Original Dirty Pair TV series licensed

Yup, 'tis true.

I look at some of the newer shows around now, with their sumptuous colours and Dolby surround soundtracks, and I weep for the awesome quality of things past...

HdE said:
Ayase - it appears with your every post that you and I are on the same wavelength. 'Awesome 80s visuals' - weren't they just?

I just had a discussion with somebody who was arguing that animation looks much better now than it ever has. I really disagree, Everything looked so much more fluid and graceful in the '80s. I despair of the prevalence of shows now using static images, 'cardboard cut-out' elements and jarring CG.

You just gave me another reason to pick this up, dude!
Hey, more people with style and taste are always welcome around here. ;)

Make sure you do pick it up. But you get Yuri. Kei is m... I mean I am Kei's.

A lot will depend on RightStuf's site security.

But I'm a total junkie for anime. I reckon it'll happen.

HdE said:
A lot will depend on RightStuf's site security.

But I'm a total junkie for anime. I reckon it'll happen.
After you've jumped through those hoops, Rightstuf is great.

HdE said:
I just had a discussion with somebody who was arguing that animation looks much better now than it ever has. I really disagree, Everything looked so much more fluid and graceful in the '80s. I despair of the prevalence of shows now using static images, 'cardboard cut-out' elements and jarring CG.
Couldn't agree more! I pre-ordered both boxsets an hour after they were announced.

MIBlackburn_d6 said:
After you've jumped through those hoops, Rightstuf is great.

Hoops, you say?

I'm a confirmed technophobe. I'd appreciate any explanation or guidance you could offer me via PM. :)

You need to send them photographic proof that the credit card you're using belongs to you.

Some people feel this is a breach of their 'privacy' :roll:

Olio8O said:
why do America get the old shows instead of us!? THERE IS A MARKET FOR THEM!!!!
A small one. Perhaps too small for the required licence costs. My hope to see VOTOMS within these shores remains slim.

I might be able to accept Right Stuf's security requirements, provided the secure link for uploading scans is so secure that omitting one line of data (as they permit) isn't necessary.
However, they only ship to billing addresses for international customers. Their appeal in the eyes of the non-US student market is thus limited.

Project-2501 said:
You need to send them photographic proof that the credit card you're using belongs to you.

Certainly seems unusual.

Project-2501 said:
I feel like it's a breach of the fact that it's 2010, not 2002. There's no need for it, as evidenced by all the places that don't require it.

We shouldn't really apply to this but they've been burnt by international customers getting the money back as well as the anime before apparently.

I was cautious about it but after hearing about other people from the UK on a few forums using them and not having any problems, so I did it and now get most of my R1 anime from now, especially with DVD Pacific going. You can get some great dirt cheap DVDs from their bargain bin and they have sales all the time, pre-ordered Dirty Pair from them for $66 delivered while in their studio sale.

Very small, especially if you keep it at five items tops per shipment, they sometimes combine orders so make sure they ship an order before you place another one.

It all sounds good to me so far!

On the subject of customs charges, I just ordered Gundam Wing in two R1 box sets from two different retailers on Amazon. both will come in about £5.00 over the £18.00 customs limit.

Having had some argy with Royal Mail over their disgusting policy of slapping £8.00 'handling' fees on deliveries incurring customs charges.

I don't wanna derail this thread, but I'll be very interested to hear from any of you (perhaps via PM) who have had this problem. Different folks tell me different things about the charge - it's avoidable, it's illegal, it's legal, etc.

I'd like to get to the absolute facts of this so that I can inform others.

Well, like I say, I'm trying to get to the heart of that particular matter. If anyone has any input, PM me and I'll build my dossier...

Back