Osamu Tezuka Season at the London Barbican

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<a href="http://www.otakunews.com/article.php?story=1326 ">Otaku News has posted a press release</a> from the British Film Institute announcing their <em><strong>Osamu Tezuka Season</strong></em> at the London Barbican theater, which is set to run from Thursday 18th September to Wednesday 24th of September. Of course, Osamu Tezuka is widely accepted as the "god of manga", with his many works, from Astro Boy to Metropolis, often being revisited some 15+ years after his death by anime and manga fans alike. Tezuka's anime screenings will include 1970's <em>Cleopatra</em>, 1981's <em>Fantastic Adventures of Unico</em>, 1966's <em>Jungle Emperor Leo</em> and 1980's <em>Phoenix 2772 - Space Firebird</em>.

Cleopatra was not a hentai :p

Aww, I'm so gutted that I won't be able to go to see this. I adore Osamu Tezuka so much and I'd love to see some of his anime :/

How come there isn't more interest in this? It's Osamu Tezuka for cryin' out lout! ;]

Maltos said:
Because his work doesnt interest me.

So there's nothing Osamu Tezuka has done that interests you? Tezuka essentially invented every single genre we have today (shojo, seinen, shonen, horror, psychological drama, biographies of famous people, sci fi, historical works etc.), and he created more than 170,000 pages of work in his lifetime so I'm pretty sure you could find something that interests you :p

CitizenGeek said:
Maltos said:

So there's nothing Osamu Tezuka has done that interests you? Tezuka essentially invented every single genre we have today (shojo, seinen, shonen, horror, psychological drama, biographies of famous people, sci fi, historical works etc.), and he created more than 170,000 pages of work in his lifetime so I'm pretty sure you could find something that interests you :p

Might be giving him a little too much credit there CG. He's certainly produced an amazing volume of work, but I'm pretty sure those genres existed before. It's fairer to say he has worked within all of those genres.

CitizenGeek said:
Maltos said:
Well to be quite honest i havnt tried to look very deeply into his volume of work. Buddha is one that i wouldnt mind getting hold of at some point but its not high on the list.
But moreso it is the art that doesnt grab me. Not to say that it isnt good, just that is style [from what i've seen] isnt really that appealing to me.

Seeing as your quite knowledgable on the man, do you know of any slice of life style mangas he's done?

ayase said:
Might be giving him a little too much credit there CG. He's certainly produced an amazing volume of work, but I'm pretty sure those genres existed before. It's fairer to say he has worked within all of those genres.

No, I'm pretty sure they didn't. Manga didn't really exist before Osamu Tezuka, so he more or less did invent many genres. I didn't mean to imply that he invented "sci-fi" or "horror", but he was the first to apply those to Japanese comics. That's what I meant to say.

Maltos said:
Seeing as your quite knowledgable on the man, do you know of any slice of life style mangas he's done?

Well, I haven't personally read them (but it's a good bet that they are probably great, Tezuka only produced two or three manga that would be considered 'bad'), but Diary of Ma-Chan and The Film Lives On are two examples of slice of life manga from Tezuka. Neither have been released in English, though :/

CitizenGeek said:
Cleopatra was not a hentai :p
Are you sure? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065588/releaseinfo#akas ;P

ayase said:
CitizenGeek said:
Maltos said:

Actually, CG might be right. He is the one who invented anime itself and the first mangaka to use sequential stories on manga. Astro boy can be considered the first shonen / sci-fi, the first shoujo is considered to be Princess knight, I'm unsure of the other genres. can you back that up CG?

I'll admit a certain biased vision though...

bumping this thread... I've got tickets for:
Phoenix 2772 / Space Firebird (PG)
20 Sep 2008 / 6:00pm / Cinema One
F20
The Phoenix: Chapter of Dawn (PG)
20 Sep 2008 / 8:30pm / Cinema One
F20
Fantastic Adventures of Unico 1 (PG)
21 Sep 2008 / 1:45pm / Cinema One
E9
The Lion Books (12A)
21 Sep 2008 / 3:45pm / Cinema One
E9
Prime Rose (12A)
22 Sep 2008 / 6:00pm / Cinema One
E10

Will I see anyone else there?

