Onegai Teacher - Please Teacher

Nyu

Pokémon Master
Haven't seen a thread on this in a while and i feel it's time to give it a little jumpstart. So first things first, has anyone else seen Onegai Teacher? What were your thoughts? likes/dislikes? No doubt there are going to be spoilers so please use the tags.

Plot Summary: Kusanagi Kei, a high-school student living with his aunt and uncle, has an encounter with a female alien. This alien is revealed to be a new teacher at his school. Later, he is forced to marry this alien to preserve her secrets. From there, various romantically-inclined problems crop up repeatedly.

My thoughts; Onegai Teacher for me is one of the best examples that a good story can defeat some of the major hurdles that most anime these days have to jump. If anyone has seen the delightful and heartwarming show REC you will instantly be able to connect with Onegai Teacher.

At first i thought i wouldn't like O.T. I've seen plenty of shows before billed with fantasy scenario's such as aliens etc and any attempt at a romantic story is taken over by big boys toys and the fantasy runs wild. Not to say that is a bad thing, but when your main show is billed as a romantic show and the fantasy takes 95% of the story and screen then i'm not impressed. Thankfully all these preconceptions were set aside after the first episode.

The story is well written and the characters, while on paper you think "not again", actually turn out to be believable and the connections between viewer and character begin. This is what i seen in REC and it's repeated in O.T. If a real person was in some of the situations these guys were in, they would react this way. The characters feel sincere and genuine and a good script boosts this along, mix this in with a decent performance from the original VA cast *note - i couldn't watch the dub, it was generic and lacked feeling* and the characters take on an extra edge.

The comedy on the other hand is well written and mixes with the story. If this show wants to be funny it can be, if it wants to take a more serious note it will. Sometimes you'll get a mixture of both, end of episode 7 for example if you've seen the show. Marie is an excellent form of comic relief as the shows cute sidekick. The comedy is in context and written into the story, thankfully it isn't slapstick and it doesn't insult you.

However it isn't all sunshine and lollypops. All the effort that has gone into the story and script has left other areas of the show feeling somewhat lackluster and a step behind when compared to the story. The character designs for the two main characters are well done but on the whole there is nothing really that stands out between this cast of characters and the lineup in any other romantic anime.

The music falls under the same fate. While the opening song is good and a valid representation of the series as a whole the rest of the soundtrack fails to inspire. Sometimes it can add to a scene or scenario but i'm going to strike that down to coincidence rather than a great soundtrack. Animation is decent but nothing that will make me think "You know what had great, detailed and flowing animation" because it isn't going to happen.

Onegai Teacher is a show where story is king. It made me laugh and i could see the connection between the characters and the sitatuions they find themselves in could actually happen in real life.

Well reading over it is seems more like a review :lol: but i guess i'll save the spoilers for another post. So guys, your thoughts?

One of my all time favourite animes I loved this series, the story is brilliant and made me laugh throughout.

I especially liked the idea that both he and one of his class mates had suffered from the same fate of 'stopping'.

Have to also give respect to the sequel Onegai Twins especially as Kusanagi and his 'wife' turn up in that one too in cameo style roles.

Personally I thought this series could range from decent to poor but as far as it goes it was overall pretty poor. The sequel was just abysmal and I dropped it at the end of disk 3. Not my kind of show and the sequel with it's 'well it might be incest... but meh' was even less something I could be bothered watching.

I've heard Onegai Twins was supposed to be a disgrace, but i'll have to check it out myself sometime soon.

Loved this series and i also watched Onegai twins, which was good but i dont think it was as good as Onegai Teacher.

Taylor said:
Loved this series and i also watched Onegai twins, which was good but i dont think it was as good as Onegai Teacher.

True teacher was far superior to twins, how ever the Onegain Twins special is far superior to the Onegai Teacher special so in a way it all kinda evens out :?

I loved Onegai Teacher, it's one of my all time favourites x]
I never did get round to seeing Onegai Twins though, I didn't think it was really connected, but Kei and Mizuho make an apperance in it, huh?

Sami said:
I loved Onegai Teacher, it's one of my all time favourites x]
I never did get round to seeing Onegai Twins though, I didn't think it was really connected, but Kei and Mizuho make an apperance in it, huh?

Yeah as Mizuho is there teacher and whenever she mentions her husband it cuts to Kei sneezing (always makes me laugh when I see this scene). Also the quiet young girl from Onegai Teacher is friends with the twins in Onegai Twins

I loved this anime it was one of the 1st i ever watched and im glad i did. The stopping was a great touch in the anime. I have to say that i do prefer Onegai teacher than Onegai twins. I was surprised when I watched Onegai twins because i thought it was going to be a continuence of Onegai teacher but i was greatly disapointed :( But Onegai twins is still a great anime just not as good as Onegai teacher

I loved it. I can't be bothered with typing out the same opinion everytime, so I'm just going to link to my blog, or copy and paste from it another time.
WTFDaveMustaine said:
The sequel was just abysmal and I dropped it at the end of disk 3.
Onegai Twins is not a sequel. It's a side story.

Back