were nice when it was 1/10 of them, now it's like 10:1 on that a new CGI movie will come out and not an live-action movie.

I agree here. I don't think there's anything wrong with a CGI film myself (I like digital animation as much as traditional styled animation), but its the quantity in which they are now released and the way hand-drawn efforts seem to be becoming phased out.

I think if the situation was vice-a-versa it would be just as bad.

I personally think there needs to be balance between the two myself, as variety would be nice.

Still, at least The Simpsons movie is going to be 2D eh? :wink: :lol:

Back