Ok need some help here guys....

devilrules666

Combat Butler
I have got a ton of anime sitting on my shelf, waiting to be watched and i don't know what to start first.I have waiting for me:

Desert Punk
Death Note
Bleach
Trinity Blood
Solty Rei
Gundam 00
Ouran High School
Code Geass
Devil May Cry
X
Gunparade March
Starship Operators
Dot Hack Roots
Gravion
Raphexon
E's Otherwise
Hellsing Ultimate
Ghost Stories
Eureka Seven
Wolf's Rain
Black Lagoon
XXXholic
Samurai Champloo
FLCL
Darker Than Black

Any help will be appericated!

Oh a bit more: Basilk, Speed Grapher, Cotoye Ragtime Show, Sakuyiri Reload,Ergo Poxy and Heat J Guy

There's a lot of good stuff there. If you want to start with something short, FLCL is the obvious choice. Otherwise I'd say Samurai Champloo. Depends what you're in the mood for.

For me these are essentials from awesome down to brilliant...

Black Lagoon (love this eighties-action style anime with added character depth)
FLCL (transcendental)
Darker Than Black (best action anime this year)
Ouran High School (brilliant reverse harem comedy)
Samurai Champloo (uber coolness not quite in the same league as as predecessor Cowboy Bebop)
Wolf's Rain (A really cool story)
Death Note (The first two thirds is unbeatable, the rest...)

These I have seen and my opinions

Hellsing Ultimate (Great style over substance)
XXXholic (Not a lot of people like this, but I love this, really quirky and spooky)
Solty Rei (Gonzo futuristic mystery action anime by the numbers. Quite a good noir-vibe though Still need to see the end to polish my opinion)
Starship Operators (Semi-realistic sci-fi, great strategy and starship combat, story suffers because of the short length)
Desert Punk (Gonzo futuristic mystery action anime by the numbers. I thought the ending let it down. What's new for Gonzo?)
Devil May Cry (Style over substance, not as great as Hellsing, but I loved it as popcorn action anyway)
X (Jury's out on this one, but at least it's better than the movie)
Gunparade March (Another show with promise, but the run time was short, and it had an unecessary mid season slump)
Trinity Blood (Gonzo futuristic mystery action anime by the numbers. Really, really **** ending. So bad it made me hate the whole series)
Bleach (Shonen interminability. Meh!)

Haven't seen

Gundam 00
Code Geass
Dot Hack Roots
Gravion
Raphexon
E's Otherwise
Ghost Stories
Eureka Seven

The obvious ones have already been mentioned:

I'd say start with Heat Guy J. It's a very enjoyable series and quite light-hearted.

Then move on to the heavyweights: Death note & Wolf's Rain.

However, there's a few on there I haven't seen but those 3 are my top rated from the group that I have seen.

What I've seen, and the order I'd go in:

Death Note
Code Geass
Hellsing Ultimate
Wolf's Rain
Samurai Champloo
Ghost Hunt
Raphexon
Bleach
Darker Than Black
Black Lagoon
Starship Operators
X
XXXholic
Trinity Blood
Dot Hack Roots
Devil May Cry
Gunparade March
E's Otherwise

Hmmm, amusingly, out of anime I have seen, the ones that are on your list are some of my favorites (mostly 8+/10)...

Desert Punk - Hilarity, although not such a great ending imo. (9/10)
Bleach - Excellence. (10/10)
Ouran - Also Hilarity. (9/10)
Devil May Cry - Primarily episodic action series. (8/10)
XXXHolic - Just plain intriguing (sp). (8/10)
Samurai Champloo - Suprisingly funny, great action, has samurais. (8/10)
Coyote Ragtime Show - Was not too keen on this one, tis just a'ight. (5/10)
Saiyuki Reload (I shall assume thats what you meant) - The funniest Saiyuki series, but watch the first series beforehand. (8/10)

pick any of these and you'll be fine and amazed =)

Wolf's Rain
Black Lagoon
XXXholic
Samurai Champloo
FLCL
Darker Than Black

Bleach is good, but it's pretty filler tastic, even in the manga. I would only watch it if I really had nothing better to do, and just switch my brain off.
Out of the other anime I've watched from that list:
Desert Punk- Starts off light hearted and funny at the start, does a U-turn halfway through. I LIKED THE ENDING.
Death Note- Outstanding supernatural thriller, sags towards the end though.
Ouran High School- hilarious, touching, and sometimes cromartie level bizarre.
Code Geass- Death note with mecha, and much more likeable anti-hero
Devil May Cry- I don't rate this very well. Dante wants to be hardcore, but the writers wont let him.
Hellsing Ultimate- Blood, guns, and more blood. I'm surprised that some of the volumes managed to get away with a 15 rating.
Eureka Seven- Code geass meets evangelion, much more understandable than either. It also comes under the 'romance' genre, so expect tear jerker moments.
Samurai Champloo- a lot like it's spiritual predecessor cowboy bebop, but not quite as good. That's not to say that it isn't up there with the best of the rest however.