I saw the short films showcase last night and it was really good. So good in fact that I just ordered the DVD of them from Australia... @_@;

They were kinda like arthouse films, so no typical 'anime' styles going on there but all kinds of cool random stuff. Tezuka's love for Disney and other early animation really showed in a few of them. A couple of Fantasia-esque moments worked well as the music was really good. Glad I went. :D

Wow this completely went over my head. There's no way I'll be able to get down there to see these now. Oh well. And they're in the nice cinema 1 too, I guess they expect to have a large audience. Cinema 2 was atrocious for comfort. I went to see The Girl Who Leapt Through Time at the ICA yesterday evening (huge lol at the subtitles being so American "you didn't jerk off this morning, huh ...", there was something else stupid like that too) - that blew me away. I'm sure these anime will come out on Blu-ray at some point in some kind of Tezuka boxset anyway...

melonpan said:
I went to see The Girl Who Leapt Through Time at the ICA yesterday evening (huge lol at the subtitles being so American "you didn't jerk off this morning, huh ...", there was something else stupid like that too)
::head meets wall::

And here I thought the days of the translators altering or just making up the English translation were gone. Even more glad I have my R3 HK copy now. :(

Double post time.
I've meant to say a bit more about these movies earlier, but life and work got in the way, so... here goes nothing:

Phoenix 2772 / Space Firebird - 8/10
Wonderful Sci-fi fantasy.
The beginning felt a it hushed, with loads to happening, but very little explanation. The setting is a apocalyptical future, where earth's resources have all been used up and the planet is dying. They need to find the Phoenix to use its powers an revive the earth.

The Phoenix: Chapter of Dawn - 7/10
Live action of a Tezuka story... I though that the ending was particularly great.
During the warring era of Japan, a witch queen seeks immortality by drinking the Phoenix blood. For that goal, she start war against neighbor countries. In the meantime, a much stronger conqueror makes his moves.

Fantastic Adventures of Unico 1 - 9/10
Lovely fantasy about an unicorn who can make people happy... Cheesy, childish, but still gives you such an heart warming feeling and the end let you half heart broken.
Unico is a unicorn baby which was born with an unique power. He can make those around him become happy. The gods that believed that they only had the right to decide who would be happy or not, becomes envious of Unico and separates him from his family.
While running from the wrath of the gods, Unico meets Beezle a devil of solitude and Katy a kitty who wants to become a witch.

The Lion Books - 10/10
Lunn, rain boy and adachi-ga hara are very powerful stories. the other ones are good as well, but lunn is so heart warming, and somehow felt so personal to me. Rain boy got me in tears at some point and adachi-ga hara had an amazingly unexpected ending.
Lion books is one of the best movies I've seen year. The best anime I've seen this year definitely and one of the best things I've watched this year.
Lion books ismade of 5 short stories
1 The Green Cat 1983
A story about a green cat who can make its owner reach success through dodgy ways.
2 Rain Boy 1983
Heart warming story of a boy with no friends who manages to become friends with Rain boy, the spirit of forgotten umbrellas.
3 Lunn Flies into the Wind 1985
A boy passes by a poster and decides to find the girl in the poster. Simple like that.
4 Adachi-ga Hara 1991
Scifi fantasy about a space pilot who meets a cannibal witch he must exterminate.
5 Akuemon 1993
A fox decides to start living with a fox hunter in order to let her comrades know when they will start hunting next.

Prime Rose - 6/10 - fun, but.... well, guess that's all I can say bout it.
Prime Rose is the story about two cities that are sent to the future and made into a giant show where each city needs to fight the other.
A special police force responsible for taking action in such cases is assigned to investigate the case and destroy the culprit, death mask, a sentient weapon.

Ushio said:
I saw the short films showcase last night and it was really good. So good in fact that I just ordered the DVD of them from Australia... @_@;
Mind if I ask you for a link?

chaos said:
Ushio said:
Mind if I ask you for a link?
Oh, sorry dude I've not been on here for a little while. Linky:
http://www.madman.com.au/actions/catalo ... ethod=view

Might be worth bearing in mind that this is more a mix of 'arthouse' styles than typical 'anime', some of it's pretty experimental but they screened about two thrids of that disc on that night and what I saw I liked muchly. :D

Back