Original English-language manga

Ian Wolf

Harem King
AUKN Staff
Does anyone here have a fondness for original English-language manga? I've read a few. So far I've read a few of the "Manga Shakespeares" published by Self Made Hero, namely Twelfth Night by Nana Li, and Hamlet and Much Ado About Nothing by Emma Vieceli.

Also, for anyone keen on fan service, there is a Canadian manga webcomic called Demon Candy: Parallel which is about fetishism. Volume 2 of the "dead tree edition" has just been published.

I don't dislike them in principle but so far most of the ones I have seen tend to copy the superficial elements of manga without any of the elements I actually like to read it for in the first place. They also generally tend to be set in schools or other conventional environments (even more so than Japanese manga, somehow). I tend to steer clear.

The only one I have read recently which I did like was Fish+Chocolate. It wasn't marketed as an OEL manga at all (and was in full colour), but the artist had a similar aesthetic sense which set it aside from most western comics, and it's strangely unusual to see western artists do something with a josei feel. Perhaps saying I enjoyed it isn't quite right, as it definitely had dark themes, but it was a worthy purchase and sits on my shelf.

It's my personal opinion that a lot of the stuff marketed as OEL manga are just regular comics where they have latched on to a trendy label to sell more to the manga-buying demographic. The really good stuff stands on its own without a need to label itself as something else.

R

Without wishing to slight the creators who obviously do put the time and effort into these things, I agree with Rui. To call an English language comic or graphic novel 'manga' is just bandwagon-jumping on the part of the marketing department.

From what I hear, the publishing deal offered by Tokyopop (who I think were the first to really tap into the market this way) to their 'OEL' creators was pretty rotten into the bargain. While I suppose you might ask whether the writers and artists would achieve the same level of exposure otherwise, I can't help feeling the whole concept is just forcing them to limit their style and earn less in exchange for being able to slap the word 'manga' on the cover.

And that's the high horse I'm staying on until someone offers me a (decent) paycheque to draw them a 'manga'.
emotughh.gif

My older brother really likes Yonen Buzz (well, that's Original German Manga xD). The only one I can recall reading though is the Manga Shakespeare version of Othello (in particular, the character design of Iago is badass). I saw a signed copy of A Midsummer's Night Dream (I think it was) in my Borders (yes it was that long ago), as apparently the artist is local, but I was skint.

But yeah, as Prof. Irony said, I hear Tokyopop's contract was pretty bad.

I can see why people would feel that OEL Manga isn't manga, especially as for most of them, it's only the art-style that's borrowed - the cultural details are different (and honestly, it's more interesting watching foreign-made things due to the cultural differences). Hell, with my writing I outright acknowledge that I was inspired by light novels and that during the first drafts my style was practically the same (it's only as I've matured as a writer that I've gained my own style). Would I say it's a light novel though? No - I'd say I was influenced by them, but I wouldn't say it is one.

Joshawott said:
My older brother really likes Yonen Buzz (well, that's Original German Manga xD).

In terms of original German manga, I did read "Gothic Sports". It was alright, but not brilliant.

On the point Joshawott made, I think that's one of the things which bug me most about OEL manga series; the artists try to copy a general 'manga' visual style (usually some blend of CLAMP/Toriyama and whatever the popular series of the year was), when real manga comes in all different kinds of styles from abstract to almost photorealistic. This makes a lot of OEL manga look generic and poor quality, even if the artist is actually quite skilled normally.

Also, a common issue unique to American OEL manga in particular seem to be basing the art on anime art, rather than manga, so instead of the experimental use of tone and effects that manga is known for, the end result is more like very simple line art. This is particularly glaring on covers, fortunately.

R

At least in the '90s they had the decency to call such releases by another name, pseudo-manga. I got the western version of the Dirty Pair by Smith & Warren. The stuff put out by Tokyopop was rubbish though. I flicked through the odd release and none impressed me. It just seemed like it was piggybacking on the success of manga.

There are few things in the world that I should be able to ignore as easily as I should be able to ignore "OEL" "manga" and yet still get as annoyed by.

Read "Demon Candy: Parallel" Volume 2 yesterday. I think it is certainly one of the better OELM out there, mainly due to the fact it isn't being organised or published by a huge publisher like Tokyopop.

Instead it is just a plain and simple webcomic in the yonkoma style, done basically for free on DeviantArt, and self-published via Lulu. Thus the creator has greater artisitic freedom.

Genkina Hito said:
I started reading Bizenghast http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizenghast but didn't continue past volume 2.
"Several adaptations of Bizenghast have been released, including a novel by Shawn Thorgersen, animated episodes, and a tabletop roleplaying game. Critics praised Bizenghast for the gothic atmosphere and art, but noted the traditional elements and varying quality of the series."

Quite literal disbelief.

The only OEM, well Original polish Manga to be more specific, that I read is The Reids, and even then that's not been updated for 2 years.

The earlier Darken chapters are very manga inspired art wise, but it's super rough and to be fair, looks a bit crap comapred to later chapters. I guess RPG World (I think that's the name) could be counted as OEM?

ilmaestro said:
Genkina Hito said:
I started reading Bizenghast http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizenghast but didn't continue past volume 2.
"Several adaptations of Bizenghast have been released, including a novel by Shawn Thorgersen, animated episodes, and a tabletop roleplaying game. Critics praised Bizenghast for the gothic atmosphere and art, but noted the traditional elements and varying quality of the series."

Quite literal disbelief.

I'm just as surprised by all of the associated media but I can see how it might work.

Off*Beat by Jen Lee Quick is one of the few OEL manga that I really enjoyed. Such a shame Tokyopop never released the 3rd (and final) volume - and that was long before they went under :(

Jen is hoping to get vol 3 released at some point in the future, once all the legal and licensing wrangles are sorted out.

I have read The Dreaming, which was one Tokyopop published. It's by an Australian, and it's a horror story set at a creepy boarding school in the bush. It was pretty well done and the art was fairly solid too.

I actually have The Dreaming sitting in my cupboard for ages, but haven't got to read it yet.
I enjoyed Dramacon, but mainly because I saw a little of my own personal history on the chinese girl in it, in regards to parents relationships.
I do get all the Sweatdrop studios compilations and a book or another, if the art / synopsis interests me.

Back