old boxset types or new boxset types

bakum4tsu said:
ahah tnks man.

I prefer the think packs or carboard ones. The plastic vhs type isnt that great and is ugly as hell. On the other side, doesnt take too much space for them like thin packs.

I love a good brickset. TO me there's something incredibly satisfying about an entire series incased a single delicious box :p

Rigid thickpack boxed sets with one disc per case were my favourites. Oldest school you can get without being VHS. I don't think anyone is actually producing sets like this any more (Japan?)

If I ran out of space, I'd buy/make more shelves. If I ran out of space for shelves, I'd move to a larger abode.

ayase said:
Rigid thickpack boxed sets with one disc per case were my favourites. Oldest school you can get without being VHS. I don't think anyone is actually producing sets like this any more (Japan?)

If I ran out of space, I'd buy/make more shelves. If I ran out of space for shelves, I'd move to a larger abode.

Western shows sometimes do, usually british/ niche e.g. IT Crowd boxset, Harvey Birdman, they both come in single disced amarays within a cardboard box.

edit: my mistake HB is actually 2 discs per box, but they didn't switch to thins so that's something :p

ayase said:
I don't think anyone is actually producing sets like this any more (Japan?)
Of a fashion. Not necessarily when series are sold as boxsets (they are more likely to be digipacks or some other "weird" thing), but a lot of releases follow the v.1+artbox to fill with other singles style release. The ones that don't only lack the artbox - 99% of series are still released as singles, and most in "thickpak" sized packaging. Some are in regular sized BD cases, but other standards have generally been adopted to allow (I assume) for better packaging/more space for pack-ins.

ilmaestro said:
ayase said:
I don't think anyone is actually producing sets like this any more (Japan?)
Of a fashion. Not necessarily when series are sold as boxsets (they are more likely to be digipacks or some other "weird" thing), but a lot of releases follow the v.1+artbox to fill with other singles style release.
Hmm. Now I'm all nostalgic for the days of Geneon and ADV USA.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
ayase said:

Western shows sometimes do, usually british/ niche e.g. IT Crowd boxset, Harvey Birdman, they both come in single disced amarays within a cardboard box.
The boxes are just cheap, flimsy card of the kind cereal packets are made out of though, aren't they?

NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Some of ADVs boxes were also cereal box card mind (e.g. Mezzo DSA IIRC)
Other than the tin ones, the ultimate boxes in my collection are FUNimation's ones for Negima and Trinity Blood.

What always used to annoy me was that MVM used those nice rigid boxes for their collections, but people who paid out for the singles didn't get a box with one of the volumes, when buyers of the same series in the US often did. It rewarded people who waited and paid less more than those who sprang the cash on day one, one of several things which I don't think helped the endear the singles release method to UK buyers.

Doesn't matter now like, because these days MVM just use plastic bricks anyway.

Yeah, and I have the Paranoia Agent singles. And no box. :(

There might be some old what I would call "proper" boxed sets around from MVM (I think the last ones they did in thinpack format like your PA set were the Slayers series') but AFAIK everything they release now is in a plastic brick.

Back