One thing that annoys me about collecting manga

Neferpitou

Stand User
When you want to start collecting a new manga series you find that a few or just one volume are out of stock everywhere and essential out of print. Also then you get some greed vulture who happens to have the said volumes and they charge several time the price.

I don't understand why manga publishers leave certain titles out of print for such long periods, once a title goes out of print it should be a priority to prints some more off. As out of print volumes is going to put off a lot of buyers collecting a particular manga series.

I think if we had the figures of how most manga actually sells (i.e. not the big names), we'd be less surprised. You only have to look at high-street shops tendency to stock only the first few volumes of most series to know that stocking manga is a difficult and probably not very rewarding game of chance.

That's why I paniced when I heard "A.I. Love You" was going out of print. I got up to volume 4, then I had other manga to collect that was coming out, shelving the mentioned series. So now that I heard it's out of print, I went straight to the online shops (The Book Depository) and bought them (said it's still in stock I think, but they haven't posted anything yet).

I also has times where I'm collecting a manga (not so well known, like "Kiss me, Kill me") and when it gets to a climax for the next volume... The whole bloody series is closed down, leaving an unfinished series on my shelf. It's happened at least twice now. Now I have doubts on Kieli...

ilmaestro said:
Actually I find that often shops will have a lot of v.1s or v.2s missing, which is a much bigger problem.

I find that too. If I am out and about and just want to pick something up to read, I would normally want the first couple of issues of something. For longer series I am already collecting I will probably have a pre-order in and I would not want to end up buying twice if I could help it.

I agree about the v1s and 2s, yep. I don't think my local bookshop has ever, ever had DNAngel v7 in. It has pretty much all the rest; all the volumes before and after 7, but never 7. 'Tis frustrating. It's the same with D.Gray-man too, actually. Volume 4 is nowhere to be found but all the others are there.

When I got into Love Hina and started buying volumes 6-14 new, volume 10 had seemingly gone OOP. I had to get a copy second-hand. Luckily for me, an auction for volume 10 appeared on eBay shortly after.

Recently I had to wait for a few old copies of volume 1 of GTO: The Early Years to reach the UK to start buying that series. Since then, volume 1 has gone back out of stock in America, the stock vanishing from Amazon and TBD even quicker.

As for TBD, when orders take a long time it probably means they had to wait from stock from the US. That's what a CS person told me, anyway. They lie about their stock levels.

I've bought Akira V3 for a silly amount of money, just so I could complete the collection. It costed 4 to 5 times the usual price. :(

Also, The twelve Kingdoms V3 seemed to run OOP really soon, just a coupel months from its release.

chaos said:
I've bought Akira V3 for a silly amount of money, just so I could complete the collection. It costed 4 to 5 times the usual price. :(

Also, The twelve Kingdoms V3 seemed to run OOP really soon, just a coupel months from its release.

£80? whoa

unellmay said:
chaos said:

£80? whoa
I thought the original RRP was little less than 15 dolars, no ? I've paid 60 for it in case you're wondering.

chaos said:
unellmay said:
chaos said:

£80? whoa
I thought the original RRP was little less than 15 dolars, no ? I've paid 60 for it in case you're wondering.

It was like £22 rrp in my nearest comic book shop

One thing that annoys me about buying manga is when the change from first edition to second edition and ur left with a ragtag ugly looking collection because they dont have the same font or some ****!

my evangelion manga collection will never be complete :cry:

skikes said:
One thing that annoys me about buying manga is when the change from first edition to second edition and ur left with a ragtag ugly looking collection because they dont have the same font or some ****!

my evangelion manga collection will never be complete :cry:

Funnily enough had that problem finishing off the manga Buddha by Osama Tezuka. I went out my way to get many of the first print and the volumes I could'nt get the first print off I had to buy the reprint. But on inspection the reprint where a lot better quality the orignal and cheaper so I would better finishing the series with all the reprints.

I've heard Tokyopop are no longer gonna publish Kodansha manga.

Does this mean I'm gonna have to go on an insane manga-spending spree before the prices inflate like mad? D:

Can't say i've ever had this problem. Most i've had to pay was twenty quid, and that's usually for the manga that comes out before tokyopop attacked the market (stuff like Ranma /Blade of the Immortal/Akira).

What annoys me is when they don't complete the series! Samurai Deeper Kyo got to Vol. 34 before Tokyopop stopped production. There's only four volumes left! At least finish the series!

I've been collecting Rave Master for four or five years now, and I've got an absolute mess of a collection. New volumes are fine and I've got the first 8 or 9, but anything in the middle is all over the place.

It'd be nice if Tokypop stopped taking random volumes out of print to make space for their "global manga" ****.

Back