As for the order you want to watch them in, just watch what you want to watch, depending on your mood.[/spoiler]

Last edited by a moderator:
Kyoraki said:
Desert Punk- Starts off light hearted and funny at the start, does a U-turn halfway through. I LIKED THE ENDING.
I also liked the ending. Also, I recommend watching this show in English if, like me, you find swearing and toilet humour amusing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Desert Punk - depending on if you have the full series or not...from what i've watched of it, its enjoyable and easy to watch....reminds me of trigun (the whole desert thing)
Death Note - unless you have a spare 2 days.....and alot of patience....this 50 ep anime takes ages to get through.
Bleach - i've got the first 3 series boxsets....i enjoy bleach alot so that first 62 eps where nice to watch...took a while though.
Trinity Blood - no comment
Solty Rei - no comment
Gundam 00 - no comment
Ouran High School - no comment
Code Geass - no comment
Devil May Cry - i found this brilliant, enjoyed every ep. although its not long....its nice to sit back and watch.
X - no comment
Gunparade March - no comment
Starship Operators - lol could watch it for a laugh i suppose.
Dot Hack Roots - another relaxing anime
Gravion - not sure....if your after something easy to watch, i'd probably leave this for a while
Raphexon - same as above
E's Otherwise - never even heard of it.
Hellsing Ultimate - nice bit of gratuitous violence does us all some good every now and then :twisted:
Ghost Stories - no comment
Eureka Seven - no comment
Wolf's Rain - probably something to sit and half relax to.
Black Lagoon - i have both series waiting for me to watch for christmas so i dunno :(
XXXholic - looks alright
Samurai Champloo - *shrugs*
FLCL
Darker Than Black - Looks cool so i guess its an option.

in the end....i'd go with either bleach, DMC or desert punk

Desert Punk - Haven't seen it
Death Note - Honestly You've got better things in this list to watch then this but i'm often told off for having this point of view.
Bleach - This is good but you'll need to watch a lot to get the most of it
Trinity Blood - An alright show, not a must watch though
Solty Rei - Haven't seen it
Gundam 00 - ...Is it biased if i think you should defieinatly watch this one?
Ouran High School - Just started to watch this myself, its pretty funny
Code Geass - Haven't seen it (Gundam is better :p )
Devil May Cry - An okay show still not as good as it should of been
X - Haven't seen it
Gunparade March - Haven't seen it
Starship Operators - Haven't seen it
Dot Hack Roots - Only seen the first vol but its slow, and apparently that doesn't change much
Gravion - A fun little show but i wouldn't be in a rush to watch it, be warned though that we only got the first part of the show over here, so it doesn't answer anything practically (annoyingly the answers are in Gravion Zwei which you'll have to get from USA)
Rahxephon - Watch this, i love this show to pieces, and it does give answers.
E's Otherwise - Have't seen it
Hellsing Ultimate - I've heard good things but again haven't seen it
Ghost Stories - Haven't seen it
Eureka Seven - Haven't seen it
Wolf's Rain - A really good show, give it a watch and i'm sure you'll like it
Black Lagoon - Haven't seen it but i've heard good things
XXXholic - Have't seen it
Samurai Champloo - Haven't seen it
FLCL - Haven't seen it
Darker Than Black - Haven't seen it

This is the order I would watch them

Code Geass
Eureka Seven
Black Lagoon
XXXholic
FLCL
Wolf's Rain
Death Note
Bleach
Basilk
Desert Punk
Trinity Blood
Ouran High School
Samurai Champloo
Speed Grapher
Hellsing Ultimate
X
Solty Rei
Heat J Guy
Cotoye Ragtime Show
Dot Hack Roots
Ergo Poxy
Raphexon
Starship Operators
Gunparade March

Darker Than Black - not seen
Ghost Stories - not seen
Gundam 00 - not seen
E's Otherwise - only seen 1 episode
Sakuyiri Reload - not seen
Devil May Cry - not seen
Gravion - not seen

I'm assuming you want to know what to watch next, so I won't tell you how to watch everything and when. Instead I'll make a friendly suggestion.
If you want something entertaining and well made, I'd say, watch Samurai Champloo or Black Lagoon. Champloo's good to watch as it's only the single series and you won't have to climb the walls till you get to see more. Lagoon does however have a sequal but it's not vital in the continuation of the story. You can wait. >.<
For something short and pritty, my vote goes to FLCL. Mixed reviews but I loved it.

You edited with more titles, and I have more opinions...

Basilisk - Ninja action show from Gonzo. Sort of Romeo and Juliet with psychotic special powers. Good premise, starts off slow, gets a bit freak of the week in the middle, but damn it has a really strong ending. Good show. Well worth watching.

Speed Grapher - Gonzo futuristic mystery action anime by the numbers. They do a lot of these. It thinks it has a more adult, mature edge, which basically means sex with the violence. It's not really that mature, but, for a Gonzo by the numbers, it has a good ending.

Coyote Ragtime Show - What the hell was going on here? One of those shows that ADV licensed, that make you understand why they went kaput. I thought it was a massive waste of time. Futuristic caper that wants to be Cowboy Bebop, but can't even be Carry on Cowboy.

Saiyuki Reload - Crap, avoid, dull, naff, repetitive, cheap, nasty.

Heat Guy J - Iffy character designs, but a strong futuristic action show. Doesn't deserve the slating that some give it, but it's not going to break new ground in anime. It'll do as disposable bubblegum fodder.

Ergo Proxy - I'm watching this now. First ten episodes I could have sworn it was the best thing since sliced bread, but now it's hit something of a mid season slump for me, with the writers getting all 'experimental' I'm also beginning to think that under the awesome visuals and great atmospheric audio, there lies a slightly recycled story. Ergo Proxy is like nothing you have ever seen before, except that one show that you can't quite put your finger on.

A few series there I have not seen but they all seem to be pretty well received by most people that have seen them. Of the things I have seen t is probably down more to what you are looking for at the time comedy or action. Black Lagoon, Samurai Champloo, Hellsing and Ouran High School would probably head up my list. Whatever you do though don't watch the Dub of Ghost Stories, not because the voice acting is bad (it is not), the script is terrible changing everything.

I like Trinity Blood and Ergo Proxy not everybody does, and I think Solty Rei and Speed Grapher are under rated. If you like Trigun give Trinity Blood and Solty Rei a go as the stories and characters feel similar in a way.

i'd go for code geass first , there wasn't a second of it i found boring , i'm already half way thru the second season and it hasn't slowed down in momentum , 9/10

Back